Why not having children is best thing ever

Ive worked on $300,000 Race cars, been single and slept in till noon, pulled all nighter's and thrown caution to the wind... But nothing beats walking behind your first born while she rides a bike for the first time, or when she writes her name on the driveway with chalk...

Kids are a pain in the ***, but the joy to the heart more than makes up for it... :D

Ha. That's it. I have a 2 year old daughter and now couldn't imagine life without her. She brings so much joy and laughter to our little family...and I was one of those that 5 years ago wasn't really bothered about the kids thing.

As Rolf said, Success vs Significance.

YMMV :D

I love getting up early; especially in summer when the air is warm and the sunrises are nice. These days it is even nicer from our balcony.

I've been a chronic early riser since a kid, and then working in the golf industry (in Proshops) exacerbated it.

Internal body clock is approx 5.00am, give or take a half hour depending on other factors such as work, or projects I want to finish/start etc, finances, etc.

Then; kids arrived.

So people without kids should live 'extraordinary' lives even if they have no desire to just to impress others? That seems the epitome of ordinary.

Exacrly, kids are a funny topic

Replace word kids with BMW or coffee machine, and nobody cares

It seems that those who have kids get offended and defensive by those who don't have kids

And will also expect those without to justify their lives by living "exemplary lives"

The herd mentality showing itself bigtinw here

Exacrly, kids are a funny topic

Replace word kids with BMW or coffee machine, and nobody cares

It seems that those who have kids get offended and defensive by those who don't have kids

And will also expect those without to justify their lives by living "exemplary lives"

The herd mentality showing itself bigtinw here

You clearly haven't read any of the threads on BMWs or coffee on somersoft. They generate as much debate as this one has.

You clearly haven't read any of the threads on BMWs or coffee on somersoft. They generate as much debate as this one has.

I have read them all, if you havent realised the point of the post was that you don't get people getting defensive or their choice of coffee machine or BMW models

I have read them all, if you havent realised the point of the post was that you don't get people getting defensive or their choice of coffee machine or BMW models

Really? ;):D

I'm staying out of this thread (mostly). We have three boys, couldn't imagine life without them, have no desire to sleep in, but can do that if we wish. They aren't little for that long really. I say to each their own. Having children is no assurance that we will not be lonely in our old age (if we get there), but I had a fantastic relationship with my parents, so hopefully our boys will be there for us when we need them, just as we are there for them.

It is a generalisation I know, but the few single women I know have become very selfish. I think with kids, you don't have that risk so much.

There are no guarantees in life. We don't write our own scripts. I'm sounding very philosophical today :)

It is a generalisation I know, but the few single women I know have become very selfish.

Not this old chestnut. It's also interesting that you equate not having kids with being single. How about if you're partnered or married without kids? Do you get to pass the "not selfish" test? Do you get extra "not selfish" points for having foster or adopted children?

Not this old chestnut. It's also interesting that you equate not having kids with being single. How about if you're partnered or married without kids? Do you get to pass the "not selfish" test? Do you get extra "not selfish" points for having foster or adopted children?

I thought it would ruffle some feathers, wasn't disappointed...

Doesn't change the fact though, but it is a generalisation, as I pointed out. I have one friend who is single, but has been married. She used to correct my children in front of me for things she thought they were doing wrong. Things that I didn't have any problems with.

I do generally think that parents HAVE to be less selfish, wouldn't you agree?

Having children is a choice for many. Those who don't have a choice I feel most sorry for. To want children and be unable to have them must be a painful thing indeed.

And seeing you asked, yes I think fostering children earns extra "not selfish" points and those who are partnered or married who decide not to have kids make their own decisions. I'm not the one to award them any points :) (but I will deduct points if they try to tell me how to raise my kids). Anyway, you are the one who mentioned "points" :) so maybe you need to explain how you award "selfish" and "not selfish" points yourself? :)

The thing I find interesting is those who are most against having kids don't seem to stop and think that if their own parents thought the same way, they wouldn't be here enjoying their long mornings sleeping in :p.

Last edited:
Kids or no kids, it's a personal choice.

Years ago I wasn't bothered either way whether I had kids or not, now that I've got one I wouldn't change it for the world!

I find it odd when people with children question why someone doesn't want kids, I'm actually going through something similar at the moment. Our little one is two in under a month and my friends who had their firsts at the same time are all trying for another, pregnant or have already had another.

Whilst I love the little man, I'm not sure if we'll ever have a second and have been told that only having one is "selfish".

Whilst I love the little man, I'm not sure if we'll ever have a second and have been told that only having one is "selfish".

Ha haa, we get that all the time...not being able to actually "have" children and get called all sorts of names, get all kinds of "looks".

It is what it is and people should not be judging others about their choice (or not) of having children.

Good for you and James I reckon, do what you want. Its not up to anyone else but yourselves.;)

I did this for 30 years and to be honest for the last 2-3 years I was really bored with it and wondered what else there was to life. Especially when most of my mates started having children of their own. I've now got a 4 week old and if I had to pick one side of the list you posted, I'd pick the chaos of the life with kids compared to the life without which sounds pretty boring nowadays...

I've still got a few single mates and although they all say they couldn't stand having kids it's funny how that always changes when they find a partner.

Haha, sounds vaguely familiar. I never intended to have kids, but then ended up meeting someone and seeing the possibilities. Now many kids later and happy with the choices I made. Having kids was one of the best decisions I made, it has been an adventure with loads of triumphs and setbacks.

Respect to folks who don't intend on having kids for *whatever* reasons (each to their own). My only advice to them would be to "never say never", keep your options and your mind open, making babies is a wild ride. :)

Well, it hasn't been for the lack of trying I can tell you !!!:D

We always felt blessed we didn't need to do much more than hold hands to make the magic happen, props to folks who aren't such "fertile myrtles", I don't know how I'd go if I was wanting children but struggling to make it a reality.

I hate it when you go somewhere and your enjoyment is spoilt by kids. eg

Go shopping at the Druitt, 6 rugrats, juiced up, running everywhere screaming and carrying on, whinging to their mum to buy a chocolate.

Jump on a plane, seat behind me, there's a baby, crying and soiled, as I'm trying to enjoy a beer mind you.

Restuarant, again noisy kids!

Kids, kids, kids everywhere...aaarrgghhhhh!

Back