Mountain Bikes

Dont get me started on Strava! Ive been touted as a 'Strava Bully', chasing KOMs and throwing too many comments that shouldn't be said. Some cyclists just don't have thick skins! Insects!

pinkboy.....I might start a roadie thread - would be pretty boring though! :p

Dont get me started on Strava! Ive been touted as a 'Strava Bully', chasing KOMs and throwing too many comments that shouldn't be said. Some cyclists just don't have thick skins! Insects!

So ronery?

I'll be looking for a bargain with looks and function.
Probably budget 500$.So might go a giant or a gt first off.

I see a lot of Giants out on the tracks - popular brand. They seem to have standardised on the new 650b (27.5") wheel standard now across their range, although I believe 26ers and 29ers are also available in some models.

I note that Avanti have recently brought out a 650b model too - http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/av250a415/title/avanti-montari-27-0 ... they call it the Montari 27.0 (the dot bit indicates the feature level, with .2 being higher spec than the .1 etc) ... priced below $500.

Avanti are a Kiwi brand - make pretty good value bikes. More well known in road bikes though.

Yes, those roadies are a bit too thin skinned - a bit like the lycra they wear and the tires on their bikes :p

Ride a giant trance dual suspension, hydro discs. Getting a bit dated but it is so comfortable to ride on the real rough stuff. Western Australia has some rough as guts tracks and pea gravel like riding on marbles. Best spot Jarrahdale, purpose built traks in old Alcoa mine, get lost every time. But no riding over summer too many snakes.
Advice for buying bike, get one to custom fit your size, Real good bike guy will set it up for you and go for a decent test ride, if it does not feel comfortable for 10 minutes it will be hell for 2 hour rides.

Used to ride a lot, then went to the darkside - would love to ride again soon especially after having fun with close to 1000 fellow riders on the weekend at Callala / Nowra.

Used to have a nice specialized epic, now have a Merida duallie, would love to get a Steven's (although hubby is next in line for an upgrade)

No ones perfect mate :cool:
Sounds tasty - tell us more!

I'm a bit of an XC person - always had a hard tail, could never seem to get into duallies.

It's a Scott Scale Pro, bought it used from a Scott sponsored racer, it had only done 10 races and he got his new sponsored bike. Got it for a song and was like new!

Got it with intention of using it for long distance rides and keeping the dually for thrashing round the park. After a few weeks I just enjoyed the hard tail more than the dually, and was weirdly faster on all the rough stuff on it too so sold the dually.

It was built very light and I'm a bit unco and like the rough stuff, so I swapped out the wheels for some beefier Easton Havens and put a dropper post on it. You get a few funny looks looks running trail wheels and a dropper on a carbon XC frame, but what the heck, it's fast, strong, light and damned good fun!

So ronery?

Ha ha that is gold.

I am in Toowoomba and am lucky enough to have to ride about 200m to the network of trails on the Toowoomba range. Ride an Anthem and usually do a ride to the bottom of the range and back up about 2 - 3 times a week at present (study getting in the way). If the bigger loop of trails is taken its about 350m of climbing so its not a bad hit out for the morning.

Have a few scars to remember certain "events" but love it, great way to get in nature.

My daily commuter...

The mountain bike will be coming next year, after I get my lowrider cruiser next month.

Attachments

• IMGP8943.jpg
    IMGP8943.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 48
I see a lot of Giants out on the tracks - popular brand. They seem to have standardised on the new 650b (27.5") wheel standard now across their range, although I believe 26ers and 29ers are also available in some models.

This shows what property investing does to a man, I have not looked for N+1 in such a long time that I didn't even know they were making 27.5 in any large numbers.

I'm on a Giant XTC 26'er, 2010 model.

I usually ride Manly Dam or Terry Hills though I have been meaning to hook up with a MTB meetup group to explore some new tracks with other people.

I used to do some XC races a few years ago, Highland Fling etc. I want to get back into that, its a lot of fun.

I usually ride Manly Dam or Terry Hills though I have been meaning to hook up with a MTB meetup group to explore some new tracks with other people.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/sydneymtb/ ... I ride with these guys sometimes - nice bunch of people. Some of them race XC too.

I was going to do the Woodford to Glenbrook classic a couple of months back (would have been my first race ever!), but I got a chest infection I couldn't shake for ages, so I decided not to push it too much.

You should tag along sometime when the guys from the Facebook group head out to Ourimbah ... if you haven't been there before, it's useful to have a guide to show you the main XC loop route the first time ... although if you go there shortly after a race weekend, the route is usually clearly marked still.

I note that Avanti have recently brought out a 650b model too - http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/av250a415/title/avanti-montari-27-0 ... they call it the Montari 27.0 (the dot bit indicates the feature level, with .2 being higher spec than the .1 etc) ... priced below $500.

Avanti are a Kiwi brand - make pretty good value bikes. More well known in road bikes though.

Hi Sim,
No offence but yuk.

This one looks good:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Avanti-B...359805?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item1c381ab97d

By his description,i doubt he's only ridden a 7yr old bike,like 12 times :rolleyes:

Cheers Spades.

You won't be too lonely pinkboy, I'll make a comment occasionally. Tri's aren't my thing but getting out on the roadie suits me fine.

As for riding a MTB, mine's sitting out back slowing having a chemical reaction with the atmosphere. After riding it several times between home & Cammeray, I saw sense and upgraded to a roadie. It halved my travel time and effort required.

Hehe - I wasn't looking for style. It's a very subjective matter anyway - what you like isn't necessarily what I like, so no point me making any recommendations based on style.

Fair enough Sim,horses for courses.

Cheers Spades.

It's a Scott Scale Pro, bought it used from a Scott sponsored racer, it had only done 10 races and he got his new sponsored bike. Got it for a song and was like new!

Got it with intention of using it for long distance rides and keeping the dually for thrashing round the park. After a few weeks I just enjoyed the hard tail more than the dually, and was weirdly faster on all the rough stuff on it too so sold the dually.

It was built very light and I'm a bit unco and like the rough stuff, so I swapped out the wheels for some beefier Easton Havens and put a dropper post on it. You get a few funny looks looks running trail wheels and a dropper on a carbon XC frame, but what the heck, it's fast, strong, light and damned good fun!

Always had a massive crush on the Scott XC bikes. Once I sell a kidney.........;)

Always had a massive crush on the Scott XC bikes. Once I sell a kidney.........;)

It was a heck of a bargain, picked it up for $1,500. Unmarked, like new! I almost snapped his hand off. Just got lucky, saw it online and was the first to call him. By the time I went round that afternoon he said he'd had a heap of calls and could have sold it 6 times over. Once guy wanted to come straight down, take it unseen and offered him more money. Decent bloke though, good to his word and I had first refusal.

I kept in touch with him so he could flick me on his new race bike at the end of that season. A Scott Spark. That was a great buy for someone, I wasn't interested in the end and no one I knew was after one. Shame, as he wanted just under $2k for it and again was almost new.

He races for Scott/Avanti. Free bike each season which he gets to keep/sell on at the end.

Back