Somersoft Cars

Picked up a new 2012 E250 coupe diesel recently for 40% off retail from dealer courtesy of a friend. Hoping to turn a 10-15k profit when I resell in a few years according to the friend. The guy buys over a dozen of these every year for trading and for fun.

I want one of these too. They cost about 100k from dealer according to mercedes benz website. How do I get 40% off?

how do you have fun in a diesel?

Diesels have come a long way from when they were used in crappy vans. Some are almost as quick as petrol engines. They only have lower 'power' because of their low rpm but this has no impact on performance. Power is just calculated by rpm x torque x 60 x 2π.

yeah but the power delivery is just not the same with a diesel, theres no orgasmic sound, or valves dancing on the bonnet. Diesels are still a bit agricultural, this is all IMO ofcourse

I want one of these too. They cost about 100k from dealer according to mercedes benz website. How do I get 40% off?

The guy buys over a dozen of these from the same merc dealer every year on top of the dozens of porsches, beamers etc he trades (for his own friends and himself) so has a bit of pull with dealers. This one had a 127k drive away (due to options upgrades) but I picked it up for much less. Can't flip it without the upgrades (according to my friend)

Re diesel vs petrol, I'm not sure as I'm not a car person. But the same friend tells me diesel is an option worth a few k more, so I took it since the petrol one was selling for around same price any way.

I like the idea of buying luxury cars to make money you see and once you've tasted that, you'll never want to buy a car for fun any more. I asked him a few days ago if I could get same deal with astons or maseratis and he said there's no second hand market in Australia so those cars will drop in value very quickly so I dropped the idea.

It's pretty rare that a car appreciates in value. Different story when you are getting it for (below?) cost anyway, he's probably doing that to get his quantities up.

Only other time I've heard of a car appreciating in value is vintage cars that are really really rare :)

It's pretty rare that a car appreciates in value. Different story when you are getting it for (below?) cost anyway, he's probably doing that to get his quantities up.

It's not about appreciating in absolute value. It's about the tax breaks that are associated with holding the car then selling.

We just bought a 2011 VW Caddy (auto, long wheel base turbo diesel, for those interested in such things). Both our Corollas run perfectly fine, but they just weren't big enough for the property side of things - there was no way I could fit all the linen from a two bedroom property into a Corolla for one trip home (I always wash all linen myself between lets) - let alone cleaning gear etc. And don't even ask about doing any kind of gardening or reno work!

So yes we succumbed and bought the Caddy. Brilliant little van, handles like a dream, even I can reverse park it, and it carries everything! It had 5,500 kms and was basically brand new, for $25K. We're really happy with it :D

Now we just need to offload my Corolla. Anybody know anyone who is in the market for a 1994 auto Corolla? Very few k's - only about 70,000 or so, in great cond and easy to drive. One careful lady driver :p

Only other time I've heard of a car appreciating in value is vintage cars that are really really rare :)

They dont have to be all that rare.
A brand new Holden in the 60's was about $2k-$3k, most are now worth more than that now. A really nice one can be worth 10 times its new car price.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/holden-hr-1967-13609969?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=0&eapi=2&__N=1216+1246+1252+1247+1282+4294965857+4294677201&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:1960,1970&sort=Price

A brand new Holden in the 60's was about $2k-$3k, most are now worth more than that now. A really nice one can be worth 10 times its new car price.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/holden-hr-1967-13609969?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=0&eapi=2&__N=1216+1246+1252+1247+1282+4294965857+4294677201&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year:1960,1970&sort=Price

Agree that is inflation.

I did it.

We bought a near new Mazda MX% for $24ka nd sold it two years later for $26k after adding 25km.

How? We it was an immaculate sunday drive for a wealthy colleague who wanted to offload for a new toy. And the $ went south so prices of new MX5 rose so prices of 2nd hand sent up as well.

So our member with his Merc Diesel may well do well if the $ goes down.

Regards Peter 14.7

PS lost a fortune on a Alfa.

I knew someone would link the audi to this thread, im not even going to try to explain why it doesn’t belong here.

Also lol at 200kw, the torque is nice… for a tractor

Here is an exact copy of my car - 1993 BMW 318is Silver 2 door with sunroof. I paid cash for it when I was 19- part of me wishes I had put the money towards a deposit!! Put 17 inch M3 wheels on it (as in picture), replaced stock mirrors with m3 mirrors, and spent $1500 on the stereo system. 3.5 years later, still only has approx 120,000km on it. Happy to keep for a few more years yet as well serviced and beautiful to drive.

4c6c9ef5d732aec6c83575373.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Relatively speaking it's damn rare.

My dad had an old Holden like that. I remember him driving it around in the 80s. awkward80smemorieslol

I sold my big ol beast, a 1981 Ford Bronco XLT 351 earlier this year. It was in very ordinary condition, with more rust than when I bought it 5 years earlier. Still, I got about $1500 more than what I paid for it. An unlikely future classic I think, and am sure I will regret selling it one day. I didn't have the time or the garage space to carry out what it really needed.

Back