Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

Hi Kim,

I think the rice was used as just one example of a carbohydrate. One could easily replace with a mars bar, a coke, or a packet of lollies. After burn is a valid point.......I'm not a sports physiologist and am unsure if it lasts 24 hr, however along the exercise lines, as well as cardio and endurance activity, some improvement in lean muscle mass by simple resitance exercises will enhance the metabolic rate at rest as well as during activity.

Digestion also burns calories and hence eating low GI and (slowly introduced) fibre dense foods such as more vegetables helps with feeling of fullness as does drinking a glass of water 30 minutes before a meal. Many of us confuse thirst for hunger and over-eat. I know I've been guilty of this.

Quite simply:

Eat less (and food with high nutritional content) and Move more.

These criteria don't work in isolation. There has been some fantastic info in this thread.

Ensure what goes in our mouths is mostly alive food (salad, vegetables, fruits with high water content) and eat less of the dead foods. Minimise white (processed) foods (sic) such as white flour, sugar, etc, that are merely calories with very little nutritional value.

Whilst I have read the following phrase in relation to the US, I reckon it's as equally applicable here.

We are becoming a nation of the over-fed and under-nourished.

Rather than dig our graves with our teeth, we should be mindful of what we put ito our billion dollar bodies ;)

:cool:

Yeah i need to make sure i eat more salads i think! lol before when reading your post about eating veges i remembered i had bought some freshly cut celery and i went and raced to the fridge and grabbed some haha. felt like some!

i wish i liked cooking but i hate it. i have to be careful not to eat too much processed food. I've been buying those frozen weight watcher meals. The last few weeks ive been ordering the lite n easy meals to help with the nights i get home late and dont feel like cooking. I'm hoping these arnt too processed. They seem to be healthy. I've been buying the barbecued chicken and eating the white meat although i have been enjoying the skin (i know, i know its high in fat but its soooo so yummy its hard to throw in the bin) Its a constant challenge... my diet.

Correct me if I'm wrong Kim, but whilst you're right about the run increasing your metabolic rate for the rest of the day - 24hrs would not be correct, nor would it carry on into the next day. Regardless of activity prior, once you're body shuts down (ie. sleep), your metabolic rate comes back down to normal. Hence why it's always a good idea to exercise in the morning as your metabolic rate will have a chance to be higher for a lot longer than if you did your exercise then went to sleep 2hrs later.

I've heard it and read about it.

True that sleeping would tend to lower it down again now that i think about it a bit more, but when you wake up in the morning its at an elevated level, more so than if you hadn't vigorously exercised the day before. I'd have to read up on it again. Its been a while since i was at uni. About ten years now. wow time flys.

The significance of the afterburn effect is highly contentious. If you know of a paper elaborating a scientific consensus stating the % it lifts resting energy expenditure by, and the duration, I am genuinely interested.

Really? I thought it was common knowledge. That the afterburn has the greatest influence. lol i just went and grabbed my old exercise physiology books out. I've run outa time though. Have to go out soon. Will be back tomorrow. :)

i wish i liked cooking but i hate it. i have to be careful not to eat too much processed food. I've been buying those frozen weight watcher meals. The last few weeks ive been ordering the lite n easy meals to help with the nights i get home late and dont feel like cooking. I'm hoping these arnt too processed.

I too HATE cooking... so I don't. :) Have you tried the Heinz SteamFresh veggies you buy from the freezer? They are my best friend! Most nights I just have a bag of those (3 serves per pack which cost about $3.50 so pretty cheap, cheaper than those pre-prepared meals, call me stingy but I couldn't pay for them every night). I know fresh veggies are the best, but if I try that I find I never stick to it as it's too much effort (yes, I'm so lazy I hate even peeling and cutting up a carrot and putting it in a pot) and you have to shop every few days to buy them fresh. So that with a piece of meat (I love my salmon!) does me for dinner. Obviously this wouldn't be ideal for a family but they are great for a single person who hates cooking or has limited time.

I'm trying to lose 3kg at the moment (although I don't need to with a BMI of 18). A colleague at work does the Weight Watchers program, so she's given me a guide to follow. I think it's a good method for someone like me. I know it's as simple as eat healthy and exercise, but I'm lazy and I like having a definitive number to aim for each day. I'm 'allowed' 18 points (which is worked out based on your weight, height, gender, physical activity etc.) and each morning I work out my meal plan for the day to ensure I don't go over the 18. Really opened my eyes as to some things I would think were bad but not SO BAD! For example some of the fast foods contain about 20+ points in a meal, so more than my daily allowance! Funny how I never crave Red Rooster anymore. The Red Rooster chocolate mousse which I've had a few times has about 17 points from memory whereas the Weight Watchers packet one has 3 points (for 2 serves). I've lost just over 1kg since starting this a few weeks ago.

Another thing which helps, I don't buy junk food thinking I'll eat it in moderation. If I'm hungry or bored, I find I will snack. I have poor self control so I simply don't buy it, if it's not there, I can't eat it.

I've never tried the fad diets, high protein, no carbs etc. Your body needs both, so I think it's just all about moderation and cutting out the crap and high sugar/high fat foods. Exercise is important I know and helps, but I can't be bothered to do more than a leisurely stroll along the beach. :(

Steve, perhaps a softer way of making my point is that for a non-competitive athlete (i.e. most people in this thread :)) it's not worth worrying about the small details. (Such as maintaining exact protein / fat / carb ratios or six equally sized meals per day.)

The main point is that you need to create a decent sized (500+) calorie deficit, which can be hard work. Dieting isn't easy, as our bodies don't really like to be starved.

Incidentally, I'm not a bodybuilder by any stretch of the imagination. I need to drop 15 kg myself right now. :(

I do agree with your point about weights being good. And a proper session burns quite a lot of calories.

Biggles/Winston

Isn't a bmi of 18 on the very low end of normal or underweight?

If so Biggles why would you want to lose more?

They tell me being underweight can be as bad for you as being overweight.

Slim:)

Biggles/Winston

Isn't a bmi of 18 on the very low end of normal or underweight?

If so Biggles why would you want to lose more?

They tell me being underweight can be as bad for you as being overweight.

Slim:)

Healthy is 18-25 I believe, and I just want to lose those couple of kilos to get back to what I was a year ago. It's creeped up over the year, and I just don't want it creeping up a few kilos each year and 3kg turns into 15kg. My family are all fairly big, so I'm just conscience of it.

* Underweight = <18.5
* Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
* Overweight = 25-29.9
* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

My normal BMI is 18.7 (and I've been much much lower than that) so I barely squeak in as 'normal'. For obvious reasons it is currently way higher than that, 21ish and climbing.

I still think BMI doesn't mean much. If you're a skinny build, even being way underweight could be perfectly normal, and if you are stocky with lots of muscle you can be 'obese' with hardly any fat on you.

How about Long-time Muscle & Fitness columnist Clarence Bass, author of Ripped and a lawyer and bodybuilding champion?

clarence_bass_bodybuilder.jpg

and at 70

Clarence-70.JPG

Steve, perhaps a softer way of making my point is that for a non-competitive athlete (i.e. most people in this thread :)) it's not worth worrying about the small details. (Such as maintaining exact protein / fat / carb ratios or six equally sized meals per day.)

The main point is that you need to create a decent sized (500+) calorie deficit, which can be hard work. Dieting isn't easy, as our bodies don't really like to be starved.

Incidentally, I'm not a bodybuilder by any stretch of the imagination. I need to drop 15 kg myself right now. :(

I do agree with your point about weights being good. And a proper session burns quite a lot of calories.

That's a good summary, and you're right, for the everyday person that should be sufficient - though perhaps at least 4-5 meals wouldn't hurt. :) But yes, a calorie deficit is the key.

Dieting sucks! The gaining diets are hard enough, but I really struggle with the cutting diet (last time I did it anyway! ;)). I'm carrying too much fat at the moment as well, but at the moment it's not my focus, I'm still in a gaining cycle - which reminds me, almost time to eat again! :rolleyes:

dammmm..... i have shin splints!! :(

I'll have to stick to cycling and swimming for a couple of weeks.

I've managed to lose 2 kg in the past 4 weeks which im very happy about because i havent been on a serious diet. I've just been moderating my eating, eating healthy most of the time. Hopefully i can get back to the running soon.

:)

I just wanted to add that I think its a good idea for those who have "serious" weight issues to get some medical intervention.

My weight has yo-yo'd wildly for the past 20 years, and I've always struggled to keep it under control, even with healthy eating and exercise. I can easily put on 2kg in a week without major changes to my eating.

Last year, I finally "gave up" and went to the Dr to investigate. The first Dr I saw was fairly dismissive, but I persisted and saw a second dr, got blood tests, fasting glucose tolerance test etc. Turns out I have some underlying health issues, which make losing weight far more complex than just "eat less, exercise more".

So, I've been on meds for past 6 mths or so. I can't believe the difference its made. No sugar cravings. No tiredness at 3pm, reduction in appetite etc - overnight changes. I'm only just starting to see a change in my weight, with a new med added fairly recently, but I can certainly notice a change in my general health.

Obviously I still need to eat properly and exercise, but at least now I don't feel like I'm doing it in vain, or that my body is sabotaging my efforts.

Interestingly I also haven't gotten injured since I've started on the meds. Usually, because of a lack of joint stability, I get injured really easily doing exercise.. but nothing for past 6 mths, despite increasing the intensity of exercise.

In terms of exercise, it sounds nerdy, but I'm finding WiiFit really great. It gives good bio-feedback, so I know if I'm putting in the right amount of effort, or have good form. It has plenty of variety, I'm working on balance and tone as well as calorie burning.... and it has just enough competition to keep me interested. Perfect for me!

Pen

The importance of your metabolic rate & weight control

'Why are thin people not fat?'

'Why are thin people not fat?'
by EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 am
Did anyone else see the TV program 'Why are thin people not fat?' on SBS last night? It was great. They took a group of naturally thin people and tried to fatten them up over a series of weeks by getting them to eat far more calories than they normally do.

Two of the group quite simply could not eat the extra calories. They would feel ill if they tried to eat beyond satiation. One guy gained weight but, even though they did no additional exercise, it was almost all muscle. His body instinctively put on muscle to raise his resting metabolic rate to get rid of the unwanted extra calories. The others in the group gained weight but some gained less than others. The researchers postulated that these people may have started unconsciously fidgeting more to burn the calories. Importantly the moment they stopped force feeding themselves all of them quickly went back to their pre-experiment weight.

These thin people only ate what they needed and didn't feel hungry beyond that. The presenter compared this to another study where obese people were monitored and fed exactly the calories they needed to maintain weight. They were still hungry all the time despite the fact that they were getting enough calories for survival.

I get so frustrated when people who have never had a weight problem in their life lecture me on how it's sooooo easy to lose weight. I wish all of those people could have seen this show. If your body is telling you to eat more and gain weight constantly obviously it's going to be a constant battle to stay slim. People who are naturally thin simply don't have this same fight on their hands. This doesn't mean that it's impossible, or a waste of time, to try to maintain a healthy weight. But it does mean that people who are predisposed to weight gain need additional support, encouragement and resources that naturally slim people simply don't require.
Ali

I found this post interesting. I watched this show too when it was on and it explained a lot! When I was heavily into sports and running I was a good weight and every now and then I would go through stages of eating crap like... at times i had a chocolate addiction. The regular exercise really helped me to keep my weight steady, even though during those times i did gain a bit of weight. The exercise stabilized me so that i didnt blow out. I have a family history of predisposition to obesity. My parents are obese.

As soon as i stopped sport and stopped regular exercise i ballooned out. For me it had to do with my metabolic rate. The heavy exercise was the key for me!! Some people dont need to exercise they naturally have high metabolic rates and can eat as much as they want and not put on weight. Some like on this tv show are genetically programmed to eat less and be satisfied and they also have a higher metabolic rate than others who struggle to manage and maintain their weight. They managed to lose the excess weight they put on after the trial ended very quickly.

Exercise and moderate diet are the keys to successful weight loss/management.
For those predisposed to gaining weight easily exercise to increase their metabolic rate is essential for success.

I just wanted to add that I think its a good idea for those who have "serious" weight issues to get some medical intervention.

Last year, I finally "gave up" and went to the Dr to investigate. The first Dr I saw was fairly dismissive, but I persisted and saw a second dr, got blood tests, fasting glucose tolerance test etc. Turns out I have some underlying health issues, which make losing weight far more complex than just "eat less, exercise more".

So, I've been on meds for past 6 mths or so. I can't believe the difference its made. No sugar cravings. No tiredness at 3pm, reduction in appetite etc - overnight changes. I'm only just starting to see a change in my weight, with a new med added fairly recently, but I can certainly notice a change in my general health.

Pen

If you dont mind me asking. What kind of underlyng health problems do you have that effects weight control? Is it thryoid or something? :)

Yeah I agree for some people its not as simple as energy in versus energy out.

Thats cool that your doing better now :)

Hi Penny.

Glad to see you have found something that works.

Do you now have to take the different medications long term? Just wondering if any side effects may have been discussed with doctor.

Regards
Marty

P.S Not trying to put a downer on the use of medications.

Hi Penny.

Glad to see you have found something that works.

Do you now have to take the different medications long term? Just wondering if any side effects may have been discussed with doctor.

Regards
Marty

P.S Not trying to put a downer on the use of medications.

Hi,
I'm on 3 different meds at moment. Two are for chronic conditions, which will probably need to take long term, although dr was looking at possibly reducing dosage of one of them, depending upon result of some tests in a few months. The third is only short term, and reviewing on mth by mth basis.

Dr did discuss possible side effects of all, and coming from a health background, I'm fairly anal about reading up on anything I take..... I haven't had any major negative side effects from any of them at this stage. So, only positives for me at the moment.

The biggest downer of them is that I can't drink any alcohol...... I didn't drink that much before, but its hard going out to nice restaurants and not having something nice to drink.

Pen

If you dont mind me asking. What kind of underlyng health problems do you have that effects weight control? Is it thryoid or something? :)

Yeah I agree for some people its not as simple as energy in versus energy out.

Thats cool that your doing better now :)

Not sure that I feel comfortable divulging the details on a public forum... but it wasn't thyroid.

Pen

Back