Tradies' pay

Is this through the help of his family? Parents help him a deposit?

Otherwise if he has done it on his own thats incredible. Good on him

He did it all on his own (it's income, not assets). Most here would have seen his face, but he's not quite a household name, yet. Really nice kid too.

I did ask my son 'why can't you do what he did'. Can you believe it, he chose to do TP at uni instead ;).

If someone gave me a deposit when I was 18 I'd have blown the whole lot through either bad investment choices or at really good partying and buying lots of toys for 18 yr olds, and I'm not that much stupider than your average person....

Whether he got help or got $ and therefore did not do it on his own, or wether he did odo it all on his own - good on him, he did better than the average would have done.

Yeah of course - I was just wondering how someone could make a million dollars from nothing within a year or two with no job.

I am not having a go at him for getting help at all - I wouldn't have been able to get my first house a few months ago with a lot of help from my parents.

Was just curious as to how he got it - because jeez thats impressive

He did it all on his own (it's income, not assets). Most here would have seen his face, but he's not quite a household name, yet. Really nice kid too.

I did ask my son 'why can't you do what he did'. Can you believe it, he chose to do TP at uni instead ;).

Let me guess, he is a kid on Home and Away?

Why does a degree entitle anyone to high pay?
All you have to do is pay the fees and turn up to get one.

Why can't a plumber or electrician be smart or intelligent?
A degree does not make anyone smarter, i would argue it's makes many stupid, ignorant and arrogant.

Why should a pen pusher get more $$ the sheet shoveller?

Why should a gov worker who never worked a hard days work get more than someone who cleans, and spends their day covered in their garbage?

I don't think anyone is saying that plumber or electrician can't be smart and a lot have people have agreed there are tradies out there that are definetly smarter than people with degrees.

And I can see what you mean about some people might be ignorrant and arrogant thinking they are better if they hold a degree, but I wouldn't say this was very often.

I don't necessarily agree that all you do is pay the fees, turn up and get a degree. Some people might do the bare minimum to get one but again I think a lot of people go to university because they want to learn more.

Most people earn in a similar range for what we call full time work.

So from here it is not what you earn, but how you spend / invest thereafter.

It is human nature, the more you earn, the more you spend. So the higher income person isn't necessararily better off / happier. How do you measure such a thing anyhow?

There are countess people stepping down the high paid role to a happy / more fulfilfilling role at much less pay.

Best to work backwards on how to make the most of what you do earn or improve on it if not happy, rather than only focus on or judge people on what the earn.

There is more to humanity value than simply their yearly take home pay. Some-one may earn 65k but declare income through familty trust and the offset is more equivalent to 80k? or their appreciating assets may be growing at 40k per year. 65k on paper but 100k indirectly.

Let get in context here.

Think of the hunder and gather times, was that a big stress in their life?

True, but some people make more money first and then go do something fulfilling in life.

Others spend their lives earning $65k-$150k and therefore don't position themselves to do anything that fulfills their life in the future.

Let me guess, he is a kid on Home and Away?

Much more impressive than that, or an Olympic champion (it's not sport), but I would not divulge his name here as we know him and I don't feel right doing so.

Just googled him and nearly half a Mil results came up :eek:.

Try it in quotation marks for a more accurate result.

Much more impressive than that, or an Olympic champion (it's not sport), but I would not divulge his name here as we know him and I don't feel right doing so.

Just googled him and nearly half a Mil results came up :eek:.

I just googled my first and last name and got 67,600,000 hits :eek:

I tried it with quotation marks and got 39. I clearly am not very popular :D

I actually think its pretty good - and by the time I am 25 I'm sure it would be able 90k. Gotta start somewhere? The four years of the degree ive been working part time on 25k a year anyways which is probably about the same as a tradie doing an apprenticeship anyway.

I am very contempt with that pay being first year out and getting paid more as I get more experience.

Sounds like you are happy as you should be, you've done very well to complete a degree. It's what you do each day from now that counts.

“Enjoy your own life without comparing it with that of another.” - Marquis de Condorcet

Dan

The arrogance in this thread is astonishing...

To all those making "dismall" money, how many of you give to charities, volunteer your time helping others? That sure as hell makes me happier than making that extra bit of money at the end of the week.

Money aside, the average office worker that doesn't excecise is generally in a lot worse physical shape / fitness compared to the average active tradie. With exception of long term health issues such ad back issues or breathing in crap, a tradie in fresh air keeping fit and active can actually pay dividends long term compared to sitting behind a computer. Office workers that go out of their way to keep fit can have the best of both worlds.

No point earning 100k in an office if you're overweight, overstressed and overweight.

Mentally burnt out each night and fat

or

Physically burnt out, but mentall ok, and no need to squeeze 2 hours in the evening at gym.

Assuming you're on similar dollars, which one would you rather be from a health point of view?

I think 30 years ago the average male was a lot more handy, and wouln't be calling some-one over at $80+ per hour to fix every trivial thing. Current skills and attitudes has risen the demand and rate they charge.

You can outsource your accounting to India and just have one guy in Australia check it over and sign off on it. Physical local skilled labour, you can never outsource that.

Personal home / tradie services will continue to boom as we are time poor, and skill poor or combination of both. The tradies will call the shots and set the market when there is a shortage and stuff simply has to be done.

Yeah till you get shot in the eye by a nailgun and have long term exposure to dust or worst accidentally exposure to asbestos

the only time tradies call the shots if they're exceptionally good and most of the time they're average and looking for lucky payout day on desperate times and yes time factors as well for some guy who doesn't know what he is paying for. take a plumber - got quoted btw 4-12K for the same job by 6 different plumbers.

Why does a degree entitle anyone to high pay?
All you have to do is pay the fees and turn up to get one.

Why can't a plumber or electrician be smart or intelligent?
A degree does not make anyone smarter, i would argue it's makes many stupid, ignorant and arrogant.

Why should a pen pusher get more $$ the sheet shoveller?

Why should a gov worker who never worked a hard days work get more than someone who cleans, and spends their day covered in their garbage?

because when you go to uni from your entrance scoring say as a doctor - who may later become a surgeon - as any potential patient - you want to know that you're dealing with the most qualified and best able to deal with the complexities of the job especially if it involves your life etc

i had a cousin once who kept pressuring himself to get into medicine at high school but he simply missed the entrance by a few points. the reason is he wasn't that good enough. If all tradies could be doctors or lawyers - yeah sure great but highly unlikely.

Back