What careers does commerce lead to and what about Uni property courses r they a good

That's the funniest reason people tell me they go to big 4 for. The only people who understand business are people who do business.

Sitting in an office auditing some supermarket's accounts isn't going to help you learn how to run a supermarket. Nor is auditing a mine going to help you understand how to run a mine.

In fact you won't even know how to do many other things such as source equity and debt capital, negotiate with banks, procure product, manage staff...

That maybe so. However the point is about using Big 4 with CA as a stepping stone to working in one's desired role in commerce. The finance/accounting degree to Big 4 with CA is not a bad plan for someone wanting to work in commerce. Doing something like management or marketing at uni ain't gonna cut it unless that person has some work experience in their chosen field.

I agree about the manual labour. If I could go back 12 years to when I finished school I'd be straight up north, rather than at uni watching the Perth boom go by with no stake in the game.

That maybe so. However the point is about using Big 4 with CA as a stepping stone to working in one's desired role in commerce. The finance/accounting degree to Big 4 with CA is not a bad plan for someone wanting to work in commerce. Doing something like management or marketing at uni ain't gonna cut it unless that person has some work experience in their chosen field.

I agree about the manual labour. If I could go back 12 years to when I finished school I'd be straight up north, rather than at uni watching the Perth boom go by with no stake in the game.

What's the point of a CA/CFA/CPA/MBA? It's to become an employee - not a businessman. There's no value in that if you run your own business and get rich

What's the point of a CA/CFA/CPA/MBA? It's to become an employee - not a businessman. There's no value in that if you run your own business and get rich

There are plenty of rich businessmen who started life as CA's. I wouldn't say it provides 'no' value. But I might be a bit biased. :)

There are plenty of rich businessmen who started life as CA's. I wouldn't say it provides 'no' value. But I might be a bit biased. :)

No it doesn't add value. When you succeed in business you employ people with those qualifications to work for you. You keep the upside, you pay them a fixed fee. That's how you get rich.

No it doesn't add value. When you succeed in business you employ people with those qualifications to work for you. You keep the upside, you pay them a fixed fee. That's how you get rich.

Sure, but you have to get to that level first. Not too many people go from the basement to the penthouse in one move.

A business qualification (as well as time in the field) provides a level of experience that comes in handy when starting your own business.

Can it be done without a business qualification - of course! But to say it adds no value is wrong.

Sure, but you have to get to that level first. Not too many people go from the basement to the penthouse in one move.

A business qualification (as well as time in the field) provides a level of experience that comes in handy when starting your own business.

Can it be done without a business qualification - of course! But to say it adds no value is wrong.

I am one of those people with plenty of qualifications. Sure, having one is great to have a 'job' - and what you're saying is that you need that 'job' in order to a) get experience and b) get some money. But that's all it's good for. The experience you gain is what is most valuable, which can be independent of any degree/qualification that you have.

I am one of those people with plenty of qualifications. Sure, having one is great to have a 'job' - and what you're saying is that you need that 'job' in order to a) get experience and b) get some money. But that's all it's good for. The experience you gain is what is most valuable, which can be independent of any degree/qualification that you have.

I know where you're coming from. University is basically a waste of time. And it probably is, if you're going to end up making it as an entrepreneur.

But that's not the only valid type of success, is it? I mean, thank God for doctors, nurses, school teachers, police and defence personnel, to say nothing of lawyers, engineers, electricians, plumbers and carpenters, whom we all rely on to do their jobs every day.

Go beyond all that? Hell yes! Never be part of that? Rarely.

Can anyone tell me how I would get one of those mining jobs that pay $80-$100k. I graduate at the end of the year but because I don't have a grad job I'm either looking at more study or being unemployed for 6 months (or working in retail or admin for 6 months) until mid year vac programs start. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get into a vac program because it's so competitive at the moment. I'll only get $40-$60k in a grad program too.

I wouldn't have a problem going to the mines, being isolated and doing hard work. But because I'm a girl I don't know if they would take me for a job like that? I really just want to start earning good money so I can start investing and travel!

Can anyone tell me how I would get one of those mining jobs that pay $80-$100k. I graduate at the end of the year but because I don't have a grad job I'm either looking at more study or being unemployed for 6 months (or working in retail or admin for 6 months) until mid year vac programs start. I'm not even sure I'll be able to get into a vac program because it's so competitive at the moment. I'll only get $40-$60k in a grad program too.

I wouldn't have a problem going to the mines, being isolated and doing hard work. But because I'm a girl I don't know if they would take me for a job like that? I really just want to start earning good money so I can start investing and travel!

There are lots of decent paid jobs at mines, from cleaning to working in the kitchen. You have you work out, though, what you want to be doing longer term.

There are lots of decent paid jobs at mines, from cleaning to working in the kitchen. You have you work out, though, what you want to be doing longer term.

How much would you earn in those types of jobs? Where do you find out about them? I'm looking on seek but I don't know what to search for!

I don't know anything about mining jobs, but here's one idea on how to travel and get paid for it, Cupcakes: Go and teach English overseas (Japan pays best, but some parts are a bit radioactive, so be selective) for a year or so. Only graduates can do it. :)

It's very easy work (mindnumbingly so in Japan, where everyone gets a good start in English at school anyway), you can save heaps if you have the discipline, but can still experience another culture and scenery at very little personal cost.

Moreover, there'd be no damage to the CV whatsoever: Indeed, it'd probably be a bonus in the eyes of employers looking for adaptable or independent types.

In the meantime, you could be trawling career options and submitting applications over the net, or relatively easily (as I did), doing a post-grad qualification online.

The 'gap year' idea is a bit of an American rich-kids institution I admit, but it's got its advantages. You can see something of the world without blowing savings and taking time out at the start of a career (for travel, which really annoys a lot of employers who do often invest a heck of a lot in basic job skills training), and it gives you an closer (rather than a tourist's) view of life in another country.

[Postscript: I left Japan realising above all how incredibly easy we Australians have got it compared to them. A typical worker's life in Japan is incredibly more demanding than here in terms of commuting time, stress levels and cultural expectations of corporate commitment. We live in a comparative paradise from their point of view. Take their sort of determination into any job here and you won't look back.]

Doing a commerce degree is fine if you want to just get an ordinary job. I guess that's how most people started off anyway....as long as you don't finish up that way

University graduates have higher starting salaries than non-graduates and that gap only widens over time.

IThe 'gap year' idea is a bit of an American rich-kids institution I admit, but it's got its advantages. You can see something of the world without blowing savings and taking time out at the start of a career (for travel, which really annoys a lot of employers who do often invest a heck of a lot in basic job skills training), and it gives you an closer (rather than a tourist's) view of life in another country.

I must admit that I didn't view the 'gap year' favourably when I was looking at grad cvs, for exactly the reason above: it's often a luxury of kids from wealthy families, and doesn't exactly indicate committment to an outcome.

These days when asked how young people should 'get started' I suggest getting a job at or near the bottom of whatever industry they're interested in, and studying part time toward a related qualification. That way, you get the advantages of working (skills, experience, maturity, money) while still getting a qualification (CV filler, some skills, cred with clients).

Pls can anyone give me any hints advice info re studying commerce at Uni and what careers that can lead to .

A friend studied commerce and aswell at Uni studied a property course .

I know people can just read a couple of books but what do others know or advise re these courses pls .

Thanks .

I am doing part-time property at Uni. You can check Australian Property Institute for possible careers. PM me if you want more info.

Degrees don't mean much these days. Going to a good primary school then good secondary school then good uni to be jobless. Look at the students in europe with degrees everywhere and no limited jobs. It's happen here.

Degrees don't mean much these days. Going to a good primary school then good secondary school then good uni to be jobless. Look at the students in europe with degrees everywhere and no limited jobs. It's happen here.

Depends on the degree and location. Come down to Canberra and bring your IT degree, and you'll get a job if you can spell your own name...

I agree with VYBerlinaV8 that it depends on the degree and what you want to do. As stated from my previous post, I'm going through a uni property program online which I think is tougher. The only regret that I have is not doing it earlier, but again the course structure didn't really exist until recently.

Most of my instructors are still active in their field of study. With what I want to do, it's important to me that I get to ask questions from somebody that has the experience and uni allows me to do that.

I'm also able to attend professional events where the speakers are professionals like valuers, land economists, surveyors, etc where I pay the cost of less than a dinner because I'm a student.

I'm not saying one is better than the other as I have great respect for individuals that are 'street wise'. All I'm saying is I'm doing what I think is best for me and you probably should (to the OP) as well. I hope this helps.

You can't just say uni is a waste of time for everyone. How well you do with a commerce degree depends on how passionate you are, how hard you work and whether or not you're bright enough. I know people who have grad jobs paying $80-100k and their bonus will double that figure. Within 2-3 years they will be earning $2-3m per year. But they study like crazy to get 90 averages and they're naturally quite gifted and bright. They're also willing to work the hours while they're young which can be 7 in the morning to past midnight at some places.

But if you're a below average student and you're only in it for the money rather than because you're passionate about business then you're going to end up working at the local bank as a teller.

Back