Teenagers, Piercing and Tattoos

I have my ears pierced and that is as far as piercing would ever go with me.

My daughter is very headstrong, nothing I said made any difference. My sister, damn well paid for my daughter to have her belly button pierced when she turned 16. I made her care for the after care of it and deal with it when it got infected. She had it for years, finally let it close over, but recently had it redone.

She always wanted a tat. I personally think they are disgusting, so off she went when she was 18, and had a discrete one done on her foot. You can just see it on the side of her foot where her shoe is. Have to say it is rather tasteful and not in your face. Only thing is she wanted "princess", idiot tattooist with his fancy writing it actually reads " rhincess" she now regrets it and wants to have it removed.

I work with lots of 20s and 30 year olds who have tats, nearly all of them. Most of them small and discrete because of our profession, sure they have others though. I have some 40 year old girlfriends who have huge tats, but why have them on your back and hip where you can't see them? I nursed a pregnant girl with a dolphin on her stomach, sure it would not have been a nice tart after her baby.... I think nothing looks worse then having nice clothes on with half or full tats showing....

Back in my 20's the 'in thing' was tramp stamps.

Fast foward to today, I have NEVER met a single girl who hasn't made some kind of shameful 'oh, I was young and foolish when I had that done, boy I was an idiot' type comment when I saw them (and they usually try to hide them). Same same with Chinese characters, etc.

Sleeves are the Tramp Stamps of 2023... you heard it here first!

If there was some way of investing in tatoo removal I'd be all over that.

In regards to tattoo's... what will be cool/relevant in 10-20-30 years time....? Pretty much nothing, except for perhaps your kids, parents or siblings names (if you had any).

I remember seeing a beautiful young girl with the word 'GOONIES' tattooed across her chest/collarbone... as in the movie from the 80's... that was probably about as cool as a 'Monkey' T shirt... i.e. 3 months. Such a shame, it looked hideous.

My cousin is a hairdresser and she works alongside a make-up artist when they get booked for weddings. Apparently there are a huge number of women with tattoos who request them to be covered in make up for their wedding :p

My cousin is a hairdresser and she works alongside a make-up artist when they get booked for weddings. Apparently there are a huge number of women with tattoos who request them to be covered in make up for their wedding :p

No surprise there. Lots of things that 19 year olds think are cool turn out to be kinda stupid when they're 25. I've met lots of people in their 20s who don't like the tattoos they got only a few years earlier.

Some piercings perhaps, but tattooes definitely not.

Show her some pics of old grannies with tatts, because that will be her reality!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...QW4rIHgCA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=654&dpr=1

If she still wants them once she is 18 there is not much you can do.

it's funny how this is usually the first argument that comes up in tattoo discussions.

there is no difference in (un)attractiveness of old grannies (no offense to them)

wrinkly skin looks equally bad whether it has tattoo on it or not.

I interviewed a young bloke for a job recently. He kept pulling his collar up and I noticed he had a tatt on his neck. It immediately, and probably illogically, turned me off him. My immediate thought was: 'This guy did a dumb thing. Was it a rash moment, or does he regularly do dumb things?'
I didn't want to take the risk of him doing dumb things working for us. It's the way a lot of employers think, and as I said it may not be logical.
My parting question was: 'You'd be rethinking the tattoo?'
His answer: 'Every time I see it.'

My sister moved out with her boyfriend when she was 18. They went and got tattoos together. My sis wanted a redback spider. She is grateful Tattooist talked her into getting a butterfly instead. She has had it lasered since to get rid of it then after it faded got it tattooed back on. She's had a few more done, one was of a previous married surname whick she's had lasered and tattooed over. She puts make up on one for weddings/formal occasions.

I interviewed a young bloke for a job recently. He kept pulling his collar up and I noticed he had a tatt on his neck. It immediately, and probably illogically, turned me off him. My immediate thought was: 'This guy did a dumb thing. Was it a rash moment, or does he regularly do dumb things?'
I didn't want to take the risk of him doing dumb things working for us. It's the way a lot of employers think, and as I said it may not be logical.
My parting question was: 'You'd be rethinking the tattoo?'
His answer: 'Every time I see it.'
It is a human nature inner question as you say.

But, like Geoff, I've employed several younger folk over my years - all males (golf apprentices) and all of them did dumb things along the way.

Interestingly, none had tattoos - not a trend amongst would-be golf pros so far..

But, despite dumb actions at times, all of them were pretty good boys, and mostly pretty good employees.

Some had to be taken under the wing and you become a sort of father figure - training them in golf, but also in life.

I don't mind that at all, and I reckon many employers have to do this with their younger employees.

My Boss was like that with me. Sort like a father figure, which was good in my case because I was living a long way from home.

Thinking back, I did many dumb things too as a younger man/teenager, but I turned out alright.

Your tattooed applicant may turn out to be the best employee you ever had.

One of the guys who works down the road from us at the local auto parts shop is in his mid-20's, and has progressed from counter server to that and sales rep on the road as well.

He is bloody terrific - and covered in tattoos, which he can cover up should he need to.

Yep, he may indeed have turned out to be a great employee. We'll never know. It caused me to unfairly prejudge him. The fault for that lies in my head, but the repercussions affected him.

Yep, he may indeed have turned out to be a great employee. We'll never know. It caused me to unfairly prejudge him. The fault for that lies in my head, but the repercussions affected him.

My husband and I try not to be judgmental but it's quite hard to not! Tattoos with kids names and or birthdates really stand out to me. My husband really hates skull tatoo's. They must really stand out to him as he points them out to me when I don't even notice them.
I considered getting a tatoo when I was early twenties. I didn't like the permancy factor, pain factor and I didn't like the thought of a person drawing on my body. I used to draw and paint in my spare time so I designed and painted images On terracota pots instead. Almost 20 years later I'm really sick of the designs now!

This is such a good post. And it is exactly how I feel too.

I met a young man about 30 years ago, aged then about 22 who had resorted to having skin grafts as the only way to remove tattoos he got when young, and which he regretted a few years later.

Nowdays you can have them lasered but I read recently that it costs ten times the initial cost of having them done, to have them removed.

I once interviewed, and offered a job to, somebody who had something like ten face piercings. The job offer was conditional on not wearing the piercings to work (as per franchisor policy). She initially accepted, but then turned down, the job offer. The piercings were too important to her.

Another bugbear has been nose piercings. I don't mind them per se- but sometimes the inside portion is highly visible, and looks like a big piece of snot about to drop into the food. That one always had to be moved out of the way while at work.

True.

It's all very well for these folks to take the attitude that they are free to dress and display themselves how they want, and "who are we to judge" and so on.

But let's get into the real world; there are many many situations in life where to look anything other than "mainstream" will restrict your ability to get through life without unnecessary dramas.

It sounds as though many of us here on SS are more understanding and tolerant etc, but much of the world might not be.

It's not fair, but it is what it is, and folks need to realise that and play the game.

Or; don't whinge if their chosen "look at me" appearance costs them opportunities.

Bryon Widner was one of America's most violent and well known white supremacists, and his heavily-tattooed face displayed it proudly. But after shunning his racist beliefs, he was still unable to get work because of his facial scarring, and went through a long and complicated journey to have the tattoos removed, in the hope of starting his life anew. After 25 surgeries over 16 months, Mr Widner's past has now disappeared from view, leaving him a happy father and employed member of society.

article-2055437-0E99D7D600000578-474_964x479.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055437/Bryon-Widner-tattoos-Criminal-tuns-time-16-months-laser-surgery.html

Back