Credit CArd Rewards, which is best ?

Hi All

Have been looking around at various C/cards for the reward schemes mainly Commonwealth and citibank has anyone got these ones ? are the rewards any good ?

Thanks

martin

I have an ANZ rewards and it is rubbish and would advise any body not to bother with any these Banks Gimmicks...............
you are better off saving the money yourself and buying what you want when you want.............
For example, I have many, and I mean many, "rewards points", so I thought it would be a good time to take the family on a holiday............well, what a debacle, everytime I tried to arrange it with the rewards centre they would say, sorry, we have nothing available for those dates or sorry, we have nothing available at that destination, or we can put you and your wife in this "crap"room and your kids (3 and 5 years old) in another crap room at the other end of the resort or why don't you try another destination, why don't you try another time, or sorry, we can put you and your wife in for Friday but nothing for your children till Sunday (WHat the F....?)

So I am sure you get my drift!!!!!

Big Tone

westpac altitude amex 55 day interest free - pay off the card monthly. 2-3 points for every dollar spent (depending on where). return flight to nz for 30,000 points - so have to only spent $10,000 to get ... but if you put "everything on the card" and pay it off each month (no interest) it takes me only around 3-4 months to get a flight.

but this has been discussed to death in the coffee lounge - do a search.

Last edited:
Big Tone,

With the ANZ rewards card you can turn your points into cash on your credit card.

I think it is about 13,750 points for every $100 they credit to your card.

Why not just exchange your points for credit to your card and arrange your holiday through someone more accomodating.

Big Tone,

With the ANZ rewards card you can turn your points into cash on your credit card.

I think it is about 13,750 points for every $100 they credit to your card.

Why not just exchange your points for credit to your card and arrange your holiday through someone more accomodating.

I actually transfered them to frequent flyer points!

Read somewhere that Westpac Altitude is the one of the best reward program ... roughly, $6500 spent to earn $100 reward ...

I actually transfered them to frequent flyer points!

Big Tone

I used to have ANZ Frequent Flyer awards card and I agree with you , load of crap unless you book ages in advance.

But I swapped it to the standard ANZ rewards card (as willy1111 said) , and it is much better and more flexible , you can use them for just about anything , including cash.

We pay all our bills on this card , have the bank automatically take the payments at the due date , so we never pay interest , I cant remember the anual fee , but it is way under $100 , and our "rewards" total between $500 and $600 a year.

Ive also been known to use some on the Liquorland vouchers offered :)

We have Westpac Altitude with attached Amex. Amex purchases give us two points per dollar and mastercard purchases give us one point per dollar.

I find it very worthwhile. Last year we cashed in our reward points for $600 worth of Myer vouchers for gifts.

We don't spend more than we would just to get points, but do spend mostly on the card and pay it off in full each month.

Big Tone

I used to have ANZ Frequent Flyer awards card and I agree with you , load of crap unless you book ages in advance.

But I swapped it to the standard ANZ rewards card (as willy1111 said) , and it is much better and more flexible , you can use them for just about anything , including cash.

We pay all our bills on this card , have the bank automatically take the payments at the due date , so we never pay interest , I cant remember the anual fee , but it is way under $100 , and our "rewards" total between $500 and $600 a year.

Ive also been known to use some on the Liquorland vouchers offered :)

It was an ANZ Gold Rewards card and we even tried to book accomodation for the end of next year, to no avail........so that is when I transfered them to frequent flyer points instead of redeeming them for cash.

CBA Platinum card. $1 = 1 point (150,000 annual limit) and convert 1:1 to Qantas Frequent Flyer points. Hawaii here we come! :)

CBA Platinum card. $1 = 1 point (150,000 annual limit) and convert 1:1 to Qantas Frequent Flyer points. Hawaii here we come! :)

Platinum? Now I'm jealous! I've got the CBA Gold Card $1=1 point.
I've accumulated 108,000 points so far.
It also offers free and very high standard travel insurance when you pay for your international air tickets using the card.
To me, it's worth the annual fee.

Platinum? Now I'm jealous! I've got the CBA Gold Card $1=1 point.
I've accumulated 108,000 points so far.
It also offers free and very high standard travel insurance when you pay for your international air tickets using the card.
To me, it's worth the annual fee.

Spot on Rob, annual fee is worth it when you earn enough points.

PS Going to the ark meeting tomorrow night in case you are as well...

I have ANZ Qantas card and AMEX Qantas card.
I swap all rewards points for Qantas Frequent Flyers. Over the past 3 years, we have taken 3 flights to Bangkok, 4 flights to Brisbane and I'm about to book 3 tickets to Japan. So, I've found them quite good! If you are going to get Frequent Flyers, you earn alot more points through CC than you do when actually flying!
But I don't think you should choose the CC on the basis of the points you earn..... get something which works for your finances and the rewards are a bonus.
You have to pay an annual fee on both to earn points, which is a rip off, and of course, QFF charges to join up, which the Star Alliance ones don't usually.

I don't even consider taking any other rewards eg acommodation etc.
Pen

I think it depends on what you want from the cards.

I have Platnium CBA and found the fee and being qantas flights average. Good for covert to meal vouchers though.

Moved to NAB Virgin Amex/Visa and I get 2 points for $1 Amex and 1 point for $1 visa. All go to Virgin Flights which are very very easy to redeem. Free to join inthe first year and at the right time they give you 15k starter points to join up.

I especially like the fact the two providers VISA and AMEX are on the same account so two card but only one account to manage. This is good as Amex is not widely accepted.

I note Amex have a new card which promises 5% cash back. Seems to good to be true. Any comments?

Peter

New Holden every year Holden Card

:)My wife and i both have Holden Cards. Westpac run them.

For every $10 you spend you get $! towards a new car.
I change my Commodores every twelve months just before rego . In january when last years models rae being discounted. We run everything through our cards. Rates, Insurances, Land Taxes, Food, Fuel, dog food, Mcdonalds, etc, etc,etc.
Does not take long to build up the max of $ 3000 towards a new Commodore.

Last January I went in & negotiated my best deal with Holden dealer . After trade in was $6000 change over. Pulled ouy the card and got my $3000 rebate. So only had to pay $3000 to go back into a new car again. Then pulled out the Holden Card and paid the changeover with that. $300 towards next yrs change over.
The trade in had 20000klm on it was due for rego $ 700 and a service $300 plus wear and tear tyres etc.

So equates to about $2k per yr out of pocket. Ev
Even if I kept the car 5 yrs it would cost me more in the long run by the time you do maintenance, repairs, rego etc.

Keep up the HOLDEN CARD:p

Gee Cee

The guy in the new car

Gee Cee

The guy in the new car

GC, with all due respect .. you're doing it wrong! No doubt someone will be along shortly from one of the "how to re-use your slivers of soap" threads any minute to kick off the re-education session.

In the mean time - GO YOU! What's the point of this caper if not to enjoy it on the things that mean something to you?

Back