Why not having children is best thing ever

Our children are now adults.

We've finished with many of the "downs" of parenthood. And many of the ups too.

But now we can proudly say that we've done some sort of good job in raising them.

At this stage in life, on the home stretch towards retirement, I value that ahead of anything else I've done.

Academic achievements, jobs, properties bought, places travelled- are all things done ok, but not the things I really value in life.

There's something about the achievements which really took a lot of time, hard work, stress, heartache, money- as well as all the highs- which now I view as the most valuable contribution I've made to this world.

To have children was a choice we consciously made. It was a very individual choice.

I don't judge anybody else on a decision they may have made to have or not to have children. That's their choice.

I'm just very happy with my own choice.

A valuable contribution to this world.

Is that like saying those who have chosen not to have kids, have made no valuable contribution to the world?
:confused:

At least you are happy with your decision, one you were lucky enough to be blessed to achieve. Well done Geoffw.

Is that like saying those who have chosen not to have kids, have made no valuable contribution to the world?

At least you are happy with your decision, one you were lucky enough to be blessed to achieve. Well done Geoffw.

I think you are being far too defensive there, I read nothing of the sort in Geoffw's comments :)

I'm sorry that you took "a fence" at my post. I intended nothing of that nature whatsoever.

My point was only that there is something good at the end of the pain. Many posters in this thread, both those who never want kids and those who have them, have only focused on the journey and not the destination. But the destination is the important part of it all.

I find this debate all a bit pointless. People who don't have kids are constantly expected to defend and justify their choice and going by this thread, a basic reason doesn't even cut it. It needs to be a really extraordinary reason.

Yet people who do have kids are never asked for a reason - a real reason - as to why they're bringing another life into this world. It's just the done thing. Part of the checklist of life. Everyone else is doing it. Maybe if there was more of an emphasis on this aspect, we'd have a lot less problems in the world.

Can work the other way as well, I found that when I had my first child there was continual pressure from relatives/friends..... when is number 2 coming along? Lots and lots of pressure.

Children or no children I really think it does not matter, cos you don't know what you don't know, if that makes any sense.

You know what always amazes me with the people I know who have no kids? They all lead incredibly conventional lives. They have a home and a car and a conventional job. They have lives into which children could slot really easily.
I reckon somebody without kids has no excuse to not lead an extraordinary life. And that doesn't mean a bit of travel and a sports car and sleeping in.
[emphasis added]

A point of clarification if I may -

Do you think someone with kids* can therefore use those kids^ as an excuse for being ordinary?

* Or a single child
^ Which came into the world through no choice of their own, it should be noted

Btw. I'm not suggesting anybody else who has made different choices is any different in any way whatsoever.

I've had modest academic achievements I'm proud of. That doesn't mean I think any less of somebody who has achieved in other ways- a musician, author, entrepreneur, property developer, investor or whatever. On the contrary. I had to work hard for my modest achievement so I can appreciate the amount of work somebody else put in for their achievements.

But I'm still happy with what I've been able to do.

It's not a competition or race. It's just a matter of knowing the value of what one has done.

Go shopping at the Druitt, 6 rugrats, juiced up, running everywhere screaming and carrying on, whinging to their mum to buy a chocolate.
I go shopping at 8.00am on Sunday mornings mostly...

Almost no humans of any kind at that time on that day. Bliss.

Jump on a plane, seat behind me, there's a baby, crying and soiled, as I'm trying to enjoy a beer mind you.
Fly first class.

Restuarant, again noisy kids!
You are eating in the wrong restaurants.

Stat looking at places where the cheapest entree is $30.

Guaranteed to be kidless.

Do you think someone with kids* can therefore use those kids^ as an excuse for being ordinary?

Nope. Boy, people certainly got hung up on that phrase. Someone even rewrote it and changed 'extraordinary' to 'exemplary', which was odd.

I just think not having kids, which is a decision or circumstance I completely support, is a great opportunity to live an unconventional life - a life of adventure and imprudence and impetuosity.

I had a good mate a few years ago who had no kids. He lived on a boat near where mine was moored and led a life into which children could never fit. He'd been working and living on his boat for some years. Then he took off. I was disappointed to see him leave the bay - partly because he used to do a fair bit of work on my boat. Goodness knows where he ended up. Maybe he only made it a little way up the coast and met someone, had kids and got a job. I hope not, though.

Nope. Boy, people certainly got hung up on that phrase. Someone even rewrote it and changed 'extraordinary' to 'exemplary', which was odd.

I just think not having kids, which is a decision or circumstance I completely support, is a great opportunity to live an unconventional life - a life of adventure and imprudence and impetuosity.

So whether you have kids or not - neither is an excuse for not living an "unconventional"* life

... but those without kids have a better opportunity to do so?

Is that the gist of your pov?

* However one defines that in this world of many possibilities - where unconventional is becoming more conventional

Sis and bro went back to travelling abroad since their bub was 6 months old.

They've sent me photos of them sleeping in a tent whilst sis was pregnant with second kid whilst first <1 year old was sleeping in the corner of the tent at Kosiosko in winter. They love it. Both still work, sis completed her PHD and is being published, she still works by correspondence. Eldest is not even 18 months old yet.

I personally want children in a few years time, however I find it horrific many mention kids are the best contribution, there are many ways to contribute to the betterment of the world.

Personally I cringe when I hear of people with more than 3 kids. Not because I think it's a bad thing to want many kids, but the environmental damage is phenomenal.

I read an article, written in a sweet way about an 80 year old with something like 13 kids, 39 grand kids, 90 great grand kids. That's messed up. What would be the point of recycling when you're well overpopulating the earth.

I'd personally love 3, but anything more than 2 I will be looking at adoption. Replace or reduce population that's my personal philosophy.

So whether you have kids or not - neither is an excuse for not living an "unconventional"* life

Is that the gist of your pov?

many possibilities - where unconventional is becoming more conventional[/SIZE]
I believe this would be the case.

Unless you are one of the few who are swimming in expendable cash, and can "pay" for time to do whatever you want; the average parents simply don't have the resources of funds and/or free time to accomplish as much as a person who has more of both, and no kids.

I reckon it would be very tough for people with kids to lead an unconventional life, but I'm sure some people do - every now and then those stories pop up about people who take their kids out of school and head off on a boat for years on end.

For people without kids, there is greater scope to be unconventional because they only have themselves to think about.

So Alan (depreciator). As someone who can't have kids, and has been deemed too old to adopt from within Australia, what do you suggest I do to lead this "extraordinary" life that you say I have no excuse not to lead?

I find it quite arrogant that you would suggest that I have no excuse not to lead an extraordinary life. Why can't I just lead a normal, everyday life without kids? What's it to you how I live my life anyway?

Boy, I'll have to stay out of these threads like I stayed out of the political ones. You are quite right. The way you live your life has nothing at all to do with me. You can indeed just live a normal, everyday life without kids.

What I want to know is: How on earth did a thread started with a funny graphic to give people a bit of a laugh morph into... whatever this is now???????

With a thread title like it has, of course it is going to get impassioned responses.

I was going to reef to your sig about starting an argument on the internet, but that one has gone now.

Back