Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

I'm nearing the end with a goal of around 58 kg's. 2 more to go :)

Its exciting because I'm starting to actually see some tummy definition now which I've never seen before in my whole life haha! :D

tumblr_ltpe6kNRio1qhyogx.gif

Here's a list of Needn't Foods ;)

Researchers at the University of Otago, Christchurch have developed a new list of 49 ‘NEEDNT’ foods as part of a treatment research programme for obesity.

The list, published in the latest New Zealand Medical Journal, has been developed primarily to help obese people more clearly identify those foods that are best avoided in a healthy diet and only eaten from time to time as a treat, or in some cases avoided altogether.

The researchers describe NEEDNT foods (see list below) as those which are energy (calorie) dense or high in fat and/or added sugars, foods that are prepared using a high fat cooking method, such as frying or roasting, or those foods which have a large amount of energy relative to their essential nutrient (vitamin and/or mineral) content.

“This list of 49 common foods is designed as a therapeutic intervention to be used by health professionals with obese or overweight people wanting to lose weight. It’s aimed at differentiating nutritious foods from those that are just high in calories,” says lead researcher and dietitian Dr Jane Elmslie.

“Many people struggle to know what to eat if they have a weight problem. The advice out there is often complicated and contradictory. It can be quite difficult to understand the relevance of health-related product endorsements and the information on food labels.”

Dr Elmslie stresses this is not just another list of high calorie foods. “The foods on this list are high in calories, and they are also low in essential nutrients (vitamins and minerals), or are able to be replaced by lower calorie more nutritious alternatives.”

The list of 49 foods was compiled using the National Heart Foundation and Diabetes New Zealand’s ‘Foods to Avoid’, ‘Stop Eating’ and ‘Optional Foods’ lists, as well as the Canterbury District Health Board’s ‘Supermarket Shopping Guide’.

The list names the generic food, and suggests a healthier replacement or none at all. For instance some of the foods where there is no easy low energy replacement according to the NEEDNT list are: muesli bars, ice cream, cakes, chocolate, doughnuts, jam, honey, pies and pastries.

“Muesli bars are a classic example of how overweight people can be misled into thinking they’re eating healthy food. In fact most muesli bars are high in calories, and fat and sugar, with minimal nutritional value. Essentially they are just another form of biscuit,” says Dr Elmslie.

Dr Ria Schroder points out that, “simply avoiding NEEDNT foods is unlikely to be an effective weight reduction strategy on its own. However knowing which foods to make individual rules for, can help people think more carefully about whether what they are eating is nutritious and necessary, or just random recreational grazing.”

The authors say that with 63% of New Zealanders now either obese or overweight there is an urgent need for new strategies or guidelines to deal with this growing health issue, and the NEEDNT list is one possible approach.

The authors intend carrying out further research to examine the impact of the NEEDNT list on overweight or obese adults who want to lose weight

NEEDNT FOODS (with replacements in brackets if available)

1. Alcoholic drinks (Water/diet soft drinks)
2. Biscuits
3. Butter, lard, dripping or similar fat (Lite margarine or similar spread or omit)
4. Cakes
5. Chocolate
6. Coconut cream (Lite coconut milk/coconut flavoured lite evaporated milk)
7. Condensed milk
8. Cordial (Water/Sugar free cordial)
9. Corn chips
10. Cream, including creme fraiche (Natural yoghurt, or flavoured yoghurt depending on use)
11. Crisps, including vegetable crisps
12. Desserts/puddings
13. Doughnuts
14. Drinking Chocolate, Milo etc (Cocoa plus artificial sweetener)
15. Energy drinks (Water)
16. Flavoured milk/milkshakes (Trim, Calcitrim or Lite Blue Milk)
17. Fruit tinned in syrup, even lite syrup (Fruit tinned in juice/artificially sweetened)
18. Fried food (Boiled, grilled or baked food)
19. Frozen yoghurt (Ordinary yoghurt)
20. Fruit juice, except tomato juice and unsweetened blackcurrant juice (Fresh fruit)
21. Glucose (Artificial sweetener)
22. High fat crackers (Lower fat crackers)
23. Honey
24. Hot chips
25. Ice cream
26. Jam
27. Marmalade
28. Mayonnaise (Lite dressings/lite mayonnaise)
29. Muesli bars
30. Muffins
31. Nuts roasted in fat or oil (Dry roasted or raw nuts)
32. Pastries
33. Pies
34. Popcorn with butter or oil (Air popped popcorn)
35. Quiches (Crust-less quiches)
36. Reduced cream (Natural yoghurt)
37. Regular luncheon sausage (Low fat luncheon sausage)
38. Regular powdered drinks (e.g. Raro) (Water/Diet/Sugar free powdered drinks)
39. Regular salami (Low fat salami)
40. Regular sausages (Low fat sausages)
41. Regular soft drinks (Water/Diet soft drinks)
42. Rollups (Fresh fruit)
43. Sour cream (Natural yoghurt)
44. Sugar (Artificial sweetener)
45. Sweets/lollies
46. Syrups such as golden syrup, treacle, maple syrup (Artificial sweetener)
47. Toasted muesli and any other breakfast cereal with greater than 15g sugar per 100g cereal
48. Whole Milk (Trim, Calcitrim or Lite Blue Milk)
49. Yoghurt type products with greater than 10g sugar per 100g yoghurt

Source

Source

Sweet Poison

Apparently sales of the book "Sweet Poison" have taken off since the SUNDAY show with Peter FITZSIMMONS aired on the weekend

Parts 1 & 2 here

Apparently sales of the book "Sweet Poison" have taken off since the SUNDAY show with Peter FITZSIMMONS aired on the weekend

I found it funny that the My Kitchen Rules episode that aired straight after that story was based on recipes with sugar. They were in North Queensland promoting the sugar industry.

At 10.15 last night on 612 ABC local radio Tony Delroy had the author of Sweet Poison and a female dietitian on, head to head, and boy was it fun to listen to.

I was picturing Tony holding the shrill sounding dietitian back from ripping the much more calm author's head off. They didn't agree on much :D.

They both made a lot of sense, but I believe he is on a winner with his ideas. I think he said that the "average" Australian eats/drinks 32 teaspoons of suger per day whereas the maximum should be eight. You get that much in a can of Coke.

They both made a lot of sense, but I believe he is on a winner with his ideas. I think he said that the "average" Australian eats/drinks 32 teaspoons of suger per day whereas the maximum should be eight. You get that much in a can of Coke.

If that is the average then I would probably exceed it but I am near single figure % body fat. Reason being I ride/run/swim 6 days a week (not all sports) so I burn it up. The "sweet poison" gets me up the Mt Dandenong's 1/20 without bonking and allows me to break my PR's up Ricketts point challenge.
There's not many things more enjoyable than ho'ing into a whole bag of Allans snakes or sherbies.
mmm sweet poison.

If that is the average then I would probably exceed it but I am near single figure % body fat. Reason being I ride/run/swim 6 days a week (not all sports) so I burn it up. The "sweet poison" gets me up the Mt Dandenong's 1/20 without bonking and allows me to break my PR's up Ricketts point challenge.
There's not many things more enjoyable than ho'ing into a whole bag of Allans snakes or sherbies.
mmm sweet poison.

Bonking must have more than one meaning... :D

Hi, how is it going? :)

I have worked hard on my mindset and have started back at weight watchers. So far I've lost 4 kg.

My reward for reaching my goal weight is property #3. I have a lot of incentive there!!

The biggest reward though for me is to be able to play sports again. My knees are f**** atm cos I'm having to carry around too much excess weight. It puts too much pressure on my joints. I hit rock bottom when I realised if I wanted to play my sport then I would have to lose the weight. So I took drastic action! I havent looked back since.

:)

I have been doing heaps of walking. At least 2 hours everyday. Yesterday I walked a half marathon distance. The weight is falling off me.

I find it motivating to keep a running tally in my sig too! 1st goal is to lose 10 Kg by June 8.

How is everyone else going with their weight loss/management?

:)

Wow I didnt realise this topic started back in 2010 when I first started on my fat loss journey. So i'm reading through my old posts. This topic has kind of been like a journal for me along with myfitness pal. Its my 2nd year anniversary today!

Currently I weigh 61 kg, have become a lot thinner in the past 6 months. :) People think I've lost heaps of weight over the past 6 - 12 months yet the scale has hardly moved haha. My body has undergone a huge transformation (recomp) lost a staggering amount of centimeters and body fat % !! and have replaced with muscle. I was always trying to get to 58 kg but now I'm not so fixated on that number on the scale. I bought a pair of size 7 Levis the other day. Wow I was so excited.

I am so determined to be back and playing, and playing again like I used to be able to play when i was a healthy body weight. I am doing everything to get there.

All of my dreams have come true. We had a scratch match the other night. I played really well. Felt like old times again! Kicked a couple of goals, set up numerious others. Had the time of my f*** life out there! Loving how I can cover the ground. I'm so fit now. :) I cant wait for round 1.

Back