Your next O/S trip - where will you go?

Remember, Hobo - this place is not the hangout of Mr. and Mrs. Average - for the most part.

It's disappointing in a way; I would like to see a lot more "battlers" coming on here to learn how to get financially free from PI, but instead we get mostly folks in solid, well paid careers who really don't need much of a leg up.

I think you'd be surprised at how many people there are that read this forum who don't own any property but they're aspiring too. Most don't contribute because they feel they don't have the experience yet. You'd also be surprised at how many people (both contributors and lurkers) have average incomes.

I think you'd be surprised at how many people there are that read this forum who don't own any property but they're aspiring too. Most don't contribute because they feel they don't have the experience yet. You'd also be surprised at how many people (both contributors and lurkers) have average incomes.
Pete, I've been here long enough and read enough to work out what the patterns are.

I know there are average folk here, earning average - and below average wage - but the % would be low.

Yes, there are folk here who don't own property; buy they are not yer boilermaker out in Averageville wanting to learn how to get an IP on his $40k wage with no savings and lots of CC debt, etc.

We're hoping to go to Europe for 11 weeks next year (end of Nov to mid Feb). At this stage, the plan is London - Edinburgh - London - Paris - Barcelona - Cordoba/Seville/Granada - Rome - Venice - Milan - Prague - Athens (plus trips to Meteora, Olympia and Delphi) - Istanbul - Cappadocia. May not be that exact order though. I've got a shortlist of hotels and budget all ready to go. We'll try to squeeze in somewhere sunny in Asia on the way back :)

That sounds awesome. Some amazing places on your list. Compare flights as sometimes it's just as cheap to fly. But at other times it's best to train by the time you factor in getting to the airport early and the train station being right in town etc.
I absolutely adore Prague. Istanbuly used to be my favourite city until I went to Prague. Do yourself a favour, do the hot air balloon over Cappodocia. That's my biggest regret in all my travels (not doing it).

Have a look at Hali Hotel in Istanbul. We stayed there a few years ago. Amazing views, great spot. Rooms are small and it has one of the old close the wire door lifts. Loved it.

http://www.halihotel.com/en/index.php

Bayview- Are you going to Phillip Island for the motorbike races end January? My hubby is driving down in our motorhome with some mates.

Joe I'm envious. I love Barcelona and would love to go back and also explore more of Spain. You sound like me and Bali. I go there when I'm not planning a holiday anywhere else. It's my do northing time. But I'm not as bad as you. 28 times for me to Bali.

@cimbom

Hi Cimbom,

it will be cold to freezing weather at that time of the year, but i guess you may be aware of it.

another trip. British airways do price match. so if you are flying around eurpoe, it would save money to look at LCC airlines (easyjet, ryanair) and call Birtish airways and they will match price. will save you money and hassal of getting to and from LCCT to metro area.

For our next trip we would like to go to Spain and the South of France.

We are about to complete a 3 mth trip of Europe/UK. We travelled to London, Paris, Switzerland, Germany, Dublin (to see Billy Joel) through Italy, Austria, Prague, Copenhagen and Amsterdam.

For those planning trips, I have had great success with airbnb and trains were my favourite way to travel. Checkout www.themaninseat61.com for timetables, and suggestions for booking cheap fares in great seats.

Regards Jason

Last edited:
I know there are average folk here, earning average - and below average wage - but the % would be low.

Am on average salary ... Agree that most people who posted here are usually on high salary range, but isn't it because we don't hear from the lurkers?

Back to holiday

Trip to HK early this year booked. Hoping to visit US, some part of Europe and south africa in the next 2-3 years. Would love to visit Japan again, probably Hokkaido and Sapporo a n d other place we haven't visited.:eek:

I had a trip planned but it got aborted by getting a job.

I have been studying IT but needed experience. And my daughters have absolutely lived South America. So the planned trip was a work experience internship in Medellin, Colombia for three months (in IT) staying with a local family- preceded by a month of Spanish study in Sucre Bolivia- one on one study for four hours a day, homestay accommodation and including food costs less than $200pw.

While there is a lot to see in these two countries so close together but so different, for me it's more about being a part of the daily life and culture. The dream will have to be postponed.

I see from the poll that there are more than just the one of me earning the very low incomes......

We are doing an Evergreen European river cruise later in 2014, with three days before in Prague and three days afterwards in Paris. We will be taking two full days and nights stopover each way in Singapore, going to the zoo plus Asian stuff. It will be our first time to Asia and Europe, we will be away for four weeks.

I've been to Tasmania three times already and really loved it.

BV

I was always on a low salary and my husband basically stayed at home and built two houses part time, worked part time and looked after our son so I could work full time. From there we bought other property with loans

Its because of property that I am no longer on the low salary and can afford to travel the world constantly

I live on residential rents on Victorian property and have bought and sold units and apartments, mainly in Cairns at the lowest point and sold at the high point, to give me a really good cash buffer :)

I have too much in assets and cash to qualify for the aged pension...how good is that!!!!! :D

Chris

WM - I will miss you in Japan by about 2 weeks :rolleyes:

I currently have the following holidays planned of 2014.
Moscow, Sakhalin, Japan in Jan
4 weeks in Australia in March
Sailing in Greece/turkey in May for 3weeks
12 days Padelling down the Nepalise River in July

That gets me till July, so not sure what I will do for the remainder of the year. I would like to get back to egypt for a bit, and have to go to Indonesia at some point also, but I might try to squeeze that into the Australia trip in March. I would also like to visit Christmas Island at some point, and again, I might try and squeeze that into the March trip.

Blacky

So many trips! They all sound great.

Sadly, we don't have anything planned for the forseeable future so I don't know where we'll go next. Maybe a quick family trip to NZ mid-year? Not sure.

I am dreaming of a couple of separate multi-month-long trips to Europe, would love to see Russia and China, can't wait to show my partner the Middle East and South Korea (and would go to North Korea in a hearbeat), will definitely go back to Japan yet again, and a snow trip to Canada would be great as well. So many plans.

Long service leave!

Hi all

Yes after 10 years of hard work, my partner & I are doing the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise then taking a flight across to Venice to board a Mediterranean cruise round the Greek Islands disembarking at Barcelona then a couple of days in Dubai on the way home. All this in August, so am now madly saving! It's such a pity you book this type of big trip thinking u have a few months to save to pay for it, then they say the trip money has to be paid in April! Yikes .... Gee have I got that money just sitting around?.. Well lucky I have educated my kids who now earn triple amount per hour more than me and will be my backup plan if I need ....lol Well have checked the accounts & think I'll be okay. Kids are probably thinking of a profitable payment plan for their mum! Just a joke, they would give me the shirt off their backs if I needed it. I'm very lucky!!

USA in middle of next year. Colorado, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, NYC. Yeeha! Have a bunch of very good mates over there I've never met in person so looking forward to spend time with them, take in the sites and do whatever comes up!

Canada and US (east and west) around the same time as Television.

Darwin and Broome early next year.

Waiting for things to settle so that I can take the family to Egypt and Jordan as we had to cancel that trip this year.

I would love to visit Russia but no one is keen to go.

Hi Television,

I go to Texas four times a year, its great but late July and August are very hot!!!!!

Make sure you take sunscreen and when you get there you buy OFF insect repellent, available at Target, to keep the mossies away to stop any chance of getting West Nile which is spread by mossies.

Some of the Dallas counties spray the streets at night but two years ago there were a lot of deaths in the area. This year people took more notice and the numbers were way down.

If you are in the Dallas area make sure you go to Fair Park, the most amazing Art Deco buildings. Chanel used it last weekend for their release of latest fashion designs. They must have been impressed as they held it in an ice storm!!!!!

Enjoy your time, its great and the people are very friendly.

Chris

Hi Television,

I go to Texas four times a year, its great but late July and August are very hot!!!!!

Make sure you take sunscreen and when you get there you buy OFF insect repellent, available at Target, to keep the mossies away to stop any chance of getting West Nile which is spread by mossies.

Some of the Dallas counties spray the streets at night but two years ago there were a lot of deaths in the area. This year people took more notice and the numbers were way down.

If you are in the Dallas area make sure you go to Fair Park, the most amazing Art Deco buildings. Chanel used it last weekend for their release of latest fashion designs. They must have been impressed as they held it in an ice storm!!!!!

Enjoy your time, its great and the people are very friendly.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the hot tips! (pun 100% intended)

I'll be staying with locals so hopefully they will see me right in avoiding catching West Nile or Republicanism, and as a Ginger Australian I actually just shower in sun screen instead of water so I should be covered from that angle too!

I'll be sure to get around and have a geeze at the Art Deco buildings, thanks very much for your advice :)

Back