are there good careers without extra study?

It's just that for a minute you had me thinking I was getting perks ;).

The last perk I got given were buns on the table at morning tea many many years ago.

Now we don't even 'officially' get milk for 'our' tea and coffee :eek:.

Like a few others have said join the military.
I did my time in the RAAF got to see parts of the world on the Govt $$$
It set me up for where I am today. No experience required other than
the ability to do a bit of hard work.
If he can score a position as an officer it is even easier.

i would say for him to try getting into a TA position on a mine site. from there he can take courses in first aid, rigging, boilermaking etc part time as a tax-deduction to tdo with work, or the site may pay for him to do it anyway.

TA = trade assistant.

Wouldn't even bother at this point of time. Seriously, if you've got no experience you've got very little chance of getting on to a mine site now.

Slightly off topic but what the hell!

I was speaking to the painting subcontractor a few weeks ago and he said he can't get quality apprentices or qualified tradesmen etc.

The School Councellor agrees with him " They [students]all want 50K a year jobs as a minimum"

He has started 10 apprentices over the last X number of years and only 4 finished their apprenticeship and none work for him now as they want to work in the capital city for the nightlife!

He said they have to travel away from home to go to TAFE for their block education.

All they do {after the first few blocks} is 'Rock and roll and party hard' for each week that they are at TAFE.

He would like to train more apprentices but they all want 50K when start out wage is 20_30K.

Cheers
Sheryn

Last edited:
A young man I know worked part-time for KFC until he finished school, then he went on to become one of their trainee Managers (you need no experience & they like them young). He did this and worked his way up to become a Manager & had quite a bit of responsibility. During this time, whenever he was offered any training course within the organisation he did it (at no cost to himself). He recently left KFC for Aldi and is now around 23 years of age, a Regional Manager (or similar) and earning over $80K.

Similar story except he worked at Maccas through HS and Uni, became an accountant, built up wealth and borrowed every cent he could to buy a Maccas franchise. By the end of first year he had easily repaid his $1mil debt and earned more.

I think he needs to make those decisions himself. My bro worked as a pc technician whilst studying IT but then changed course to Cookery, started as a dishwasher to kitchenhand to Apprentice Chef. By 22y.o he had worked at ANA Hotel, Shangri La, Observatory, Qantas Catering. He works very hard, long shifts and it has caused loads of health problems i.e wrists, back aches etc

I was so worried about him but I never meddled and let him choose his own path. I'm so proud that he's a hard
worker and not a lazy bone.

I think I will be worried if my kids didn't want to go to Uni, even disappointed since I invested so much in their education to give them the best start in life that I could. I think Uni is good coz it's something you can fall back on. I would be less worried if he did go to Uni.

Just let him enjoy being 18.

Exactly!

I don't think many boys (sorry; men) of 18 know what they want to do.

I think just be there, support him in whatever he wants to do, encourage him to explore numerous options and see where he fits.

I remember this old boy at Commonwealth Golf Club where I worked for a few years when I was in my early twenties (does this sound like an old grandpa's boring lecture??) over 20 years ago.

He and I were pretty close - sorta like a friend/father. Retired, and worth a few million. I'd say he's passed on by now.

He was the ex-CEO of Malvern Star (bikes). He told me he hated school, left as soon as he was allowed and got a job at Malvern Star, began as the store-room buy who swept thre floor and took out the rubbish for the factory workers.

So, you just never know.

Hi Francine,

Another thought - not quite as glamourous as what he is probably looking for, but has he thought of volunteering at a few places to see what he likes doing? Some places may pay for him to do courses (low stress ones that you can do in your own time) while he volunteers, and volunteer work looks very good on a resume.

My first job I volunteered for a year at a Youth Services place as the receptionist while they paid for me to study in my own time, and it was the best thing I ever did. I have studied my bum off since but all via distance ed - I have managed to have two kids at the same time and work 3 days per week too, can be stressful but its all how you manage the stress that makes the difference.

Tell him to look into Distance Ed - its your own time and you can do it when you feel like it. Sometimes actually just enrolling and getting started might be the motivation he needs, plus its pretty rewarding each time you cross of a unit and the end is closer and closer.

Just my two cents...

Alysha

www.gatherumgoss.com

Last edited:
He is the perfect age to have a go at being his own boss. There are so many opportunities out there , it just needs a bit of enthusiasm and a good idea not necessarily money. With presumably no financial commitments and living at home, its perfect scenario to build his own business. Whatever he is interested in is a good start, just find a good angle on it. To make $1000PW he only needs a reason for 10 people to pay him $100. Education is not required, but a bit of drive and imagination are. I would love to be 18 again with so many opportunities out there.

career paths that dont need further study.

thanks for heaps of hilarious humour,

and many really good suggestions and helpful tales of personal experience.

One of my real strengths is that i do let my kids find their own path.

working with his strengths and interests, -His passion had been in sports fitness weight lifting and he studied personal training but had read many aspects as a passion for years. an admin or retail saile position, in a gym or nutritional supps may be a good suggestion if he wants admin now rather than being a personal trainer. Thanks for so many good suggestions. Or as many of you say one thing will lead to another.

TA position on a mind site first aid rigging boilermaking> interesting. I dont quite know what Ta rigging and boilermaking are but sounds different.

I let my kids find their individual paths and they make enough efforts.

i am very supportive, encouraging in whatever way i can and i dont see any problem with that. I feel that helps in life to have encouragement and wisdom but freedom to choose what suits you. Info helps. Having people around who can give various info, expereinces and insights without judgement or control can be extremely helpful in life. I often didnt have much of that but my kids are lucky to have each other and to have me giving them whatever encouragement, information, or wisdom i can.

Yes he is young enough to try a few things that will lead him closer to a good path. I've heard about a 18-25 year old crisis where kids feel they need the perfect job immediately instead of realising its a process over many years. I have a daughter also who studied at uni for years then realised she wanted to do something else and changed paths and is flourishing now. It didnt happen by 18 it happened by 25.Its nt easy the time inthe middle while you dont know and are trying various things.

thanks for the good suggestions-mentors, property investing,( he is good with saving and peter span, anita bell all became wealthy while working part time in woolies) trying different things, public service, roles that will give him more skills/training, bus driver, connex, apprenticeces,tradesman,electrician ( not really his interest or talent)public service, army

army? i dont really understand how that works for administration type roles. Heavy army training is not what he needs right now while he recovers.

he has worked in subway and various things since a young age while studying.Thanks Jaycee for the way you verbalised my sons direction at present.

I wonder what admin roles he could volunterr for. He seems to be wanting to try some sort of admin role rather than fast food outlet which he has done for a while already.Very interesting Skater, Bayview and Sue, about being able to be a young manager of kfc or some fast food outlets doing well and then having skills to be managers elsewhere or to buy such a franchise. or build up from a low job and end up being a CEo.

Peastman with his interest of powerlifting and personal training without being a personal trainer there are heaps of products. Unsure if he wold hve the confidence for a business but interesting idea to consider. I'd love to hear more.

There are alot of full time admin jobs. I think he needs to start with a part time something and buld up his confidence and health first.

Lots of good insights and ideas thanks guys.

thanks so much!!!!

Francine.

Back