Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

I get hungry a LOT more than 3 times a day. So I eat! Unless its really close to dinner time, in which case I just make dinner early ... which invariably leads to needing an evening snack, but you win some, you lose some.

I tend to have breakfast, morning snack, lunch at 11 or 11:30, another lunch at 2ish, snack at 4, dinner at 6, evening snack at 10pm.

APK,
This is not directed at you.

I just wonder how many over weight people realise that they should be hungry at least 3 times a day.

Being hungry doesn't mean it's time to eat..it means your next meal time is getting close.

In my experience, the sensation of full and empty gets completely out of whack when you are overweight, particularly if you have yo-yo dieted.

I feel it now (like RIGHT now! ;) )... but for many years I never really experienced hunger at all, and I only experienced "full" when I was absolutely stuffed to overflowing. It took a diet readjustment, and also medication for maintaining insulin levels to kick my hunger signals back on.

I think alot of people eat cause they are bored, or because its "time to eat". Then they fill their plates, and they eat everything on their plate, and they have no sensation of when they've actually had enough.

Also, one of the challenges of insulin resistance, which comes generally from overeating and eating sugar, is that your cells arent getting enough sugar, so you keep producing insulin, which causes you to crave sugar..... Its a vicious cycle. I think some insulin maintaining medication earlier in the process for yo-yo dieters/overeaters would actually help many people to lose weight more easily. A Glucose tolerance test can diagnose whether there is a mismatch with insulin production. I went from having nasty sugar cravings every day (eating family blocks chocolate and drinking alcohol every day) to eating very little sugar within a few days of starting the tablets. Its certainly something that "will power" alone could not have achieved. Once I lost some weight, I didnt need the medication any longer, and sugar cravings are still not there nearly 12 months on.

In my experience, the sensation of full and empty gets completely out of whack when you are overweight, particularly if you have yo-yo dieted.

I agree.
Overweight people also seem to have no idea of what is a portion.

Admittedly, I am not the norm, as I rarely eat everything on my plate.
I get full very fast, but would maybe want a small snack a couple hours later.

Skates its all about getting your perspective & responsibilities right - if they're on the supermarket shelf they're in your trolley, if they're in your trolley they're in your pantry, if they're in your pantry they're in you! :eek:

Who ever is responsible for stocking the supermarket shelf its ALL their fault why you eat them! ;)

That;s the thing though ( a problem actually), more than half of AUstralia can;t take responsibility for their diet and lifestyle, they always make excuses and blame their: job, partner, lack of partner, lack of "gym facilities", lack of "good food" present, being hungry all the time, not having the time to make proper nutritious food... the list goes on.

It's funny, everytime I tell someone to stop going to Maccas or KFC, the first thing they tell me is how they don't care about getting fat or need to get fat... no one ever mentions that they are not scared about having a heart attack in their 40s or a stroke that could make them an invalid for life, or that they will get cancer from eating toxic and malnutrition food.

Getting fat on junk food is the least of your worries.

Oi! Don't diss KFC! Love the stuff :D

An all-stars box + streetwise 2 piece = enough food for 3 people for $14, so can't complain about the price either!

The clientele at fast food places always amuses me. Its a mix of rake-thin teenagers, plump young adults, enormous older adults and musclebound tradies. And us :)

But then there we are with an allstars box between three people and the elephant at the next table has a family feast bucket all to themselves.

Alex, to make things a little easier on yourself when dieting and training hard, allow yourself 1 cheat meal a week.

Make it your last meal of the day, if you can, if not lunch, that way it doesnt turn into a cheat day full of crap. If you feel like a burger, or pizza, or ice cream on that day, just have it! It will help keep you sane, and wont really have any detrimental effects to your diet.

Well, I just found out how to lose weight.

I broke a tooth last night. It has a really sharp edge (I cut my finger on it and it is like a knife cut). So, when I chew, it tries to saw its way through my cheek. Very effective to stop you eating!

And I'm sure I still won't be eating when I get it pulled out :(

Alex, to make things a little easier on yourself when dieting and training hard, allow yourself 1 cheat meal a week.

Make it your last meal of the day, if you can, if not lunch, that way it doesnt turn into a cheat day full of crap. If you feel like a burger, or pizza, or ice cream on that day, just have it! It will help keep you sane, and wont really have any detrimental effects to your diet.

I sometimes will do this. Its a good idea! Every few weeks or so. Plus mums dinners on Sunday nights often are more calorific than my usual meals.

Nearly 30 kg weight loss

I've been eating between 1800 and 1900 calories a day along with the daily vigorous exercise. I also am doing a new weights routine focussing on my core strength using a fitness ball and more of an endurance type weight training. The body has been shocked I reckon from such a new routine. I have never done these types of exercises before!

Only problem I have to be careful of burnout and overtraining. I've been totally killing myself this past month to lose the weight and I've had great success but I ended up burning myself out. Usually I dont have any days off. I only have a day off when I burn out but this past 2 weeks I've had 1 day off a week. Perhaps I should do a long walk on my day off so as to prevent burnout. I could do 5 vigorous days and 2 easy/moderate days. I usually count my bike riding as an easy/moderate day but sometimes its soooo windy out there it turns into a vigorous activity.

I had my re appraisal today. In the past 8 weeks I lost 2.2 kg and 3cm off my waist. So happy with this. I'm now down to 61.5 kg and my target is 58. I'll see how my body likes it at that weight. I still have pudge around my tummy i want to get rid of. Its slowly but surely coming off around the tummy but still have a bit of work to do to get it flatter.

The sprint work has really worked wonders in helping me to lose the weight because the previous 8 weeks I only lost .3 of a kg. I have been doing hill sprints, and interval sprints plus a different weights program. To stop from burning out and overtraining i'm now training just 5/6 times a week vigorously. On the non exercise days I walk. My body is loving me for it!! So twice a week are the sprints, twice a week riding my bike long distances and once a week a jog. Twice a week weights.

wooohooo. :) Goal is to hit 58 kg by April and that weight should be low enough for me and my body type. Oh yeah I had my skinfolds taken and I am 26.5% body fat, i just scraped into the healthy range. I'd like to get that down to 23% body fat. Any lower than 23% and I'd be under 55 kg and that is just too light for me.

Soooo close to 30 kg lost!!! woooohooo

I have been doing hill sprints, and interval sprints

How good is HIIT Alex. I did it once and I have never felt like that, ever. I was routinely running 5 k's a day at the time. Tried the HIIT, did maybe 5 intervals and felt like I was going to vomit.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine was talking about HIIT on the weekend and now I am thinking of giving it a proper go again. Reading your post really put it to the fore of my mind now! YOu might like to look into Art De Vany, his exercise regimen is supposed to be excellent.

P.S. Congratulations on your achievement!

How good is HIIT Alex. I did it once and I have never felt like that, ever. I was routinely running 5 k's a day at the time. Tried the HIIT, did maybe 5 intervals and felt like I was going to vomit.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine was talking about HIIT on the weekend and now I am thinking of giving it a proper go again. Reading your post really put it to the fore of my mind now! YOu might like to look into Art De Vany, his exercise regimen is supposed to be excellent.

P.S. Congratulations on your achievement!

I'll check out that regimen.

Yeah HIIT and sprinting. Nothing quite like it!!!

After a hill sprint session it kind of feels like I've just run a marathon its that intense! You go into it thinking oh 15 minutes is not going to be enough of a workout but let me tell you if you do it right then if you are able to do more than 15 mins your not putting in enough effort and not doing it right! Its that tough! wowee

Atm i'm doing 16 minutes of hill sprints. I've decided to get to 20 minutes and no more than 20 minutes and then I'll gradually reduce the rest periods. I started off by doing 25 second hill sprint, followed by 1 minute walk recovery to bottom of hill. I found that at the end I was just feeling too ill & f*** so I decided to increase my rest period by an extra 20 seconds for now and that is helping. I'd rather start it slowly than keep going with just a minutes rest and dread turning up cos its too hard and give up. This way I work up to it as I get fitter. I tell ya what, i was pretty fit before and now I'm getting even fitter since doing the sprinting.

The other type of training I'm doing is interval type sprints. I do a 20 second all out sprint followed by slow 1 minute jog. This works a slightly different oxygen system, the lactate threshold and my heart rate stays right up there. You dont fully recover. It is a killer. I'm up to 12 minutes. I forced myself to do one more sprint on Saturday and thought I was going to throw up lol.

Anyway... I reckon if you have some base fitness start off just doing it once per week for 2 - 3 weeks before moving up to doing it twice a week. I did this cos I wanted to make sure I didnt overtrain or end up with an injury doing a new activity. In 4 weeks time I'll add in another session making it 3 sessions a week. Woohooo I cant wait. I should be at a good standard fitness by the team preseason footy starts end of January.

There's a great article on HIIT by Shawn Phillips from the now defunct MuscleMedia Magazine (circa 2002), It was the first time I'd read about H.I.I.T but not the last

posted below in part (with link) for your perusal

What if I told you how to lose all your unwanted bodyfat in just two short weeks with little or no effort?

Well, dream on, buddy. It ain't gonna happen. Losing bodyfat takes work. There are no shortcuts or magic pills (yet). But I will let you in on an effective way to lose bodyfat without turning into some automaton that sits on a stationary bicycle for hours on end daydreaming about the things it would rather be doing. (Let's see, was my last date during the Bush administration or the Reagan administration?)

Granted, most of us are not competitive bodybuilders who have to diet for competitions. For some people, this is powerful ammunition to stay in a perpetual "growth phase" 52 weeks a year (i.e., eating lots and lots to hopefully divert some of those nutrients into muscle mass). For others, it's just an excuse to turn into a lard butt.

Try this simple test to determine whether or not you're carrying too much bodyfat. Take off your shirt in the gym. If a group of people suddenly stop what they're doing, fall to the floor, and begin frantically churning out ab crunches, it's a pretty safe bet you're approaching the tubby stage. Wearing long-sleeve baggy shirts and sweat pants to the gym during a 100 degree heat spell is another indication you've spent too long in the bulking phase.

Here's what I'm proposing: commit eight measly weeks of your bodybuilding life to shedding excess fat and see if you don't look and feel a ton better. If you don't like the idea of doing aerobics, I understand your reluctance. I have good news for you. I've discovered a "better way" to burn off that unwanted bodyfat. And it takes only 4 to 15 minutes a day! If you think it's something you can deal with, then try sticking with it, and I bet you'll be wearing tank tops to the gym in no time. After all, the leaner you get, the bigger you look. Before long, people will be accusing you of all kinds of pharmaceutical indiscretions. ("I just know that sum' beech is on somethin'!")

Besides, shedding the excess fat to expose your muscularity is a great way to gauge your progress, sharpen your eating habits, and best of all, stimulate you psychologically so your workouts will improve, and you'll experience a burst in muscle growth!

No Mo Slow-Go Cardio!

I know, I know, you already spend enough time in the gym. Your friends and family, prone to exaggeration, already think you have a little cot in the back of the gym with all your Inspiration photos tacked on the wall. Nonetheless, I'm going to ask you to add aerobic exercise to your workout schedule. Don't worry, though, I'm well aware the prospect of spending an ***-numbing hour on the exercise bicycle is not a pleasant one. Most bodybuilders, myself included, are an action-oriented breed. We can't stand to wait in lines, think FedEx is too damn slow, and have a hell of a time sitting down long enough to write an article.

Our need for high levels of stimulation make the prospect of low-intensity aerobic training almost intolerable. Truth be told, I can force myself to sit on an exercise bike for an hour, but I'd really rather shave my head with a cheese grater! Slow-go cardio training is worse than watching golf on television. I want action. I want a physical challenge! I'm a man, not some fluff-ball, pee-in-the-cedar-chips hamster mindlessly spinning a wheel in a cage.

If you're like most "aerobicizers," you probably haven't noticed too much of a difference. And the prospect of spending even less time is probably puzzling you. After all, we've all got some of that "more-is-better" attitude. Listen, too much aerobics burns muscle! Take a look at the vast majority of women who take aerobics classes after work: do they ever transform their physiques? Rarely.

What we need is a different approach to aerobics—something that keeps us interested, takes only a fraction of the time, and melts off fat more efficiently than low-intensity endurance training. Well, I've got just the program. It's called High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). It's an aerobic training program I specifically designed for bodybuilders. The premise is simple: rather than waste time exercising at a slow pace, hoping the fat melts off before you die of boredom, you alternate intervals of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise with periods of near-maximum effort. (As I mentioned earlier, each session takes no longer than 15 minutes, tops.)

Cont...

here's a link (one of many) to the much cited article in full here

Resources credited to Shawn Phillips Co Owner of EAS

I'll check out that regimen.

Yeah HIIT and sprinting. Nothing quite like it!!!

After a hill sprint session it kind of feels like I've just run a marathon its that intense! You go into it thinking oh 15 minutes is not going to be enough of a workout but let me tell you if you do it right then if you are able to do more than 15 mins your not putting in enough effort and not doing it right! Its that tough! wowee

Atm i'm doing 16 minutes of hill sprints. I've decided to get to 20 minutes and no more than 20 minutes and then I'll gradually reduce the rest periods. I started off by doing 25 second hill sprint, followed by 1 minute walk recovery to bottom of hill. I found that at the end I was just feeling too ill & f*** so I decided to increase my rest period by an extra 20 seconds for now and that is helping. I'd rather start it slowly than keep going with just a minutes rest and dread turning up cos its too hard and give up. This way I work up to it as I get fitter. I tell ya what, i was pretty fit before and now I'm getting even fitter since doing the sprinting.

The other type of training I'm doing is interval type sprints. I do a 20 second all out sprint followed by slow 1 minute jog. This works a slightly different oxygen system, the lactate threshold and my heart rate stays right up there. You dont fully recover. It is a killer. I'm up to 12 minutes. I forced myself to do one more sprint on Saturday and thought I was going to throw up lol.

Anyway... I reckon if you have some base fitness start off just doing it once per week for 2 - 3 weeks before moving up to doing it twice a week. I did this cos I wanted to make sure I didnt overtrain or end up with an injury doing a new activity. In 4 weeks time I'll add in another session making it 3 sessions a week. Woohooo I cant wait. I should be at a good standard fitness by the team preseason footy starts end of January.

Hi Alex,

Intervals and hills sprints are a great form of training, but are not necessarily the best for losing weight/fat if that is your goal.

My background is in exercise physiology and I have trained many people through gyms, as well as high-level athletes and professional footballers.

Best is to combine long-slow (cardio) work with the intervals if you really like them, or look at periodisation if you are getting burnt out with any particular form of exercise. Periodisation is about organising workloads and intensities into training cycles - give your body time to recover.

Last thing you want is an injury that stops you in your tracks and puts you back to square one.
:)

DVW, in my opinion, just eat what you like until you are satisfied.

BUT, you must take up running or bike riding or some other aerobic type exercise. If you live 10km work, start riding a bike to and from work - 5 days a week.

Then, every second day, do a weight training regime. Get a weight training program from the net or just go to a local gym.

In lieu of bike riding you can go to a boxing gym and tell the trainer you want to lose weight. Go to the boxing gym every second day.

The exercising may cost 1K to 2K oer annum, or maybe even a lot less. You may have to dedicate 6 hours per week, but it will be worth it, because you will be fit like you have never been in yor life. The fat will just roll off your body.

Again, this is just my opinion from my experience and dont forget to see a doctor before you start exercising just to make sure everything is OK with your body. Good luck.

Hi Alex,

Intervals and hills sprints are a great form of training, but are not necessarily the best for losing weight/fat if that is your goal.

My background is in exercise physiology and I have trained many people through gyms, as well as high-level athletes and professional footballers.

Best is to combine long-slow (cardio) work with the intervals if you really like them, or look at periodisation if you are getting burnt out with any particular form of exercise. Periodisation is about organising workloads and intensities into training cycles - give your body time to recover.

Last thing you want is an injury that stops you in your tracks and puts you back to square one.
:)

I agree. I do both intervals and also long slow and I regularly change my programs to stop from getting burntout too. I also sometimes combine interval with a very short slow session afterwards.

I also have been listening to my body in that now I give myself a day off if I feel I need it. I only exercise intensely 3/4 times per week and the other sessions are more moderate such as cycling.

I have noticed a huge difference in the past 8 weeks since I have substituted wholegrain bread for brown rice. I just treat myself to a couple of slices of bread on the weekend now. The combo of brown rice, veges and lean meats is helping melt the fat away. Kg's are coming off a bit faster now. yey! I'm nearing the end with a goal of around 58 kg's. 2 more to go :)

Its exciting because I'm starting to actually see some tummy definition now which I've never seen before in my whole life haha! :D

Back