Am I getting old?

doesn't hurt that i live in an area where it is a high socio economic level - hence "parents" tend to be older.
That does help. I'm about the same age as the mums at playgroup, but most of those have another child who's in kindy as well as the baby and/or toddler at playgroup.

Then there's the mums at school ... they're older than me (although it is hard to tell with people who work on the land in the sun) ... don't know any of them from a bar of soap, none of them go to playgroup, and the party we had last week the youngest sibling that was dragged along looked like they were pushing 5, and some of them were complaining about having to go to the year 6 or 7 class party too. Large age gaps between children are bad, mmmkay?

If I was in the next town down the road I'd easily be 10-15 years older than the other local mums and they'd all be staring at me wondering where my 16yo was and why I'm not a grandmother yet. Where I grew up, lots of my friends had kids at 15 so I'm well and truly grandmother age by *that* standard.

If I was in the next town down the road I'd easily be 10-15 years older than the other local mums and they'd all be staring at me wondering where my 16yo was and why I'm not a grandmother yet. Where I grew up, lots of my friends had kids at 15 so I'm well and truly grandmother age by *that* standard.

LOl! We used to know a woman who was a grandmother at 28.:eek:

It's funny. When I tell people that I have a 20yo daughter they are surprised... You must have got married very young.

Yet I shave my head because my hair won't grow.

Personally I think debbie looks great, I love her hair and wouldn't want her to colour it.

It's definately the demographic. At work the guys having kids are in their forties, out our way there are definately a lot of single mums.

Note the reply I get... You must have got MARRIED young. There is an assumption that children come after marriage, I can only say that this is not the same assumption everywhere.

Andrew

You did kinda get married young though. But there's nothing wrong with that.

If any of you have met my Dad you'd think he looks younger than he does, Mum as well, a tenant of our was only a few years older and looked like she was 70!!! :eek:

My ex boyfriends Mum is 38, her youngest son (10) thought that my mum was the same age, because of his mum being so young!

I have a couple of friends though that think my mum is about 40 :)

If any of you have met my Dad you'd think he looks younger than he does, Mum as well, a tenant of our was only a few years older and looked like she was 70!!! :eek:
My tenants are smokers. I thought they were well into their 60s. Turns out they are in their early 50s ...

I became a step-grandma at 39 years old.... and I have the opposite problem.. people think I'm joking when I talk about my grandkids! My kids are still quite young, so it seems very strange to also have grandkids.
I don't like being called grandma, and because its a complicated family structure amongst all the stepgrandparents, didn't want everyone to be grandma. So, I'm yiayia, which is the Greek word for grandma. But its hard for everyone, except me, to remember!
I think being a grandma is great though.. I can understand why my parents seemed to enjoy the role more than being a parent! Its such a different relationship and so much more relaxed than having kids, and they are so cute!! So, I would recommend grandparenthood to everyone!
Pen

Today I had to skate around Darling Harbour/Pyrmont near the entrance to the Shopping Centre where the footbridge is and we had to give out vouchers for a new icecream store. There were three of us that had to do this. Lil Skater & the young girl who took over skating with Hubby due to my arthritic hip. They wanted skaters aged from 18-mid 20's. Someone pulled out, so I was asked.

Well......I sure didn't feel old during the first hour, and I am sure that the people that I approached didn't feel that way either, judging from some of the comments I got. The going was tough. It was paved, which means that the wheels can easily get stuck in the cracks, the area was a slope AND it was drizzling rain, making it slippery.

But by the time I took my skates off I did feel old. My hip was giving me curry and my ankles were thobbing (they do that when I'm not skating regularly due to the thickness of the leather).

hehehe

Hey Skater, going to say this in nice way, but you know what im saying :)

The locals in the neighbourhood have kids at 16.... so 16 + 16 = 32 basically anyone over 30 could be grand parent :) I dont know how old you are, but it could compliment as in geez your 30 and you dont have grandkids... :) not as in old....

I remember as a kid at school kids would say oh someones poppy is here to pick them up, it was my dad... lol my parents were 50 when they had me. Accident, even though my mum says i was a gift.

And someone that can put on a pair of skates and hand out vouchers for icecreams really doesn't have me envisioning an "old" person.

You'll stay out of the Retirement Village for a while yet, skater.;)

Regards JO

The locals in the neighbourhood have kids at 16.... so 16 + 16 = 32 basically anyone over 30 could be grand parent :)

Yeah, I know. Like I said earlier, we knew someone who was a grandmother at 28, so I suppose with reasoning like that I'm old enough to almost be a great-grandmother.:eek: Now that is a scary thought.

Exactly Nathan, geez by our areas standards i should have two by now!! :eek:

And if it helps any Mum i feel old because my legs are killing me, but that's what you get for walking around in 6" heels for hours on end!

Hey I think Lindsay looks great except when she went stick thin and then turned into Whatshername Versace.

And you know what, there's nothing wrong with getting older as long as you keep having fun. I can't wait to get to the age where I can just say stuff it I'm doing what I want to and wearing what I want to and I don't give a rats @rse what anyone else thinks. Getting older gives you more freedom to be yourself.

I for one am looking forward to my naughty forties and officially becoming a cougar :p

Back