Somersoft Cars

My partners 17 year old daughter purchased a funky kermit green Mazda 2. These appear to be all the rage with young females. I owned one a few years back and are cheap to run and reliable.

My wife drives a Mazda 2 Genki, completely boring for me, but she loves it to bits.

They certainly do the job though, and flip the rear seats down and you have quite a large space for transporting larger objects. Reasonable fuel consumption.

You should come and see what comes through our doors! :eek:

The newer smaller cars are so good these days, it is my opinion that something like a 2 year old Hyundai Getz, or Accent, or even an I-30 (depends on budget) is perfect.

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, reliable, parts easily available most times, economical.

Not as sexy as a VW Golf, but there you go.

The I-30 is sexy enough I reckon. Turbo deisel if you can. Woohoo.

As for second hand; don't buy anything over 100km's privately.

I know there will be folks come on now and dispute that statement and say they have had no issues with privately bought second hand cars (we see a few horror stories through here).

But, unless you really know a lot about cars and can spot the dodginess, it is generally safer to go through a larger, reputable dealership. and get a warranty on the sale.

Good tips, now I need another, how do you persuade a 17 year old that you don't need sexy?? :)

Good tips, now I need another, how do you persuade a 17 year old that you don't need sexy?? :)

Tell her that shes going to want to replace her car for something fancier soon as she is 18-19 anyway.

At least she can bang this one up and not feel AS bad. And can spend a little pocket money pimping it up with rims, car seat covers and silly stickers if she so wishes.

Ahh, now THAT is impossible :) you DO so NEEEEED to be sexy at 17 :)

My daughter had a bright red 4 door laser back when she was 17. It was called "Elmo" and all the Elmo trimmings :) Anyone would have thought she was 7 not 17 :)

She still speaks of Elmo fondly. (got sold to go OS)

My wife drives a Mazda 2 Genki, completely boring for me, but she loves it to bits.

You're not driving it hard enough, and the tyres are probably underinflated. :D

My Mazda 2 Neo handles surprisingly well (and I did own a BME 323i and VR4 in my racetrack days). I found the odd thing (fitted with $69 kmart tyres) is that at limit on cornering the inside rear lifts off before the front washes out, leading to some interesting bumps and thumps as you ease off the throttle. The auto's ratios are all out of kilter tho - needs a higher first badly.

The Y-man

That's what I hate about it, the gearing is terrible. A veritable tractor imho.

Do you find the sound insulation a bit lacking too?

Maybe I'm just spoiled. :p

Nah - try driving a Suzuki Sieraa (no roof lining- bare metal!) or aforementioned Daihatsu Charade G11 (again all bare metal as a courier "van") :D

The Y-man

Tell her that shes going to want to replace her car for something fancier soon as she is 18-19 anyway.

At least she can bang this one up and not feel AS bad. And can spend a little pocket money pimping it up with rims, car seat covers and silly stickers if she so wishes.

LOL, and I wont feel too bad either.

Ahh, now THAT is impossible :) you DO so NEEEEED to be sexy at 17 :)

My daughter had a bright red 4 door laser back when she was 17. It was called "Elmo" and all the Elmo trimmings :) Anyone would have thought she was 7 not 17 :)

She still speaks of Elmo fondly. (got sold to go OS)

She can have my Peugeot 207 convertible, I absolutely hate it, never touch this car, they are shoit. DH purchased for my birthday, big mistake, now how do you travel in this with dogs, seriously, not too mention its an absolute dud.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...mH4GRkwWAqYD4Bg&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=571

I will go for the practical car that my daughter should be driving, exchange gladly.

Mazda 3? Pretty solid and reliable cars.

Honda Jazz is another good shout, and I wouldn't have an issue with any of the most recent models out of South Korea.

Mazda MX5.

Solid mechanicals, great drive.

I have now sold mine, but it was a great car and a really good way to learn the fundamentals of car control

My Toy Subaru BRZ 2013

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 94
At the risk of reopening a dead post, here is my baby. In a way it is my dream car. Over the last few years we have been on a pretty solid investment bender, buying or building just over 10 properties, and have had a reasonable level of success with them. We have spent so much time focusing on investing for the future and working, and not an enormous amount of time on "now".

Recently I had a fairly serious back injury resulting in me requiring a spinal fusion, which unfortunately took 3 very stressful surgeries in 3 months after complications with the first 2 to finally nail it. It was a very stressful time for us but one of the "positives" for me was it gave me some perspective on a number of things, one of those being is that it is OK to stop and enjoy or reward yourself occasionally.

Anyways blah blah..

I've always been an Audi man, having owned a number of reasonably quick lowered turbocharged things. Fun, but generally horrible on Brisbane roads.

The Rangie is so comfortable and just a serious cruiser. It's not fast, it doesn't corner particularly well, but it really is enjoyable to drive.

I am not ignorant of the fact some people may think I'm a w#nker for buying one, but I don't care because it is undoubtedly the best car I have ever owned. I'm half pom too :D

It has certainly dented our serviceability, but I don't care, because I am now trying to focus a bit more on "Now".

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 84
I can't see it mate the photo is tiny, it doesn't appear to enlarge when clicked on. Is it one of those Suby BRZ/Toyota beasts?

They are supposed to be heaps of fun. There is a monster version coming out in the not too distant future.

I can't see it mate the photo is tiny, it doesn't appear to enlarge when clicked on. Is it one of those Suby BRZ/Toyota beasts?

They are supposed to be heaps of fun. There is a monster version coming out in the not too distant future.

Its a 2014 Toyota 86 same as the BRZ but cheaper, sorry Ben ;)

Lots a fun and and looking forward to pushing the limits at the local racetrack (Wanneroo).

Not sure why that happened. Better view on this thread if you scroll down a bit.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94350&page=4

I actually really like the lines on the 86 mate. It reminds me of a mini Aston Martin. They did a fantastic job with those things. I can't wait to get behind the wheel of something like that again. In the last 3 years we've had an auto Astra (kill me now) and a non-turbo forester, then the Rangie. None of which are known for exhilarating driving experience :D

Back