The Block

I'm also enjoying it, but I don't know if I could actually sit through the adverts or the repeating of the last minute or so after each ad break :mad: (just in case you have dementia or somehow missed the last minute before the advert... grrrrr!!).

I like seeing the interaction between the couples and within the couples themselves. We have renovated a LOT of houses but I was trying to imagine how hubby and I would go on such a show, with so much pressure.

I'm also ready for the next Australia's Project Runway :p.

The last ten minutes - where they showed actual renovations and the design work - was great. The rest I could've done without.

Looking forward to seeing the finished rooms - again probably only the last 10 minutes of the next show. That dark brown shag against the pure white walls looks very on trend and I like!

I am loving this year's Block. I like the fact that they all get along, when one couple win the others appear genuine in their praise.

Its on at 7pm each evening in Melbourne.

I am enjoying the challenges and its great that its in Melbourne this time.

I like the fact that tradies are doing the work that needs experience.

I can't work out how they are going to renovate 2 bathrooms and a kitchen on the small amount of money they have been allocated and finish the rest of the rooms...it will be interesting to see how they allocate them more money.

Chris

Went to Melbourne recently and while hubby was at his business appointment I walked to Richmond to have a look at the houses. Katrina (the taller sister) was in her front yard and chatting to the sticky-beaks (me included)! She was so nice, answered all our questions - we were very good and only asked general questions.

They are allowed to continue sprucing up the houses till the "open for inspections" in a few weeks, but can't change any colours etc as filming has been done. Tilers were working on one house, plasterers on another.

I found this website really great - it is the planning permission site and gives floor plans and a lot of information about the council approvals:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Planning--Building/The-Block-in-Richmond/
Marg

I think this years Block is boring, more of a game show, not a renovating show. The first two Blocks were the best. Scott Cam is good value, but would prefer he took on a little more serious role. But Shelley Craft .....WHY, a little goes such a long way, and who cares what she thinks.

I like watching people renovate and pick up a few clues, but you see very little other than the finished (or near finished) rooms this year. There is probably more time shown on the decorating side than the actual building work. Even though Rod makes a few innocent but major mistakes through lack of knowledge (we probably all have, whether we know it or not), at least you see the work he is doing rather than being at the hairdressers or nail beauticians while the tradies do the work and see very little of it in progress.

The contest to paint the chest of draws was the biggest wast of air time, followed by flipping the items they bought from the second hand shop. The plumbing contest was a little more relevant (did not realise you could glue pipes when wet!!! but hey, they didn't prime either :p) Until I saw them gluing the pipes wet and it was actually holding to some extent, the first thought that came to my mind was to put a couple of elbows and lengths aside (longer than needed which could be cut to size) for the section at the start and then work backwards from the finishing point so that they were gluing the joints dry except for the last one or two joints when they reached the water supply end. Surprised the plumber did not think of this. Did anyone look behind the panel to see if the water could have been blocked off like clamping a hose if possible. Maybe they are not used to problem solving and looking outside the box!!!

I don't mind the sisters, although they can get a bit much sometimes - girls will be girls. Had to laugh at Amie's comment about the sacked builder charging $7k for the work he did "who does he think he is, a surgeon (or something along those lines)" I know the feeling, the price for a job by many tradies does not reflect the time for the job (at a reasonable rate for the trade), materials (at retail) and allowances for incidentals like taking stuff to the tip, hiring gear etc.

I am surprised as I did not expect Josh and Jenna to do so well, especially with the fighting, thought others would have had the edge. Polly and Waz are my least favourite, especially Polly. How do they pick these people, skill has little to do with it as the twins proved in the first week. I think the producers just took up the opportunity of having twins as contestants......... because they knew nothing about renovating!! I just shook my head when they dipped the paint roller into the tray and lifted it out dripping without rolling it on the tray :rolleyes:

I was hoping the other new show Top Design may have been better - but where did they find those people - did only 10 apply. Some had no idea, like the bloke who got dumped. How embarrassing to be caught sitting around not doing anything.

Anyway, one chance left. The Renovators has promise and may blow channel 9 to the weeds, but by then some people will be over the renovating thing and three shows in succession, channel 10 losing some of the audience on this alone. It has been sooooo long coming, but maybe that is because a friend of a friend was on it until she was eliminated and I know how long ago she started.

anyone want to apply for next years' block with me? :eek: Seriously thinking about applying by myself, to see if they would consider a single person - only because I couldn't be any worse than those currently on there, and I am a hell of a better wow factor renovator than most!

I could really relate to the sisters when they had trouble with the tradie...been there...done that....so many times :)

Lizzie I think its the time factor that is the problem in the renovating of the block...they just get stuck in and they get pulled off for a challenge. I agree I have learnt from the plumbing and the distressed chest one but I would not be able to concentrate on the challenge when my mind would be back on trying to get 2 rooms done in effectively less than a week!!!

Even so I am enjoying the block far more than the Jamie Drurie show...that was a joke...how could all those people be designers, architects etc and have absolutely no idea!!!!

My favourite is still Grand Designs....last Sunday's was pathetic however, admiteddly it was an old one but the woman owner had absolutely no talent and why you would recreate such a foreign concept as a Moroccan house in an old substation in London beats me..plus it didn't work. They didn't even visit Morocco to make sure they got it right!!!!! Tonight's episode looks interesting though.

Chris

anyone want to apply for next years' block with me? :eek: Seriously thinking about applying by myself, to see if they would consider a single person - only because I couldn't be any worse than those currently on there, and I am a hell of a better wow factor renovator than most!

Yes! I'll go on it with you, Lizzie. I'd love to apply but my husband is not one bit interested :mad:. There's also the little obstacle of his job and not getting the time off work.

I'm starting to like this year's Block more with each episode. I couldn't stop laughing on Friday night when Polly stuck the ceramic mosaic tiles to the actual picture instead of the one Waz drew! Although I don't like their taste (I prefer Josh and Jenna's) I like how Polly and Waz don't seem to take it as seriously as the others and seem to have more personality. Although things have gone fairly smooth for them so far... Jenna's potty mouth cracks me up too - she's a real stress head!

To quote the judges, I too feel that the rooms this year have been 'underwhelming' and too bland and boring. I'm certainly not 'over the top' with my taste but I like a room to have a bit more depth, texture and warmth than the ones I've seen so far. With the exception of Josh and Jenna's rooms, maybe it's all the bland wall colours and overload of neutral linen and homewares? I can't wait for the living areas to be revealed.

Where's the application? :D

Drove past the block the other day, situated infront of a car park, and not the nicest street.

When do they go to Auction?

I wonder if they will pass in?

Yes Lizzie I have been thinking too but I would only go on with my husband as I don't do much physical work he does it all and I have to tell you we fight like Josh and Jenna and hubby wins the argue if he has to do the work as he will only do what he wants when he wants!

Cheers
Sheryn

anyone want to apply for next years' block with me? :eek:

Yes! I'll go on it with you, Lizzie.

OK Ladies, off you go. I think that it's a great idea and I also think it would be a great angle for the show, you know, when they have a little 'blub' about a couple on these kinds of shows. They'd create a 'nic' for you like, internet buddies or investors etc.

I'd watch it and be wishing you well along the way.

Haha - I flat out refuse to go on with hubby. We almost get to divorce stage again and again when renovating (why do we keep doing it!?).

The problem is that he gets set ideas about things - has no spacial ability (to visualise what is on paper in functional form) - constantly draws plans up NOT TO SCALE to "prove" that things fit how he wants them ... do I go on?

We are expanding the master bedroom/ensuite ... his yesterday's plans had 3.3m of total wardrobe space (less than current that he didn't believe until I made him measure our crammed cupboards) ... his today's plans has the ensuite on one side of the bedroom and the toilet on the other (what the!?) ... last week he had a shower space of 700mm wide!! ... another one had 400mm between the bath and shower ... blah blah blah ... but he rejects all my "to scale/functional layout/spacious" plans and then he wonders why I get so frustrated with him.

So, today I drew up one of my rejected plans on a free 3D programs (took ages) and suddenly .... ohhhhhh.

I'll put that alongside the massive fights over reno's that I end up "just going and doing" ... the yukky 25yr old brown pebblecrete swimming pool I had acid washed and repainted in dark blue (nothing wrong with it ... wow, looks brand new) and the overwhelming 1980's red brick chimney breast and surround in the lounge room I had rendered and painted charcoal (I think it looks fine ... oh, did you ask for a quote for the exterior?) and the clear-surface stone island bench (you need to have the hob or sink in it ... gosh, really functional) .... and I mean massive fights with yelling and throwing and rude names.

mutter mutter - time to draw bedroom plan #79

I'm making him shave his legs tonight in the useless 900x900 (with corner cut off) shower that he is adament is fine ... see how he feels when his butt knocks out thru the door!

My favourite is still Grand Designs....last Sunday's was pathetic however, admiteddly it was an old one but the woman owner had absolutely no talent and why you would recreate such a foreign concept as a Moroccan house in an old substation in London beats me..plus it didn't work. They didn't even visit Morocco to make sure they got it right!!!!! Tonight's episode looks interesting though.

Chris

last weeks was just a 30min last second filler because of Julia's speech ... tonight show was the one supposed to be shown last week

Actually, I don't think the show is meant to be about renovating. Like many of the shows around at the moment - it's infotainment.

I wouldn't expect a Dr to be picking up medical tips from 'ER', a lawyer tips from 'Judge Judy', a musician tips from the contestants on 'Australia's Got Talent' or a property investor from Michael Keaton's Property show.

The Block is intended to be a light hearted glimpse into property renovation. Certainly not the domain of serious renovators or property developers etc. I think if it was, the general public would loose interest very quickly.

Back