Weekly budgets

I will assume you are asking me...but then again you didn't address your question to anyone in particular either.

If it was me..it was the posters who thought I was being cheap for not wanting to waste money...take your pick

I know, I edited my post whilst you were typing yours to make it clearer.

So that did include me or didn't ?

sorry obvious simpleton here

If it was me..it was the posters who thought I was being cheap for not wanting to waste money...take your pick

No one wastes money, and each to his own. Even I shop at Kmart, wife at SES, we research flights and hotels (but then do big trips - like african safari + egypt +.., etc), not your Bali's etc.

But $10K for a couple is less than a pensioner really. Just saying what is the point of being financially independent only to count every penny.

We spend maybe $35K/yr (not on rubbish brand names, etc), but on enjoying life. Nice meals (from pub food to the odd $500 meal on a special occasion), entertainment, weekend activities.

I know people who have maybe 10 properties, but have travelled little, stay at home (and can only think about saving for more). To me it defeats the purpose of financial independence.

No one wastes money, and each to his own. Even I shop at Kmart, wife at SES, we research flights and hotels (but then do big trips - like african safari + egypt +.., etc), not your Bali's etc.

But $10K for a couple is less than a pensioner really. Just saying what is the point of being financially independent only to count every penny.

Don't forget we do not have to pay rent, electricity,phone, cable, internet,water,heat,car payments, maintenace,repairs,rego,insurance.
We do not have to buy furniture or appliances.
Really that is a giant saving..worth hundreds of dollars a month.

We are also still paying off debt, and until it is gone, we need to be able to prove to our lenders we are able to do it. A bank can call a loan anytime they want.

Our trip is 8 months living in Australia.
For Australians that is not a big deal..when you are from cold Canada..it is.

Where I'm from some people earn $50 a month. If I were to restrain my spending on that basis, I'd probably struggle to turn on my TV without passing my monthly budget.

Fuzz,
Just wondering how you have managed to cut back on your grocery bill.

As a matter of "fun"
I have included a sample of what our meals look like

1.05 ham
.37 2 eggs
.14 1/2 onion
.17 1/2 tomato
.15 cheese
.18 3 slices bread
.10 butter
.10 jam
.20 potato ( pan fried)
.20 coffee/milk
----------------------
$2.66 total for 2 adults BREAKFAST

$2.33 cooked chicken
..24 bread
.10 butter
.10 mayonaisse
.15 cheese
.20 coffee/milk
-------------------------
$3.12 for 2 adults LUNCH

1.12 chicken legs
..60 baked potato
..20 butter
..17 tomato
.25 shredded cheese
..29 carrots
.91 apricot pudding w/icecream (homemade of course)
. .05 cordial with water
$3.59 for 2 adults DINNER/SUPPER

.91 apricot pudding w/ice cream
..20 coffe/milk

1.00 for coffee through out the day
$2.11 for 2 adults SNACKS

Total day $11.48 for 2 adults

Looking at around 150-200k per annum retirement on 2010 AUD. Big goal but retirement for my partner and I will involve kids still at home due to our young ages.

Our goal has been to eliminate money worries so we can experience life, not to open ever increasing ways to consume. Travel and the fine things in life (food, culture, art, history, nature) from the four corners of the globe.

'Homebrand Living' isn't going to fit into such a life.

As the Romans said, suum cuique.

Fuzz,
Just wondering how you have managed to cut back on your grocery bill.

As a matter of "fun"
I have included a sample of what our meals look like

Total day $11.48 for 2 adults

I made $454 on a share trade this morning in the time it took you to put this list together. :)
Bought a muffin $2.60, coffee $3.30, lunch $10.40. Total $16.30. Profit for day $437.70.

I love kathryn's list! I'm with you all the way!

(Just realised I get my [obviously cheap] thrills from snagging a bargain.)

Re the salad thing again...I think I compare how much of a great salad I can make at home that only costs a few dollars, to the less than 'hearty' salads I get in restaurants for b/n $10-$20. This is what makes me feel ripped off. These are salads like the greek salads that have maybe 3 or 4 olives, a tiny sprinkling of feta, some chunky pieces of cucumber & are usually waaay overdone with too much horrid cheap oil.

Having said that, I treated myself to oysters last Fri when mat was out at a work do :)

I do understand & even agree with the need to treat onesself. On hols I will be eating up big on seafood (yum!) without regard to cost as that's part of a holiday for me. Not having to worry about the cost/be 'offended' by the cost of things.

I do believe I would love that fancy salad mentioned a few posts ago with the caviar, truffles etc. I would actually get $600 worth of enjoyment out of eating that once in my life :)

Where I'm from some people earn $50 a month. If I were to restrain my spending on that basis, I'd probably struggle to turn on my TV without passing my monthly budget.

But this is where it gets confusing because we really have to read the fine print in those places , what can the $50 pm buy there, that's all that matters . Some countries you'd probably live like a king for that or buy a house for 5k, like the US house wise anyway. Or maybe you don't need to spend 15k on permits to build before you even start or 80k in hidden tax grabs, like you will here . Maybe they don't even have a mortgage as such because land is so cheap and they can build what they want out of whatever they want . Or our fortnightly grocery bill's 12 mths worth there .

I always wonder just how good our incomes really are and what they're really worth with 400k houses, our cost of living, cars , bills . Seems to be just one big merry go round in OZ over this last 20yrs that basically just gobbles up and then double again whatever you get anyway. And being in way more debt or having the dearest everything than ever before probably proves it.

Ahh yeah , budgets . Well , I dunno really I'd have to ask wifey . I do get me 5 bucks a week though plus an extra buck for entertainment so laughing my end.

Cheers

I am with you....this would be my spending pattern most days.

I would also add an additional coffee at $3.00.....a newspaper 1.50.....and evening meal (about $10.50).

Absolutely see the thing about profit on a share trade.

I made $454 on a share trade this morning in the time it took you to put this list together. :)
Bought a muffin $2.60, coffee $3.30, lunch $10.40. Total $16.30. Profit for day $437.70.

I am with you....this would be my spending pattern most days.

I would also add an additional coffee at $3.00.....a newspaper 1.50.....and evening meal (about $10.50).

Absolutely see the thing about profit on a share trade.

Yeah, the day isn't ever yet. :p Still a meal out, afternoon snack.

But yes, I figure make some profit on a day trade, and enjoy the week (why waste time counting pennies). By the way, it was Fortescue. Mining has been flat the past few days with the QLD floods. Figured with the expectations that prices would go up, it's a good day trade.

Steak and chips, or parma and chips!! Haute cuisine, in my book! And if it comes with bacon, that's a bonus!!

Older son who loves his Parma regularly goes out to eat at a pub here in the CBD well known for it's Parma's, with his mates.

Always comes home and gives me a discription and rating of it. He's even taken photos of it a few times at different angles/distances and shown me (did it again last night) :confused:.

If you're ever in Adelaide the Coopers Alehouse comes recommended :).

We spend maybe $35K/yr (not on rubbish brand names, etc), but on enjoying life. Nice meals (from pub food to the odd $500 meal on a special occasion), entertainment, weekend activities.

I know people who have maybe 10 properties, but have travelled little, stay at home (and can only think about saving for more). To me it defeats the purpose of financial independence.

Good post....Sometimes people lose the plot. The more money they have the more they want at the expense of having an enjoyable and fulfilling life. No point having 10 properties if all you want to do is eat at Maccas, drink Bodega, drive a Camry and have holidays in the local caravan park.

Absolutely agree. When a few cents movement in stocks is starting to earn you or cost you $3k for example, some things just become so trivial.

I'd save some $700 if I sold my SSM, 5 minutes earlier, for half a cent more. That $700 would buy me 2 months of food stock judging on a budget like that.

I love kathryn's list! I'm with you all the way!

(Just realised I get my [obviously cheap] thrills from snagging a bargain.)

Re the salad thing again...I think I compare how much of a great salad I can make at home that only costs a few dollars, to the less than 'hearty' salads I get in restaurants for b/n $10-$20. This is what makes me feel ripped off. These are salads like the greek salads that have maybe 3 or 4 olives, a tiny sprinkling of feta, some chunky pieces of cucumber & are usually waaay overdone with too much horrid cheap oil.

Having said that, I treated myself to oysters last Fri when mat was out at a work do :)

I do understand & even agree with the need to treat onesself. On hols I will be eating up big on seafood (yum!) without regard to cost as that's part of a holiday for me. Not having to worry about the cost/be 'offended' by the cost of things.

I do believe I would love that fancy salad mentioned a few posts ago with the caviar, truffles etc. I would actually get $600 worth of enjoyment out of eating that once in my life :)

Today is Rob's birthady. He hates to have a fuss made about it, but he ask if they have "eat free on your birthday" here. (We have a few places in Canada, in the town we live).I googled, but couldn't find any.
When in Canada, everytime we to the other town where our IPs are, we always go the restaurant.I'm not against paying for food, I just like to get value. I always seem to order the same things, because some food taste better ..such as fish and chips !!! (We never have to pay extra for ketchup either :) )
So for Rob's supper I made home made chicken soup, from the chicken carcass from a couple of days ago. I finally bought a nice looking swede.
I bought a cake mix, and sprinkle some chopped up apricots on it to bake. We will have that with ice cream for dessert.
While we were in town, we notice they are having a Australia Day breakfast next week for a gold coin donation..now that is value.:)

While we were in town, we notice they are having a Australia Day breakfast next week for a gold coin donation..now that is value.:)

Shhh, don't tell anyone but if you head to a soup kitchen or raid the dumpsters out the back of supermarkets you can enjoy dinner for free..now that is value.

Good post....Sometimes people lose the plot. The more money they have the more they want at the expense of having an enjoyable and fulfilling life. No point having 10 properties if all you want to do is eat at Maccas, drink Bodega, drive a Camry and have holidays in the local caravan park.
Who are you to say that people who like to eat Macca's, drink Bodega, drive a Camry and holiday at the local caravan park aren't leading enjoyable and fulfilling lives?

Back