Granny Flat - Triangle Block - Need Design Help

If you can get away with the 2m setback then I'd do something like this with the entrance being on the other street and the old 'front' being fenced off. It does look like the villas 3 doors up do have similar setbacks

I've tried to make it so that it has access to private open space.

Excuse the lack of windows - I was just roughing it up

Attachments

• onloop.pdf
    35.4 KB · Views: 129
You must have some errors in your figures- perhaps you've rounded.

Your measurements show a build area of 72sqm, but you've stated 76.329

YES, you must have an good eye for detail...

mmm, ok, so looks like the 'area-auto-calculate' function is using the NON rounded figures, so the area stated IS correct, however the measurements HAVE BEEN ROUNDED TO THE METER

If you can get away with the 2m setback then I'd do something like this with the entrance being on the other street and the old 'front' being fenced off. It does look like the villas 3 doors up do have similar setbacks

I've tried to make it so that it has access to private open space.

Excuse the lack of windows - I was just roughing it up

Thanks thats a nice design,

seems to be a slightly more logical layout than mine probably cheaper/easier to build then my design.....

I quite like the idea of entering from the other side! gives a greater sense of separation....

UPDATE SO FAR.

>It seems we have found some feasible G/F designs that WILL work in a triangle shape.

>However t seems we have not quite reached a consensus about set-backs...
? is 2m ok
? OR is the 2m guide simply 'just a guide' which can be Over-Ruled by what the neighbors set-backs are.

> Also will i breach that other rule about land use? 65% something... How do you calculate this?

NOW any ideas how i can squeeze a carport in here for the G/F! :eek: haha....

> Also will i breach that other rule about land use? 65% something... How do you calculate this?

NOW any ideas how i can squeeze a carport in here for the G/F! :eek: haha....

you will need area of house ( incl any inclosed garages carports or alfrescos probably) plus area of gf as a percentage of total site area. which will give you a plot ratio or percentage of open space to see if it meets councils requirements.

cheers

hehe I had a PM from onlook to answer his question but now that Ive read it all I can say what nek said is spot-on.

You need to be:
1. No closer to the primary road than the next door neighbour(s) within 40m.
2. No closer to the secondary road than either 2 mtrs (if less than 600 sq m); otherwise 3m.
3. At least 1.8m from the main dwelling; otherwise a fire-rated-wall is needed. If any windows are overshadowed and if they're a habitable room (not a bathroom or kitchen), you'll need to install skylights to compensate as well.

I think this block is no-go. I hugely applaud your idea though. Having a second dwelling facing the road is awesome. It creates a virtual 'next door neighbour' without the property purchase expenses.

See attached sample of a sucesfull granny flat approval with the granny flat at the side of the main dwelling. Take note of measurements circled in red and the calculation at the top.

Serge.

Attachments

• granny flat front setbacks.jpg
    granny flat front setbacks.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 184
Back