Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

Not sure if I've posted in this thread or not already and I can't be bothered to scroll back through and see..

Late last year/early this year, I was 103-105kgs... I hit my goal weight of being U85kgs last week for the Pan Pacifics Brazilian Jiu Jitsu comp held in Melbourne... It's the first time I've been 85kgs in 5 years and also the first time I've competed in 5 years.. just getting down to 85kgs was a huge win alone for me, but to also place after not having competed for so long, I'm pretty stoked.

Anyway, that was my goal I had that motivated me to do it... and I did it by slowly making lifestyle changes that I thought were maintainable... what I mean by this is I would just focus on one thing, e.g. eliminating soft drink, alcohol or chocolate and working on that for a week, 2 weeks, a month.. however long it took until it became a habit and easy to do.. then I would do something else such as drinking lots of water every day, exercising 3-4x a week as a minimum, then moving onto eating a solid breakfast, e.g. oats with skim milk and a banana, adding fish oil into my diet daily, including more fruit & veges, etc. etc.

I've worked hard, but at no point have I really flogged myself or made it so incredibily tough on myself... I'd say it's been rather easy and smooth sailing for the most part.

Bon, looks like we have a very similar menu.
Normally porridge with low fat milk and a banana but cereal every 3rd or 4th day
Big bowl of salad, cooked vegetables for lunch topped with canned fish and egg.
Dinner mostly 95% vegies with a little bit of meat or chicken.

Have stopped all drinks except water and even stopped eating chocolate and I'm a chocoholic. Use to average over $300 a month on chocolate.

Have dropped 8.5kg and still have about another 5kg to go although another 3kg could easily be enough.

Exercise has only been walks with 2yrs 10month old daughter through rice fields and holding her doing squats and different lifting exercises or push ups. Little one weighs 14kg so just the right weight for toning and not bulking up. This week have started to do Billys Boot Camp disk 1 for a bit of extra fun.

Looking forward to being in OZ next week and swimming a few klms each day for about 2 weeks. Won't have any scales to check the weight so will be interesting to see how much I weigh when I get back to Japan. Have concentrated mainly on reducing anything fatty from the diet without feeling like I'm dieting but just eating healthy.

For those that are interested, here is a website I like.

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/

No gyms required! I showed this to Winston once and he told me he thought there was a lot of good info on there. I would equate it to the exercise version of Somersoft. I'm about to start doing the 20 Step Program again, as I have the motivation these days to do it.

As far as diet goes, I loosely follow the Paleo Diet (although I think that's a little inaccurate as it's not really a diet as such). Been doing it for a few weeks and seen some changes already (feel more energetic, not constantly tired and I'm not hungry all the time, even though I eat less).

Makes sense to me - it simple and common sense. I'm not throwing money away on diet clubs and I'm learning how to eat properly and listen to what my body wants. I have a number of friends that follow it, with excellent results.

11 kilos to go

Last night I bought a pair of jeans! I haven't worn jeans in 5 years, cos I've been too big. I was sooooo excited you should've seen me haha :D

How is everyone going during this month of December?

The last few weeks have been very challenging! Lots of morning teas, lunches, christmas parties, family bbq, getting together with friends etc etc. I think I have done pretty well. Most of the time sticking to plan but a couple of times having a little treat.

My goal for December was to try hard to lose somewhere between .2 and half a kilo for the month and I would be ecstatic with that. Actually now that I think about it, if I were to only have maintained or lost a little bit during this month I would be quite satisfied. I have put in so much hard work over the past 9 and a half months I did not want to ruin all my hard work during this long long holiday period. I didnt go to weight watchers and weigh myself last week as I had the day off. I'm off to the gym later and will jump on the scales and see how im doing. I've been upping the exercise too which should help.

I heard something interesting at weight watchers the other week. The leader told us it wasn't uncommon for people to put on 5 or 6 kilos over the christmas/new year period

I heard something interesting at weight watchers the other week. The leader told us it wasn't uncommon for people to put on 5 or 6 kilos over the christmas/new year period

Guilty. I am sure I can get off 2-3kgs in the next couple of weeks though once the gym opens back up and I stop eating so much chocolate :D

Guilty. I am sure I can get off 2-3kgs in the next couple of weeks though once the gym opens back up and I stop eating so much chocolate :D

Why do you need to go to a gym to lose weight?

I can think of;

Swimming
Running
Power walking
Bicycling
Wave ski
Kayaking
Body surfing

To name a few which don't require a gym to lose the weight, and you can still eat all the chocolate you want.

How is everyone going during this month of December?

The last few weeks have been very challenging! Lots of morning teas, lunches, christmas parties, family bbq, getting together with friends etc etc. I think I have done pretty well. Most of the time sticking to plan but a couple of times having a little treat.

My goal for December was to try hard to lose somewhere between .2 and half a kilo for the month and I would be ecstatic with that.

Today I was thrilled to learn that I lost 1.3 kg in the past 2 weeks. :D wow

Overall i lost 2.5 kg in December. I'm stoked

For those that are interested, here is a website I like.

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/

No gyms required! I showed this to Winston once and he told me he thought there was a lot of good info on there. I would equate it to the exercise version of Somersoft. I'm about to start doing the 20 Step Program again, as I have the motivation these days to do it.

As far as diet goes, I loosely follow the Paleo Diet (although I think that's a little inaccurate as it's not really a diet as such). Been doing it for a few weeks and seen some changes already (feel more energetic, not constantly tired and I'm not hungry all the time, even though I eat less).

Makes sense to me - it simple and common sense. I'm not throwing money away on diet clubs and I'm learning how to eat properly and listen to what my body wants. I have a number of friends that follow it, with excellent results.

hi Mark,

You have to sign up to see articles etc on that site; did a search on it without signing up for the 20 Step Program without much joy....what is it?

Today I was thrilled to learn that I lost 1.3 kg in the past 2 weeks. :D wow

Overall i lost 2.5 kg in December. I'm stoked

:D Merry Christmas AND a Happy New Year....GREAT WORK

Tomorrow is the official start of our (gf and I) diet. Lite'n'Easy gets delivered today, we are doing 5 days of lunch and dinner.

Half for diet, half just for convenience. But should be good.

My goal is to lose 15 kg this year, and I (stupidly?) signed up to do a triathlon later this year. So time to get cracking on the fitness!

The plan is to start running, even just for 15 min, daily and to get some light weights to use at home.

Lets see how we go - time to stop stacking on the kilos and unwind the clock!

Ben

Ok! Male, 43yo, 180cm, 96kg and not happy with my body.

I have a busy life with 5 kids and work, so i don't get time to exercise when i get home.

So I am now cycling to work. 44km per day, 220km per week. :D

All I need to do is get the food intake right :rolleyes:

Lets see how i go. I have changed my signature :)

GG

Tomorrow is the official start of our (gf and I) diet. Lite'n'Easy gets delivered today, we are doing 5 days of lunch and dinner.

Half for diet, half just for convenience. But should be good.

My goal is to lose 15 kg this year, and I (stupidly?) signed up to do a triathlon later this year. So time to get cracking on the fitness!

The plan is to start running, even just for 15 min, daily and to get some light weights to use at home.

We just finished up on Lite'n'Easy. By we, I mean I because the other half will never admit it :p

I got sick of not having a real meal (I did the same one as you're doing, so got some actual food but the dinners started getting pretty bland), but it wasn't *that* bad and I did lose some weight too - considering I couldn't excercise I was pretty impressed.

I went off the diet over Christmas, I think I put some weight on but not too much. In a few weeks I get my cam-boot off and then after another 6 weeks I should be allowed to do some light running! For now it will be some walking and I'm going to start working on the upper body. I must say these past 3 months have gone soooo slow, so I can't wait to get back into it!

I got sick of not having a real meal (I did the same one as you're doing, so got some actual food but the dinners started getting pretty bland), but it wasn't *that* bad and I did lose some weight too - considering I couldn't excercise I was pretty impressed.

I went off the diet over Christmas, I think I put some weight on but not too much. In a few weeks I get my cam-boot off and then after another 6 weeks I should be allowed to do some light running! For now it will be some walking and I'm going to start working on the upper body. I must say these past 3 months have gone soooo slow, so I can't wait to get back into it!

Still doing the LnE myself, but only the dinners now. Breakfast no.3 and lunch just consist of tuna with a bit of soylin bread or the cracker & nut mix LnE have which I love (available from my local Foodland in bins). Couldn't see the point in ordering the breakfast and lunches when there was so much I didn't eat and took too much effort while at work.

Dinners I'm still enjoying - so many to choose from and I have my favourites. They also suit my lifestyle due to recent personal life change. I expected to find them bland and boring by now but still going strong - but then I also have 3-4 'normal' meals over the weekend for variety. Weekdays when I have limited time the LnE dinners suit as don't have as much time to sit around and crave - though I also have a bit of chocolate at night to satisfy cravings (anyone else here love Nestle Crunch??!!!)

Weight loss count still around 25kgs as I've given up on the cardio at present, but still losing and going to try and kick that up to reach 27kg and if I'm feeling really strict when I hit that level, maybe try for the ultimate of 32kg which would see me with the 6 pack I've never had. :rolleyes: Ended up making it through the Xmas period and associated slacking with only about a 1/2kg increase - though I maintained workout routine throughout.

Back