Do U Ebay?

mit said:
I sold some things on eBay a few months ago without a hitch. However, I am selling some items now. On one item I have a number of bids. I noticed that 3 of the users were brand new users created on the day that they bid. I know it is pretty easy to create a new username on eBay.

Is this some kind of scam or am I just being paranoid?

If anyone here is paranoid about on-line transactions it's me. :p

I don't think you're being paranoid. I've seen plenty of items for sale that say "only bidders with minimum feedback of 5 positives and no negatives welcome to bid", and similar such things.

It's only natural, in my mind, to protect one's interests. :)

Hi

I think if you limit your bidders to those who have 5 or more positive feedback you are costing yourself lots of money. There are a lot of new users joining eBay everyday and everybody has to start with zero feedback.
These new users will help push up the price of your item, they may be the winner and they may not. I just had a new user (0 feedback) from a regional area who won an item from me for $1550, my highest price before this for the same item was $1175. I haven't got the money yet but he has rung me 3 times already trying to work out how to pay me.

I have found that a great proportion of buyers come from regional/country areas since they can get items delivered which they can't get locally. They also need to spend their money on something.

If a new user doesn't follow through with the purchase just file a non paying bidder claim and get a refund on your listing fees, then relist.

Adrian

And you shouldn't discount people just because they have received negative feedback either.

For example, I recently purchased a computer game from an overseas vendor. Nowhere on his ad did it mention that the game would be a copied version. I had neglected to ask. Anyway, I put on some neutral feedback for him saying that he should tell people if the game is copied. He replied the next day with some very mean remarks and negative feedback for me saying that I was a liar and a number of swear words that I won't repeat. I now think that I have to change my username.

If I had been more careful, I could have worked out who he was and that he was dodgy as he had actually changed his username from one that I already knew to avoid. All very unfortunate.

mit said:
I sold some things on eBay a few months ago without a hitch. However, I am selling some items now. On one item I have a number of bids. I noticed that 3 of the users were brand new users created on the day that they bid. I know it is pretty easy to create a new username on eBay.

Is this some kind of scam or am I just being paranoid?

MIT

I'm wondering how it is possible for someone to rip you off if they are bidding on something you're selling?

If a first time bidder ends up paying the highest price for your item, i though that you'd wait for the funds to be in your account before you posted the article? So how can you lose here? I've heard of people getting ripped off the other way when they send you a damaged product or they don't even send the item.

And for those that do ebay, what is the best recommended way to get payment? Is giving your account number for a direct deposit considered unsafe? If it is, i thought this is the way the Nigerian scams work but not sure how they can take money from your account simply by having your account number.

I buy and sell on eBay and find it to be generally well worthwhile. I have only been disappointed a few times when items have been used when advertised as new without tags. In almost all cases sellers have been particularly helpful if they were at fault and and in the one case where the seller was a bit dodgy I had the item refunded but not the postage. That was my fault anyway from buying from her... I should have guessed she was not the most wonderful seller by the feedback she left for other people (very very nasty!!).

My few selling experiences to date have really surprised me. A beautiful, current-fashion, brand name shirt sold with only one bid at a low price... and the bidder never paid! And other second hand items have sold for far more than I expected. Just goes to show that what you think people want is not necessarily what they want at all. Kind of makes it fun, I think!

As for security issues, I have no qualms about giving people my bank account details. It speeds up the process and has caused me no hassles to date. Perhaps there are risks here but I can't think of any, and further to that, doubt that eBay would allow it if there were significant risks in so many people providing their banking details. Hey, if my credit card details can be nabbed by an employee of a major un-named tollway operator :rolleyes: then what can happen with a few details on eBay that relate to an account with not that much cash in it anyway?? ;)

My understanding of why people don't want zero-feedback bidders bidding on their auctions is that sellers don't like them because they have unrealistic expectations, leave negative feedback without contacting the seller first to resolve issues, don't pay, don't understand 'the rules', or that they might be trying to auction bomb the particular listing (bidding with no intention to pay, usually across many of a seller's auctions). Personally, I think everyone has to start somewhere, and newbies often place high bids, so I have no issues with them.

Interested to read about all of your experiences... there are many bargains to be found!

nomadic said:
I'm wondering how it is possible for someone to rip you off if they are bidding on something you're selling?

If a first time bidder ends up paying the highest price for your item, i though that you'd wait for the funds to be in your account before you posted the article? So how can you lose here? I've heard of people getting ripped off the other way when they send you a damaged product or they don't even send the item.

I thought they might do something like pay me via paypal then accuse me of never sending the item or using a bogus/stolen credit card. I think in these cases Paypal freezes your funds.

Anyway it sounds as if it is just my normal paranoia. Thanks for your responses

MIT

luckyone said:
And you shouldn't discount people just because they have received negative feedback either.
I got neg feedback because I was in the emergency dept and couldn't collect some furniture. All other feeback v positive so I think others can see that I am genuine and that the person was un-necessarily harsh & rude.

luckyone said:
For example, I recently purchased a computer game from an overseas vendor. Nowhere on his ad did it mention that the game would be a copied version.
I bought a DVD from Ebay but won't do that again I don't think. Didn't know it was going to be a chinese language for menus. The movie itself is in English but I am very dubious about any DVD from China being the real deal (I have travelled in China and know pirated DVDs are a big deal). I don't burn DVDs only buy genuine ones for my small collection so wouldn't have bought it if I knew it was of dubious parentage.

However I recently had two very good furniture purchases for my new unit so overall v happy with my ebaying (sellers even delivered to me *queen size wooden colonial style bed frame $167.50 & * two comfy armchairs $25 for the two!). Just made sure I asked lots of q's before bidding. If the person is a bit evasive I give the auction a swerve.

Now I love new zero feedback users.

Recent auction winning bid $1550, already paid in 2 days.
Didn't offer 2nd chance option to underbidder as the winning price was ridiculously high, thought it was somone playing around.
Then the underbidder emails me asking if I had any more available since his connection got cut off and he didn't have the chance to finish bidding.
So I send him a second chance offer at his bid of $1530 and he accepts right away. Both of these bidders are brand new users from out of town areas.
I'm more than satisfied with 400% profit from these nice customers.
I wonder what they will be thinking to themselves when they learn I sold the same item for $850 a week ago! Hope they don't look at my feedback comments or find the completed listings search button.

Adrian

Now I have someone with a rating of -1 bidding :( . This is for non payment. I am not particularly worried, I have clearly said that they must pay in 3 days, So I'll just offer to the second bidder if they don't pay.
MIT

Last edited:
wish-ga said:
I bought a DVD from Ebay but won't do that again I don't think. Didn't know it was going to be a chinese language for menus. The movie itself is in English but I am very dubious about any DVD from China being the real deal (I have travelled in China and know pirated DVDs are a big deal). I don't burn DVDs only buy genuine ones for my small collection so wouldn't have bought it if I knew it was of dubious parentage.

Any thing easily copied, faked, etc should be avoided.

A quick trip to Chinatown markets will show you the same stuff at the same price.

Stuff being resold is best hence the baby stuff. Furniture is also good.

Peter 147

Any thing easily copied, faked, etc should be avoided.

I learned my lesson.

These days I also take a look at what else they are selling. If they have one off items then it is likely it is a genuine re-sale by owner through lack of use/space etc.

Hmmm, never come across a -1 before!

The pressure cleaner I bought off Ebay a couple of weeks ago is working well - too well sometimes - I have removed some paint unintentionally and found it hurts like hell if you run over your own toes with it! The upside is that PPOR is starting to sparkle again in preparation for the valuers visit in the near future...

I have been trying to help a friend in the UK who has $30,000 debt (mostly c/card) at age 26. Amongst a range of things I suggested (including looking into declaring bankruptcy!) was using Ebay to turn stuff lying around the house into cash to pay off debts. I was delighted when he emailed to say that he had raised $2500 from a weekend of selling on Ebay. Right, finally doing something about it. He then proceeded to describe how he had spent the money the same weekend. And he was happy about it!

Duh, I am seriously rethinking this friendship...

Now here's a question - anyone bought/sold real estate on Ebay. I wonder what listing and sellling fees would work out like...

Gordon

I don't have an eBay store and no current auctions, basically out of stock. New container arriving in 5 weeks and another in the process of being ordered.

I am amazed at the exposure eBay can generate.

Adrian

I don't personally, Gordon, but I know a lot of people have one ID for buying and a different ID for selling. That way their potential buyers can't see the original cost of the item they are interested in. In fact, some people have heaps of different IDs for all different purposes.

I think a number of people buy on eBay sites from other countries and then resell on the Australian website.

Gordon Gekko said:
Does anybody buy stuff on Ebay and then resell it on Ebay for a profit ??????

GG

Some people buy items that are poorly described with mis-spelt keywords and re-market them after buying them by using more effective keywords and advertisment wording.

Back