Qld Election

Maybe a lot of people did not see or notice,when the new leader of Qld was giving her winning speeches,the high end union people standing in the background and walking past with big smiles on their faces,no different from comparing well kept zoo animals to those in the bush wilderness..

And this is exactly the problem! Made me want to dry reach

I think that type of opposition campaigning (the Abbott model) will have to change, because the electorate won't stand for broken promises. Look at Gillard, Can-Do and the predicament the Abbott government is in.

the party that will introduce a law making it illegal to break election promises, with no ifs or buts, will have my full support at election.

make MPs responsible, stripping any perks from them if they have back flipped on their election promises. there is no reason tax payers should continue paying to MPs if they haven't delivered.

I agree, and add to that a law that has a jail sentence for any govt minister(s) that cook the books , the very basis of promises made by an opposition, before an election is held.

That way, promises are more likely able to be upheld as the information supplied can be relied upon.

Fair enough?

5971398-3x2-340x227.jpg

Never say never in Qld,Ms Hanson may well have a seat waiting for her, and it looks like it's maybe going to be a hung parliament,and as a redhead myself till it all went grey I hope this Lady wins..

the party that will introduce a law making it illegal to break election promises, with no ifs or buts, will have my full support at election.

Seriously? That person by definition would be a fool without the courage to lead. Lots can happen in 3 years. Let them do what they feel is right under changing circumstance , that's what they are paid for. We get to then make a choice at the end of their term.

Seriously? That person by definition would be a fool without the courage to lead. Lots can happen in 3 years. Let them do what they feel is right under changing circumstance , that's what they are paid for. We get to then make a choice at the end of their term.

i want to see people who are proactive, not reactive. who have a clear vision for where they are leading the country, not just reacting to the changing circumstances.

we elect them on the basis of their promises, if they turn around after they get into the office an say 'oh circumstances changed' then they shouldn't be in the office cause we clearly elected them for different circumstances.

we elect them on the basis of their promises, if they turn around after they get into the office an say 'oh circumstances changed' then they shouldn't be in the office cause we clearly elected them for different circumstances.

But circumstances do change. Do you keep doing the same thing when circumstances change?

However, it's rare that circumstances change enough to warrant a turn around.

If Labor can't form a majority govt then either party will form a minority govt - which ever side it is. The first broken promise. Neither would call another election as they promised to do under those circumstances if they get power.

Rule - "The doctor lies"

ofc they change. but when they do so much as to affect the election promises of the chosen party, then we need to have another election to see who is more suitable to run the country in the new circumstances.

we just need to change elections to an online vote, so they don't cost much, and prevent parties from using our tax money for their campaigns.

Agree.

Lots of things can happen to an economy in 3 years - hell; even 18 months..

We are too hard on these people; if I was the PM, I would hope I would make any election promises in good faith to pursue and install - assuming I thought they were for the greater good etc, and able to be implemented in a reasonable time-frame.

But, the Senate might knock it back (and they do), or a world war might happen, or whatever; so a rethink is required to get at least a partial win in that particular issue.

It is not possible to be completely black and white with promises - unless they start off with saying they will definitely NOT do something, then turn around and do it later (ie; Carbon Tax with Julia).

make MPs responsible, stripping any perks from them if they have back flipped on their election promises. there is no reason tax payers should continue paying to MPs if they haven't delivered.
Better still; don't allow any Election candidates make any pre-election promises.

Just outline a plan (based on Party ideologies) and issues they will endeavor to improve/review/reform etc.

Then, let's all go away and leave them to it and do a scoreboard check at the next Election - no runs on the board; yer out and new lot come in.

Runs on the board? - "Good; keep on going for another 3 years, boys and girls. See ya at the next Election for a further report. Update us along the way if you wish. Cheers."

I mean; we should all know by now that every Party breaks promises, so why even listen to one and treat as a gospel before they get a foot in the door? :rolleyes:

i want to see people who are proactive, not reactive. who have a clear vision for where they are leading the country, not just reacting to the changing circumstances.

But the politicians can't afford to live in that fantasy land. Their job is to lead which necessarily means changing course in the face of changing circumstances.

So do you think the LNP in Qld, should they somehow scrape together a minority government, push on with asset leases?

The lesson here is you treat the electorate like adults. You don't tell them, for example, the night before the election that there will be "no cuts to education, no cuts to health, etc etc", then go and do exactly the opposite. ...

That said, Robert Doyle said that if he got elected as Lord Mayor of Melbourne he'd reopen Swanston Street to private cars. He got elected and did the opposite. Taken to task for this on an ABC774 phone in, his response was something like "I listened to the arguments from the experts as to why I was wrong, was persuaded by them, changed my mind and don't apologise for doing so". He'll get my vote next time. I much prefer this to sticking blindly to a course of action regardless of advice given and changing circumstances.

But a question mark still hangs over the final result of Ferny Grove after the Electoral Commission of Queensland admitted the Palmer United candidate had been found to be an undischarged bankrupt and therefore, should not have been permitted to run for office.

The matter has been referred to Crown Law but could potentially end in the electorate heading back to the polls if the Court of Disputed Returns finds the PUP votes and preferences influenced the seat's outcome.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/labor-had-secret-plan-to-govern-20150203-1355wi.html
Quoted text doesn't count towards the ten character min.

That said, Robert Doyle said that if he got elected as Lord Mayor of Melbourne he'd reopen Swanston Street to private cars. He got elected and did the opposite. Taken to task for this on an ABC774 phone in, his response was something like "I listened to the arguments from the experts as to why I was wrong, was persuaded by them, changed my mind and don't apologise for doing so". He'll get my vote next time. I much prefer this to sticking blindly to a course of action regardless of advice given and changing circumstances.
that's an interesting one.

why would you prefer someone who didn't get the advice of experts upfront and then turned around on his promise to someone who did get advice and didn't promise something that he knew didn't make much sense?

Well this is going to be interesting. Will a by-election show the people over reached in their Campbell Newman protest vote?

How does a person with a long criminal history and such a dubious past become a sitting state Labor MP, its all a little grubby and disappointing. Is this the best Qld state politics can offer?

How does a person with a long criminal history and such a dubious past become a sitting state Labor MP, its all a little grubby and disappointing. Is this the best Qld state politics can offer?

He was preselected by the federal ALP at the last election too. Astounding.

Criminal record gets wiped after a certain time. Not my area so don't quote me but from memory

If jailed < 3 years and then no custodial for 10 years following it is all gone

Criminal record gets wiped after a certain time. Not my area so don't quote me but from memory

If jailed < 3 years and then no custodial for 10 years following it is all gone

If that's the case it's setting the bar way too low, especially with a record that long, Its longer than your typical grocery shopping list.

Back