So sad

Today is the last day of my holidays. I've been on leave from my day job for the past two weeks and I just don't want to go back :(. The more passionate I become about investing, and building, and renovating (I feel like I can talk about it all day) the harder it becomes.

The last two weeks have been awesome. I haven't run away to some exotic tropical paradise but have been painting our new house, writing and hanging out on this forum. I've had so much fun. They say all good things must come to an end but why do they have to?

Sorry, I'm just having a whine because I feel that Somersoft is a safe environment and if anyone is going to understand it will be you guys.

What you're feeling is the reason we often get the Q on the SS forum: "Can I make a living out of buying, renovating & selling (flipping) property".

Sadly, because of the high transaction costs - stamps to buy, REA comms to sell, plus holding costs & CGT on profits, it can be un-economic for the 'average' renovator. Although to be fair, there are many who can make it work.

. The more passionate I become about investing, and building, and renovating (I feel like I can talk about it all day) the harder it becomes.

Let that become your driver at the day job for now.

Work hard (in a clever way) at your day job.
Become good at it.
The better you are at, the more people are willing to pay you.
The more they pay you the more you can invest.

The Y-man

Let that become your driver at the day job for now.

Work hard (in a clever way) at your day job.
Become good at it.
The better you are at, the more people are willing to pay you.
The more they pay you the more you can invest.

The Y-man

Yet the issue for some of us is that the mo4re time we invest in bettering our day job skills, the less time there actually is to invest and learn about investing (we don't know enough already, otherwise it would not be an issue, we' dalready be doing it..).....

Yet the issue for some of us is that the mo4re time we invest in bettering our day job skills, the less time there actually is to invest and learn about investing (we don't know enough already, otherwise it would not be an issue, we' dalready be doing it..).....

I agree jaycee. A day job is far too slow imo. But I don't think angel13 was talking about quitting per se - just venting on a public forum.

The faster you become a tight wad, miser, frugal, thrifty person, the easier it becomes.
Mindset is the biggest. I was born this way, so it comes really easy and loads of fun:) and I married one too...and have produced 4 offspring with these qualities.

Bought 2 new shirts today. $1 +$1.30
Look brand new. They were on the discount rack in the OP shops..wasn't gonna pay $3-4 each !

When you want to travel..be a housesitter (like us)..many times they even throw in the use of their vehicle.

The 2 of us live really well on $30 week goceries. ..which gives us the 4c litre fuel docket.
There is nothing we deprive ourselves of. It just needs to worth it to us.

We splurge all the time, but it would look very different to the people who need ambiance (we giggle about that word alot in our home)

Good luck. Property is loads of fun. Always a challenge when you have lots of tenants.

The faster you become a tight wad, miser, frugal, thrifty person, the easier it becomes.
Mindset is the biggest. I was born this way, so it comes really easy and loads of fun:) and I married one too...and have produced 4 offspring with these qualities.

Bought 2 new shirts today. $1 +$1.30
Look brand new. They were on the discount rack in the OP shops..wasn't gonna pay $3-4 each !

When you want to travel..be a housesitter (like us)..many times they even throw in the use of their vehicle.

The 2 of us live really well on $30 week goceries. ..which gives us the 4c litre fuel docket.

We splurge all the time, but it would look very different to the people who need ambiance (we giggle about that word alot in our home)

Good luck. Property is loads of fun. Always a challenge when you have lots of tenants.

Sorry, but life holds far more than being a tight wad miser and eating (I have no idea what a family eats) on $30 per week ? and you giggling at the word ambiance.

sorry to say, but how sad. :(

Hey Kathryn,

How do you get $30 groceries for the week? Maybe you should come round and show my parents how to stop wasting money! I will even pay you half the savings you achieve for the family :p

No not in a position to resign just yet, I need the income atm to service the investment portfolio I want to build. The good and bad thing about my day job is that I make quite a good income. It's a double edge sord.

Good because you get decent money to buy nice shoes and investment properties but bad because you are mentally stuck in a job you're good at but you don't have any passion for.

My logical mind won't let me just quite and jump in with both feet but I won't stay in it forever either. I'm setting goals, developing my strategy and doing my planning now. I want to make sure I get my foundation right.

Kathryn, OMG how do you live on $30 p.w. groceries for a family of 6? You have to PM me some of your recipes.

You should start a blog Kathryn teaching people how to live on very little money. I would totally subscribe and I bet there would be lots of other people interested too.

Hey Kathryn,

How do you get $30 groceries for the week? Maybe you should come round and show my parents how to stop wasting money! I will even pay you half the savings you achieve for the family :p

We aren't probably far of it ourselves actually.

Typically for us (2 people)

meat (organic) once or twice a week ($6-$12)
nuts/grains (organic almond/cashews/oats/buckwheat bulk purchased averages $10-$15 pw ?)
fruits (organic) $3-$5 per week
oil, condiments etc ($10~$15 per week ?)

The rest of what we eat we get from our back yard.

(I guess you need to add in the cost of some cow manure and gardening tools) :)

The Y-man

This is without even trying..just because we don't need to...so it is $50
Consider you have some staples in your pantry.
An idea of would be:

xx 5.00 lasagna
xx 1.20 garlic bread
xx 2.79 coffee flavor milk (2 L)
xx 7.69 turkey roast
1.99 potatoes (20 lbs)
.99 cauliflower
2.98 strawberries
* .95 flour
* .95 sugar
1.99 eggs
* 3.79 syrup
1.19 butter
xx 3.99 mince
1.00 bread
.89 tuna
xx 7.00 whole chicken
3.50 stew pak veg
* 1.09 mayonnaise
.40 tomato
--------
* $6.78 will be left over the following week..so can buy more staples
xx= reduced price

2 meals lasagna and bread
2 meals turkey and veggies
7 breakfast pancakes (I make my own from scratch)
2 meals meatloaf
2 meals- tuna sandwiches
2 meals roast chicken
2 meals chicken soup
1 meal egg salad sandwiches
1 meal toasted tomto sandwich

Start slow and actively look at prices, different stores, different brands,

Do a google on $25 week grocery challenge..or thrifty, frugal
Lots of ideas there, if you are interested.

Last edited:
Is the above Canadian prices, Kathryn?

No..we are living in Longford (Sale) Victoria, Australia at the moment. All purchased at the local stores.
When we live in Canada (May-Aug) we find the sales there too.

Every town has different places to find sales, discounts.

Good because you get decent money to buy nice shoes and investment properties but bad because you are mentally stuck in a job you're good at but you don't have any passion for.

That about sums it up for me too! (except for the buying nice shoes part) :)

Regards,

Jason

Sorry, but life holds far more than being a tight wad miser and eating (I have no idea what a family eats) on $30 per week ? and you giggling at the word ambiance.

sorry to say, but how sad. :(

I agree. I enjoy good cheese and fresh fruit and vegies too much for that.

I also buy organic and free range where possible, and better cuts of meat.

Life is for living.

Time for a job/career change perhaps??

If you're still way off retirement, it's probably worth looking at doing something different (assuming you TRUELY dislike like your job).

If it's not that, try and get more time off. More regular rest and recreation might be what you need (or get something that lets you enjoy that).

Well said.......I am sooo...sick of tight arses....

I don't mind saving...but to got to an extreme....shows a very state of mind. Most people don't like tight arses...as they also display other poor behaviours which do not endear people to them.

Being able to be generous and forgiving is one of the greatest gifts! Having said that...being frivilious without limits is also not a good thing. A balance in life is always good!

I agree. I enjoy good cheese and fresh fruit and vegies too much for that.

I also buy organic and free range where possible, and better cuts of meat.

Life is for living.

Back