Teenagers, Piercing and Tattoos

I'd send her away to boarding school/nunnery and get her away from all these tattooed, pierced friends of hers and their permissive parents. It's tattoos and piercings now, what will they be getting up to when they're 17??

I'm not sure of the age requirement but girl guides are another option before trying the nunnery to get away from pierced and tattooed goons. Apparently kids are having sex in the schoolyard these days so it could be worse than getting a tattoo. Back in my day we'd get a clip around the ear if we didn't get off the lawn.

kids-are-having-sex-in-the-schoolyard

I'm not sure of the age requirement but girl guides are another option before trying the nunnery to get away from pierced and tattooed goons. Apparently kids are having sex in the schoolyard these days so it could be worse than getting a tattoo. Back in my day we'd get a clip around the ear if we didn't get off the lawn.

kids-are-having-sex-in-the-schoolyard

Yes there's definately worse things! My daughter heard two boys talking about another girl in their year. She's pregnant,keeping the baby and been taking stuff. My daughter didn't know what it was so she was asking me. So I'm running through things... Vitamins, Folic Acid, ecstacy, LSD, acid, trips? Ended up being acid/ trips.

I was a bit of a rebellious teenager (sorry Mum) and whilst my parents were good influences, my friendship group wasn't.

In the end I got out without a child or a strange name on my butt, and relatively stable.

I have 10 or so piercings now, but I've removed a few over the last few years. I don't have any tattoos.

I don't think my piercings matter, and at the time of getting them I think it was made into a bigger deal than it should've been, but I wouldn't allow my child to get a tattoo before 18. In saying this, many tattoos aren't completely permanent anymore with laser treatment.

Worry about it when we get to it, I suppose.

I don't think who you are as a teenager necessarily determines who you will be when you're an adult.

No, but I was one.

I didn't think you had teens.

It's a responsibility of a parent to guide their children - naturally. However, there's a stark difference between guidance and imposition. We are talking matters of aesthetics (as opposed to say health, morality) here.

Now I'm confused. Are you now saying you think THEY can decide to get tattoos because they are not a big deal?

So would you still let them make that decision if it did have the potential to affect them negatively or they were a big deal, as some parents here feel?

I don't think the issues are health and morality that dictate most parents decisions in this case btw.

Why not explain the pros and cons of the potential decision. That most people DO judge based on appearance, that many professions will be off-limits etc etc and let your young adult make an informed choice?

Learning from mistakes is a good thing after one makes a mistake but as a parent letting them walk straight into one is not teaching/reinforcing right from wrong either. It has the potential to confuse further if anything.

You teach children to make responsible informed decisions but as a parent you step in when they're about to make a bad choices.

Shock horror, sometimes you might even have to stunt their growth and say NO ;).

Last edited:
Just curious... at what age is it legal for a person to be able to get a tattoo without parental permission?

16... 18yo?

Yakuza

Side issue, I watched a show some years ago about the Japanese Mafia known as Yakuza and how they spend years tattooing their entire torso.

Naked, a fully tattooed yakuza looks like he's wearing long underwear. Dragons, flowers, mountainous landscapes, turbulent seascapes, gang insignias and abstract designs are typical images used for yakuza body art. Very painful process, but even more painful if you need to remove this.

http://amazingstuff.co.uk/art/amazing-yakuza-tattoos-2/#.Ukj7A8WQ_IU

Then I cannot do a thing about it.

I am very heavily tattooed,full back and upper arms,although you would never know as my shirt covers them up.These are from my younger club years.
I have always told the kids they bloody hurt and they do.Recently my daughter turned 18,and got a tattoo on her back,she asked my opinion,i said i would advise no,but you make your own choices,i get a lot of respect for this attitude from me kids.

I have a tatt on my shoulder blade - a butterfly - and two earring piercings per ear ... all done in my 20's many many many moons ago before they became trendy.

But that's all - can't be bothered with other piercings, especially seeing my niece having so much angst with her belly button ring getting caught on everything - clothes, towels, sheets etc - and, as a result, almost constantly infected.

I too think the face studs look like big zits and just don't get the tongue thing ... and really really don't get the plugs and stretching rings in ears.

As for tatts - I don't mind a discrete or attractive tatt on a girl, but make it of "something". One of my stepdaughter's had a stylised dragon put on right across her midriff and lower back - designed by her sister - but it's so stylised that no one can tell what the heck it is and it just looks like a mess. She's tried having it re-inked and added to, to make it more identifiable, but just made it worse.

Under 18 you can only be pierced with parental consent, and then there is a limitation on what they can do. It is now illegal to tattoo anyone under 18 years, even with parental consent. Problem is good quality tattoo artists abide by the rules, the crap ones don't. If the 18yo is hell bent on getting a tatt, then at least encourage them to go to a quality artist, with a clean studio!
I have lots of mates with tatt's, but i dont have any.

piercings however i have a couple. I had second lot of studs put in my ears at 18.

I had my belly button done when i was 19, it will now not heal up or close over, as i have re-pierced it myself a couple of times, so its permanently open. Even when i went through pregnancy i had no issues with the hole or scaring. My friend was pierced at the same time as me, hers grew out over night about 4 weeks after she was pierced. Basically your body rejects the metal so tries to push it out of your body. If the piercing isn't done deep enough then this happens!.

I had my nose pierced when i was 21. I found it did not want to heal even 4 months later. I ended up taking it out for a job interview, and by the time i got home that afternoon it had partially healed up and i couldn't get it re-pierced so i just never bothered with it.

I had my lip pierced when i was 31. I've had that piercing now for 6 yrs. Again a good quality piercer who knows what their doing, because i have had no gum issues, it sits really good in my mouth/face and i don't even notice im wearing it half the time. Work had no issue with it, and as i work government it's never come up, nor have i been discriminated for having it in future roles i have applied for in the company i work for.

Im with pinkboy.... there is just that bit of pleasure from getting pierced which is why we do it!. Its the same for people getting tattooed aswell, well my friends who are addicted to tattoos anyhow!

I used to like the idea of a tattoo, but now it's everywhere so I'm not interested any more.

Re kids, I can live with anything that's not permanent, so piercings mostly ok, crazy hair, whatever. Tattoos, no.

This was happening when I was kid...back in the early 70's.

Year 7 was when I first heard of it.

I didn't know about chastity belts until the mid 80's and that was schoolyard talk about Vikings so I didn't realize it was happening in Australia too :eek:

Be grateful for a small tramp stamp on the lower back, a rose on the shoulder or a bluebird on the ankle, a bellybutton piercing, or a tribal sleeve...it could be worse

jesse-thornhill-465579652-235709.jpg

maria-jose-cristerna-vampire.jpg

Maria-Hose-Cristerna-vampire-woman1.jpg

large-horn-implants-1.jpg
Interesting.

I wonder what sort of jobs they have...my first instinct is tattooists, but who knows.

I didn't know about chastity belts until the mid 80's and that was schoolyard talk about Vikings so I didn't realize it was happening in Australia too :eek:
I guess you are joking? :confused::D

I meant the kids were having sex...

In the sports equipment shed, apparently.

Back