Mountain Bikes

Sim

Administrator
I don't recall ever seeing a discussion thread about mountain bikes here.

Any other members keen mountain bikers?

Where do you like to ride?

What is your weapon of choice?

Are you an XC whippet? A Downhill psycho? An All-Mountain explorer? A Free-ride flyer? Or just a weekend cruiser?

Was just talking to Waldo yesterday about mountain bikes! Also CJay just bought a 29er...but Ill let him brag about that.

Im a roadie through and through. Wont catch me on a mountain bike. Love going uphill, its the downhill that concerns me!

pinkboy

You Yangs

Sim,

I'm afraid I caught the bug about 18 months when I took my son (age 13) to the You Yangs between Melbourne and Geelong. The lad has also got the fever and wanted to race, so we've joined the Geelong Mountain Bike Club.

We've both got Giant bikes, I've got a full suspension Anthem and the boy has a XTC hardtail.

We mostly ride the You Yangs, that's the closest to home. It's got something for everybody from beginner to experts with more trails being built. We've also been to Lysterfield in the eastern suburbs, Wombat out of Woodend, Forrest, Anglesea, and Smiths Gully. This summer we will take a week and go explore the ski areas, which are now promoting summer mountain biking.

Cheers
Godzilla

Mayb it's as popular as golf on this site, Sim?

I ride my old clunker up and down the Arthurs Seat road once in a while, and that seems like a mountain...does that count? :D

I have a touring bike which will climb mountains.

Thorn Raven Nomad with Rohloff 14 speed IGH. SON dynohub and Supernova E3 triple lights. Serves to commute to work, tow the kids in the trailer, get all the shopping in the panniers and trailer and climb the Andes if that's your thing! :)

I believe in overkill - I never have to worry whether I'm carrying too much stuff! And I never have to worry about charging the light batteries! Love it!

I live only about 6km from the Sydney CBD, but I've found 8 places to go riding (offroad - firetrails and/or singletrack) all within 25 minutes drive from here:

• Lane Cove National Park
  • Hornsby Mountain Bike Park (aka Old Mans Valley)
  • Jubes/Wahroonga
  • Cascades
  • Oxford Falls
  • Red Hill
  • Manly Dam
  • Bantry Bay (coming soon hopefully)

I also like the XC track at Ourimbah State Forest - but that's quite a bit further to drive.

I've done the Oaks trail (Woodford to Glenbrook) in the Blue Mountains, which was a lot of fun - especially the single-track near the end.

There still a heap of tracks around Sydney I've not tried yet.

I was down at Lake Conjola on the south coast on the weekend and found some nice single-track just a short ride from where we were staying - Strava is great for discovering where to ride!

Back at Christmas time, I also discovered a 25km XC loop on Strava that starts only a few hundred metres from my parents' place at the edge of Murray Bridge - I did that loop a couple of times while we were there - was quite fun.

I'm currently riding a 2yo Avanti Montari 29.1 ... cheap 29er hard tail, but I have my eye on the upcoming Specialized StumpJumper FSR Elite 29er, which is being released in Australia early next year.

Umm.. I ride a Suzuki GSXR750, which I often ride in the mountains, that would somewhat count as a "mountain bike - ish" :D

Hi Sim,
Haven't ridden a mountain bike for awhile but do plan to get one.
Priorities first though,road/trail bike is on the cards for early next year.

Cheers Spades.

Strava is great for discovering where to ride!

It sure is!

I ride a fair bit, went a full circle on the MTB from starting out on a fully rigid 26" about 18 years ago, through to a couple of duallies for the last 10 years now back on a hard-tail, (carbon 29er), and love it!

Also ride a bit of road now and again, enjoy it but too many dicks in cars spoil it. You can keep Beach Road, I like to get around the Peninsula or up in the Dandenongs.

Lysterfield Park for the MTB, or Red Hill. I'm on the committee for the Lysterfield District Trail Riders.... www.lysterfieldmtb.com

...but my favorite bike is my CX bike that I converted to flat bar with hydro discs. Awesome fun on the bike paths and still capable on a bit of single track, (keeps you on your toes though!). Used mainly for commute duties but I took it out on a mixed 100k bike path/dirt road/single track ride at the weekend and had a blast..although a bit sore today!

Off to Tasmania in 3 weeks to race the Hellfire Cup, (I say race, I mean drink, eat and roll in toward the back 20%).

Anyone got recommendations on a decent mountain bike?

There are a million different types of bike out there for every type of riding style and terrain.

Where do you ride? (or want to ride)? What is your budget?

I ride a $600 "cheap" bike, but I'm looking to upgrade to a $4,000 bike next year. Most of the guys I ride with have bikes worth $6K - $8K or more.

Hi Sim,
I'll be looking for a bargain with looks and function.
Probably budget 500$.So might go a giant or a gt first off.
Terrain will be bush and next stop lystefield.

I did buy a nice Merida mountain bike a few years back but it was collecting dust.
On sold for a profit.

Cheers Spades.

Last edited:
Im a roadie through and through. Wont catch me on a mountain bike.
No ones perfect mate :cool:

It sure is!
now back on a hard-tail, (carbon 29er), and love it!

Sounds tasty - tell us more!

I'm a bit of an XC person - always had a hard tail, could never seem to get into duallies.

I've lost track of the number of bikes I've had stolen over the years. Mainly from commutes, but I've had atleast one tasty XC bike go walking over the years.

Finally much respect for our crazy brothers over in cyclecross land! :D

Hi Sim,
I'll be looking for a bargain with looks and function.
Probably budget 500$.So might go a giant or a gt first off.
Terrain will be bush and next stop lystefield.

I did buy a nice Merida mountain bike a few years back but it was collecting dust.
On sold for a profit.

Cheers Spades.

Entry level Focus look pretty and seem to be decent quality (I know jack diddly about bikes) and are ~$500.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicy...ighland-peak-disc-24-g/brighton/vic/102296685

Back