Private Schools

I am providing my boys these basic skills here at home and they'll go much further in life with those skills than by knowing pi r squared (can't do the symbol here :) ) or X+Y x C. Who uses that stuff anyway.

LMAO.....um...me....every day. In fact, anyone responsible for anything with a round thing or bit in it, has had to use it. You know, the small irrelevant things like wheels and cogs and clocks and roads and bridges.....you may have seen what happens on the TV recently in the US when you get it wrong....bad stuff usually happens.

Agree with most of your post Kev and had a great laugh over this bit. :)

Agree Daz.

On a farm we are constantly doing pi calculations to work stuff out. Mainly to do with wheels turning, applying stuff. Or building something. Everyday we use up to year 10 maths, but not really the year 11/12 crap.

See ya's.

My wife was a teacher and I have been involved with her schools and my daughter's schools for some time. My earlier career saw me spending years involved with Adult Education and Training.

I think the deciding factor on whether kids do well at school or not is simple.

Do their parents value education?

Parents that don't produce children that show little respect and don't put a lot of effort into their work. Those that do, well their children do well regardless of the school.

Overwhelmingly private school parents do value education - why else would they fund it when the alternative is quite suitable? Nothing inherently bad about Govt schooling.

I remember my Grandma complaining about how the Vietnamese kids were taking all the top places in the HSC one year ... duh? Guess whose parents thought a free and comprehensive education was worth a lot?

Head out to the lower socio economic schools and see the difference. I know this is a gross generalisation and there are plenty of exceptions.

Want your kids to read well? Read to them for fun from a very early age and let them see you reading.

Want your kids to enjoy mathematics? Do it with them from an early age and set them fun problems in the car - let them see you using it in your life. Don't tell them it is crap and useless stuff they will never use. This will come true as they end up in a career where higher maths skills isn't needed.

Overall teach them that education is fun and important and sets the path for the rest of life. We see a Stop/Go sign holder and I joke that he probably wasn't in the A Class at school ( I am such a snob :eek: ). My daughter expressed an interest in being a vet at the age of 5. We didn't laugh but told her that of course she could be a vet.

My wife didn't study medicine until her mid 30's. She grew up on a farm and her parents expected her to become a farmer's wife, a teacher or a nurse. Guess what she became? Took me ages to get the idea that she wasn't smart enough to be a doctor out of her head.

For your kids sake - don't program their minds for mediocrity. You are the single biggest influence of how their lives turn out.

My eldest is on an Academic Scholarship at a private school. She won that because she knew she could!

Last edited:
I think the deciding factor on whether kids do well at school or not is simple.

Do their parents value education?...For your kids sake - don't program their minds for mediocrity. You are the single biggest influence of how their lives turn out.
Simon,

Agree with the whole of that post.
  • Parents are most important influence on kids
  • Kids with the right attitude will do well regardless of school
  • Kids get their attitude from their parents

We went out for a meal last week - the challenge for the kids was to work out what the bill would come to - the kids checked the menu, guessed at the drinks prices, added it up - they got it within $2. It was fun. Simple practical fun stuff gets young brains working.

Cheers Keith

Hey Keith, we do this too - it has become a family tradition! Helps them to realise how expensive it is to take four adults out for a meal!

LMAO.....um...me....every day. In fact, anyone responsible for anything with a round thing or bit in it, has had to use it. You know, the small irrelevant things like wheels and cogs and clocks and roads and bridges.....you may have seen what happens on the TV recently in the US when you get it wrong....bad stuff usually happens.

Agree with most of your post Kev and had a great laugh over this bit. :)

I knew as I wrote it I was opening myself up :D

At least if nothing else I made someone smile :eek:

I have more stories but maybe another day.....

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

You don't want your kids to have it better than you did? I sure do.

Yes I do. But I am not going to upgrade from the Catholic education system to the Grammar education system.

I now have the university education my parents never had and I hope to impart that to my kids as well. I hope to be more actively involved and make learning fun.

The fees are about a 12K p.a. base fee, and we are budgeting another 4 to 5K p.a for all of the other stuff through the year the parents need to contribute for. Five years exposure for each child, leads to a cost of 17 x 5 x 3 = $ 255 K
Don't forget inflation... you can round it up to $300K!

I can see the benefits of both private & public. The main point about any school is the people involved ie the teachers & principal. I depends which teachers you get each each year.
Steve

We've only got 2 more years to go with the last child to educate. Thats 5 x aprox $10,000 per year each.

No wonder I'm tired...thats a lot of work :eek:

and it was all money well spent.

When I think about it, it will only cost me $52 per week for private schooling. The benefits of a smaller classroom, especially for prep, is well worth it. They also teach chinese and a musical instrument as part of the curriculum.

Chinese tuition on saturday would cost $25 alone and same with 1/2 hr piano lessons. It would be perfect if they had professional golf lessons as part of the curriculum too!

Also, it's way cheaper than childcare which is $52 a day!

Its much easier to pay school fees when you've already paid heaps for daycare or a nanny. Must admit though I was fortunate and able to use great local state primary schools up until our last child. He was a little "highly strung" in the classroom and seemed to irritate the teachers he had at the state primary school he attended. We transferred him to his older brothers private school in year 4 to give him a better chance at succeeding. It worked!

Mind you, it still took us until he was 13 before we realised he had learning difficulties. Now diagnosed and treated he is doing very well and will go to Uni as he wants. I think if he'd stayed in the environment where he was considered disruptive, he would have ended up hating school and not attending.

Its much easier to pay school fees when you've already paid heaps for daycare or a nanny.

Yes, it is exactly for that reason that it is easier to pay HECS fees for Uni when you have sent a child through private schools for secondary education!

I keep forgetting there a few uni students in my house still costing us a fair bit. Do you think I'm in denial??? :)

My 2 cents worth....
Everyone owes it to themselves and the rest of us to always strive to be all that they can. If we don't, then Darwinian natural selection will kick in, and eventually deselect our culture.

If you believe distribution of intelligence can be represented on an inverted U curve, then there will always be enough people of lower and middling intelligence to go around and do all the middling jobs.

What there will always be a shortage of is people at the right hand end of the inverted U curve.

Therefore, I believe it is imperative that we all strive to get the best education we can, and then apply it to benefit self and others.

Besides, what better use can money be put to, than education????? I know not of one.....apart from improving the provision of goods and services.....and that most always depends on better education.

Truly, the trickle down effect is never more stronger than for a good education applied to someone brought up with strong character.

We decided to send our son to a private school this year(Year 7)

There is not a moment that I have ever regretted our decision.

We have encountered openly hostility by other parents that only snobs, bullies, little robots, smart kids etc are allowed in this particular school.

Talk about gross generalisations concerning innocent children.

Mrs Bird:)

We decided to send our son to a private school this year(Year 7)

There is not a moment that I have ever regretted our decision.

We have encountered openly hostility by other parents that only snobs, bullies, little robots, smart kids etc are allowed in this particular school.

Talk about gross generalisations concerning innocent children.

Mrs Bird:)

This is an interesting discussion. I am a teacher at a Private School, and I find the majority of students to be down to earth and very pleasant. In many cases their parents are working very hard to send them there, and in most cases the children realize and appreciate this!

Great decision Mrs Bird,

I hope your son enjoys his time at school.

Regards Jason.

This is an interesting discussion. I am a teacher at a Private School, and I find the majority of students to be down to earth and very pleasant. In many cases their parents are working very hard to send them there, and in most cases the children realize and appreciate this!

Great decision Mrs Bird,

I hope your son enjoys his time at school.

Regards Jason.

Hi Jingo, Thanks for your kind words and we hope he will enjoy his school years as well.

Mrs B:)

Back