TC's 2009 farm thread

Did you buy the renovator or can you hire them?

We decided to buy this one. We may hire it out or do a bit of contract work to justify the purchase. This is the best unit we've seen. There are a few home made ones around here that don't work real well.

Wheel tracks this year have been a problem for everyone. There are lots and lots of paddocks that have been ploughed up for the first time in many years, just because of the terrible wheel tracks from the metre plus of rain last year. Also lots of people have used 'Kelly disk harrows' to try to pull dirt into the wheel tracks.

Not as much undisturbed standing stubble this year as normal.

See ya's.

We decided to buy this one. We may hire it out or do a bit of contract work to justify the purchase. This is the best unit we've seen. There are a few home made ones around here that don't work real well.

Wheel tracks this year have been a problem for everyone. There are lots and lots of paddocks that have been ploughed up for the first time in many years, just because of the terrible wheel tracks from the metre plus of rain last year. Also lots of people have used 'Kelly disk harrows' to try to pull dirt into the wheel tracks.

Not as much undisturbed standing stubble this year as normal.

See ya's.

How well do the kelly harrows work, I'd imagine that they wouldn't be as good as the renovator.

I was wondering how the rural types feel about the unholy alliance between farmers and the despised greens in opposition to the mining companies?

If it's an alliance, it's only on the one issue. There is certainly no alliance on any other issue. And I believe the mining verses farming issue is one that involves everyone, not just farmers and miners. With the amount of money being thrown at farmers to buy them out, farmers have quietened down a bit.

The Australian population needs to decide what level of long term food security they want, verses short term wealth generated from mining. So it should concern everyone. If a coal mining company comes along to me and offers twice what my farm is worth I'm going to take the money, so why is it my problem? It's not my problem, but it's everyone else's problem.

Not sure what the big deal is. People with differing opinions can come together all the time to achieve a certain objective.

See ya's.

Differing opinions? Thought it might be a bit stronger than that.

Anyway, just confirms one of Paul Keatings best sayings: "Always back self interest"

Differing opinions? Thought it might be a bit stronger than that.

Anyway, just confirms one of Paul Keatings best sayings: "Always back self interest"

Yeah, right. Self interest eh?

Read this. This is whats happening here,.....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-up-43-nsw-farms/story-e6frg6nf-1226082387428

A CHINESE government-controlled mining giant has spent $213 million buying up 43 farms so it can explore for coal outside the NSW township of Gunnedah.

The mining boom has triggered an overnight property boom for the rural community 500km northwest of Sydney.

A NSW title search reveals that Shenhua Watermark Coal carried out a two-year spending spree in 2009 and 2010, making some of the sellers instant millionaires.

Some of the properties changed hands for 10 times more than their previous sale price.

The highest price the Chinese miner paid was $18.3m for 1051ha of land at Curlewis.

Shenhua paid $5.2m to a farmer for a house on four lots of land totalling 594ha in Duddy Road, Breeza, last November -- a property that last sold in 2002 for $376,000.

A 183ha property along the Kamilaroi Highway at Breeza sold for $1.9m in June 2009 -- more than five times its previous sale price of $350,000.

A farmhouse on 535ha that sold for $500,000 in 1993 fetched $9.2m in 2009.

Shenhua Watermark Coal -- a subsidiary of the world's biggest coal company, Shenhua Energy -- is seeking NSW government approval for a coalmine on the Liverpool Plains, surrounding Gunnedah."

If it was self interest farmers would be on the miners side.

As I said before, this is an issue that all Australians need to decide.

See ya's.

Then what's all the hoo-ha about?

Why not just accept the miners big $$$ and be done with it?

When any group or individual makes an alliance with a previously disliked group or person, there is usually only one reason. And that is its in their benefit. As in 'self interest'.

When it is between such polar opposed groups as the right wing conservative farmers and the very left wing greens, there can be only one reason.

But i do agree its an issue for all Australians. Especially with importing apples etc from countries with much lower input costs for one eg. Is this just the beginning?

Yeah, right. Self interest eh?

Read this. This is whats happening here,.....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-up-43-nsw-farms/story-e6frg6nf-1226082387428

If it was self interest farmers would be on the miners side.

As I said before, this is an issue that all Australians need to decide.

See ya's.

Then what's all the hoo-ha about? ?

Hoo-ha? Dunno. Is there hoo-ha? You were the one who mentioned it in this thread, not me. I don't read the city papers. Is it on the front cover? There was a 4 corners show on it 2 and a half years ago.

Why not just accept the miners big $$$ and be done with it??

That's pretty much whats happening.

But i do agree its an issue for all Australians. Especially with importing apples etc from countries with much lower input costs for one eg. Is this just the beginning?

It's supposedly free trade. Open slather, unless there is disease issues. Disease issues is why bananas haven't been imported after the cyclone. And that is the argument regarding apples from New Zealand. They have fire blight and we don't. So aussie apple growers don't want to take the risk. But apparently the risk is not big enough, so we are going to get NZ apples.

Apples, as in all other veges and fruits require high labour inputs. So these will always be under pressure from imported vege and fruit product. Every other major farm product Australia produces involves little labour as a percentage of cost. Just like mining. So I don't see it as an issue for anything else. As far as broadacre farming goes, the other countries need to be worried about us when they get rid of their ridiculous farm subsidies. And hopefully farm subsidies will go now that they are all broke.

See ya's.

Wheat crop going good.

Our wheat crop is looking good. Last year it was too wet from start to finish, and then ended up with a poor yield, and buggered feed grain as it wouldn't stop raining. This year it's been just right so far. It was a bit dry at the start, dry through July, then a good 35 mills in late August, and another 35 mills a few days ago. Perfect really.

I sprayed the wheat last week for broadleaf weeds. I also added a fungicide as a preventative measure against stripe rust. It will need another spray for rust later on. Photos from our john deere sprayer.

soccersemifinal2011091.jpg

soccersemifinal2011094.jpg

A youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFEsaiJzTh4

Doing 22 ks an hour and covering 27 metres. Putting out 50 liters per hectare of water and chemical. It's really jumped away now since the rain. We have a full soil water profile, so we should grow a decent crop now even with no more rain, and the potential is there for a big yield.

See ya's.

There's some rain coming. Good.

I've borrowed a fertilizer spreader off another farmer and have been puting on more Nitrogen, hoping for a bigger yield and higher protein wheat. There will be a good premium this year for high protein, high quality wheat.

We had some Victorian farmers visit the Liverpool plains last week. They came to my farm and a few others, and we ended up at a local pub for some beers and a meal. A good time was had by all and everyone leant something of value.

A few farmers from this area went for the day with the Victorians on their bus. Here we are all looking at a good wheat crop, This wheat should yield 5 tonnes per hectare or even more if we get rain tomorrow.

gippslandtoursept2011055a.jpg

Not all crops are good this year in this area. Some are horrible. It all depends on stored soil water. We have had a dryer than normal year. For me, I've had just the right amount, but others have had not enough.

Checking out a farmers boom spray fitted with weed seeker technology. Tiny cameras see the weeds, and a spray nozzle hits the weed with chemical. It means only the weeds are sprayed and not the dirt.

gippslandtoursept2011051a.jpg

Plenty of booms are getting fitted with this technology now to cut costs.

Grain prices have been hammered with all the global financial worries. All commodities have plunged. Thankfully the drop in the aussie dollar softens the impact.

I've got some sorghum production locked in for next season at $210 and $215 per tonne on farm.

One morning when I woke up, the sun was red from some fires somewhere, so I took a photo of it from my veranda, The tree in the photo got wrecked from storms in March.

gippslandtoursept2011044a.jpg

See ya's.

This is a fantastic thread TC, the photos are brilliant.

I started reading, got to page 10 and realised I had another 11 to go! So forgive me, but I skipped through, stopping for picture updates, quite quickly until the last two, to catch up!

The cameras are amazing. Not only to cut costs but in terms of the chemical being spot on target. Just amazing.

Regards JO

Did you hedge the A$ sub-parity?

Nope.

30 mills of rain overnight and still raining. Who ho! This is a perfect season so far for my wheat crop. It's been a long time since it's been this good, as in just the right amount of rain. But a lot could still go wrong yet.

I've borrowed a fertilizer spreader

I've been flat out getting the urea on before the rain. The little spreader holds 2 tonnes. Augering straight out of the silo, so takes just a minute to fill.

crocketsspreader001a.jpg

I'm running up the boom spray tramtracks, doing a 27 metre swath.

crocketsspreader003a.jpg

So while it looks like I'm running over a lot of crop, there is really some hard tracks there, just the width of my tires. The same tracks the boom spray runs on, and the planter. Urea is going out at 100 kilos per hectare, so that's 46 kgs per hectare of Nitrogen. I got washed out yesterday arvo, but got done nearly all that I wanted to do.

I need to buy a spreader like this myself.

As soon as it drys out a bit I will put on another fungicide for rust on the whole crop. Assuming nothing goes badly wrong, as in a mid October or later frost, or some other problem like a flood or something, this crop could well go 6 tonnes per hectare.

See ya's.

3m centres

G day TC, good to hear things are holding up well for you, we had similar rain down here to keep the yield potential in our crops too. Just wondering about your hub extensions on your tractor, have you had any issues with those extensions(on the front). We are about to move our tractor out to 3m but have heard some bad storied about front axles and planetries etc. Also do you need to do any reconditioning more often because of them. Hope the weather stays kind.

We had some Victorian farmers visit the Liverpool plains last week. They came to my farm and a few others, and we ended up at a local pub for some beers and a meal. A good time was had by all and everyone leant something of value.

A few farmers from this area went for the day with the Victorians on their bus. Here we are all looking at a good wheat crop, This wheat should yield 5 tonnes per hectare or even more if we get rain tomorrow.
They look like an intelligent bunch of blokes, don't they.

Just wondering about your hub extensions on your tractor, have you had any issues with those extensions(on the front). We are about to move our tractor out to 3m but have heard some bad storied about front axles and planetries etc. Also do you need to do any reconditioning more often because of them. Hope the weather stays kind.

We bought the tractor new from deere on 3 metre centres. They will cover for warranty unless you put a loader or tanks or any other heavy thing on the front. Most big tractors in this area are on 3 metres now, so manufacturers have to supply or they would lose business.

I haven't heard any bad stories.

See ya's.

Just wondering about your hub extensions on your tractor, have you had any issues with those extensions(on the front). We are about to move our tractor out to 3m but have heard some bad storied about front axles and planetries etc. Also do you need to do any reconditioning more often because of them.

Hub extensions
The cotton reel type extensions do put a lot of extra load on the steering kingpins and axle bearings. These would definitely require reconditioning earlier. Some people that are worried about the load extend the axle so that the load on the kingpins remains the same. I don't think it would harm the planetries because they are delivering a torsional load.

576809.jpg

jd8400_attached.jpg

Cheers Plainsfarmer

It's been a dry year after a very wet year last season. We have had only 450 mills for the whole year, which is way behind average.

We started planting sorghum on the 21st October, and it took about 10 days. It went in nicely and has germinated fine without any rain. We have not had a drop now for about 5 weeks, but big rain is forecast for the next week.

A photo of our sorghum crop, planted 3 weeks ago,...

farm16thnov2011006.jpg

My wheat crop has had only 160 mills total since it was planted. Last years crop had constant rain, and about 550 mills. But last years wheat crop had way too much rain and was one of the worst we'd ever grown. This years wheat crop could have done with a bit more, but it will be far better than last years waterlogged disease ridden one.

It has finished filling, and is starting to rippen. The rain that is forecast for this week shouldn't downgrade the quality yet, as the grain is still soft and moist and a bit green.

farm16thnov2011010.jpg

As this wheat crop has only had 160 mills since planting, it has mostly been growing on stored soil water. There would have been 250 to 300 mills stored in the soil before planting, and this is mostly what the crop grew on and is why it will have a pretty good yield. This crop should have yielded 5 tonnes per hectare had it got a bit of rain a few weeks ago. It still might go that yet, as it doesn't seem to have suffered at all, but I think the yield will be less than 5 now.

As the crop sucks all the water out of the black soil, the soil cracks open. Photo of cracked open soil.

farm16thnov2011008.jpg

These cracks will fill in again once the crop is taken off and rain fills the soil profile in the fallow period, and then once again the next crop will use up the next 250 to 300 mills stored in the soil. This soil type is just like a great big sponge. It's a good thing too when it cracks open like this, as it's good for soil structure and letting air and nutrients get down deep into the profile.

This soil will hold way more water than most other arable soils anywhere in the world. It occures in northern NSW and the Darling Downs of QLD. Also in a few other places in Australia and the world. It's ideal for growing crops in an area that gets the amount of rain I do, as in 600 to 700 mills per year of summer dominant rain. But it's prone to water logging in a wet season or wet winter, and it would be terrible soil in an area that gets say a 1000 mills or more per year, and would probably just turn into a useless swampy area.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Back