Expensive Private Schools

MTR, Warren Buffett sent his kids to the local public school, they turned out alright.

Personally, if I was you, I'd be encouraging them to leave school as soon as possible and get into a trade. Failing that, get a full time job anywhere that will have them (Macca's, Coles, Red Rooster, etc.) and save like mad, buy their first property as soon as they can and go from there.

By the time they turn 30, if they have maintained focus, they will be financially independent. Formal schooling is a complete waste of time, money and resources.

Agreed. Your experience in high school, the people you meet, the friends you make and your performance there, does shape and influence your future life and career. Hence, they are called the formative years.

This is absolute nonsense. If your high school years shape who you become as an adult, you haven't lived.

Failing that, get a full time job anywhere that will have them (Macca's, Coles, Red Rooster, etc.) and save like mad, buy their first property as soon as they can and go from there.

By the time they turn 30, if they have maintained focus, they will be financially independent. Formal schooling is a complete waste of time, money and resources.

That's ridiculous. It's more worthwhile to work at McDonald's than go to university? I'd be surprised if you could live a reasonable quality of life on a fast food salary, much less save anything of note. Especially considering the ridiculously high cost of living in Australia.

You'd be lucky to get a good amount of hours as an adult anyway, as they have to pay you more. And what's the end game? Work in retail until you retire? I can't think of anything worse personally.

My husband is working in retail (warehouse) until he finishes his medicine degree and is literally counting down the days until he's out of there. Poor working conditions, manipulating of rostered hours and leave entitlements, low level managers on a power trip, poor attitude towards staff (expecting them to risk personal injury so they can save money), etc etc.

When has a degree ever helped anyone get ahead?

Apart from doctors......
How about the bean counters?
Architects?
Engineers?
Lawyers? (well present company excepted)
Economists?
Rocket scientists?
Quantity surveyors?
Research scientists?
Chartered Building professionals?
Industrial or medicinal chemists?
Geologists?
Metallurgists?
Town planners?
Property/land economists?
Development managers?

Never!

(I haven't included the arts or humanities).

That's great. I did an arts degree and I'm making 70k three years into my first FT job.

I'd need to be doing 70 hours+ a week in retail (or pretty much two full time jobs) to get the same money. Yep, what a waste that three years of study was :rolleyes:

That's great. I did an arts degree and I'm making 70k three years into my first FT job.

I'd need to be doing 70 hours+ a week in retail (or pretty much two full time jobs) to get the same money. Yep, what a waste that three years of study was :rolleyes:

I was making 70K when I was 17 and dropped out of year 11.

I was making 70K when I was 17 and dropped out of year 11.

Was that while working at Coles? Didn't think so.

I'm pretty happy with that myself as I really enjoy what I do. I've also got a 20% increase over the three years that I've been here and will be at or close to six figures within another three. Can't complain about that really. :)

Was that while working at Coles? Didn't think so.

I'm pretty happy with that myself as I really enjoy what I do. I've also got a 20% increase over the three years that I've been here and will be at or close to six figures within another three. Can't complain about that really. :)

I have clients who are unskilled with no education beyond secondary earning well over 100k, and clients with bachelors earning 45k.

You choose your path to walk down and make what you make of it. I don't necessarily think that tertiary education is a necessary requirement (or that valuable in many cases). It can be just as much a lag on peoples lives as a boon, depending what you make of it.

I agree but qualifications on average increase earnings. There are exceptions to everything. It also depends on what you're comparing it to. No degree but a trade, own business, working in mining, etc is fine. No degree but working in retail is not so great. You have no bargaining power at all.

I have clients who are unskilled with no education beyond secondary earning well over 100k, and clients with bachelors earning 45k.

You choose your path to walk down and make what you make of it. I don't necessarily think that tertiary education is a necessary requirement (or that valuable in many cases). It can be just as much a lag on peoples lives as a boon, depending what you make of it.

My husband and I are the perfect example. He went to uni, I did not. I earn just shy of $30k more than him.

It comes down to who we are as people. I am very driven and always strive for more and better whereas my other half is happy plodding through life.

For what it is worth, I am currently in a position that it's outlined in the role purpose statement that a degree is a requirement. However I was happy to start at the bottom, prove myself and work hard to get where I am now which took less time than what a degree would have.

I agree but qualifications on average increase earnings. There are exceptions to everything. It also depends on what you're comparing it to. No degree but a trade, own business, working in mining, etc is fine. No degree but working in retail is not so great. You have no bargaining power at all.

True, but it is still a trade off. 3-4 years of your early life studying and accumilating debt vs straight into the workforce earning and saving as fast as possible (which can be quite fast due to most people in the 18-21 yr old age group living at home).

There are just as many people underachieving in university taking useless university degrees, only to be in those same retail jobs.

There are people who are suited for uni and people who are not. Unfortunately it is expected of people now, and many who are no suited go onto uni studies- often with no idea what they want out of life.

I only wanted my daughters to study uni if they really felt it's something they strongly wanted. Ms 25 started at 18 but dropped out quickly- she's now decided on a course she really wants to do and has enrolled herself. Ms 20 is trying hard to get into the workforce, and has just started child care studies- but she has other passions which she will work on when she has a steady job to pay the bills.

I agree with this comment.

That said, I also found that "connections" can also open a lot of doors for you and this i'm wondering if paying through this connection via a private school is worth it.

If i send my child to a public school they might do well or might be average. If i send them to a private school, even if they do average, they know people who's parents are in higher places and that might open doors for them that are otherwise closed to ordinary folk..... do you guys believe in this sentiment? (For what its worth, i went to public schools and i sometimes ponder what opportunities I might have had i went to a private school).

This is absolute nonsense. If your high school years shape who you become as an adult, you haven't lived.

The high school years are also called the formative years. Teenagers who do a lot of drugs, skip school, join gangs, do jail time, generally do not become future prime ministers. As always there are always exceptions to this rule.

When I finished high school there were no highly paid jobs for ratbags from my scrappy working class town! Not going to uni wasn't even an option for me, and it worked very, very well.

That's ridiculous. It's more worthwhile to work at McDonald's than go to university? I'd be surprised if you could live a reasonable quality of life on a fast food salary, much less save anything of note. Especially considering the ridiculously high cost of living in Australia.

You'd be lucky to get a good amount of hours as an adult anyway, as they have to pay you more. And what's the end game? Work in retail until you retire? I can't think of anything worse personally.

cimbom, two points:

1. I passed Year 12 by 1 point and never went to Uni. I work in a profession in which I was paid more than most Uni grads (within 12 months I was making 70K) and have established a business in said industry, which is beginning to grow quite nicely. I anticipate getting to a point where I am making 6 figures within 2 years.

2. If you don't think it's possible to save for and purchase property working a minimum wage job (Macca's, supermarket, etc.) I strongly suggest you message Kristine and tell her that it's not possible.

I agree with this comment.

That said, I also found that "connections" can also open a lot of doors for you and this i'm wondering if paying through this connection via a private school is worth it.

(For what its worth, i went to public schools and i sometimes ponder what opportunities I might have had i went to a private school).

Maybe I will lean on my old school network: O'beids, Di Girolomo, Foley..... just to name a few. I think I would be better off not knowing them :eek:

Teenagers who do a lot of drugs, skip school, join gangs, do jail time, generally do not become future prime ministers. As always there are always exceptions to this rule.

I don't know of too many PM's in the last 30 odd years (probably longer) who didn't have a degree.

Back