Rewards credit cards for flights

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest the best credit card rewards programme to get maximum frequent flyer points?

Thanks.

I think Amex are still the best pointws per dollar, but good luck finding anywhere that will accept the card.

We don't, and nowhere I've ever worked has.

The reason is Amex are still trying to sting the Vendor around 5% I think for each transaction, whereas Visa and Mastercard etc are down to below 1%.

The problem with V and M is trying to get flights using the points these days.

We gave up long ago; opting now to use our points as a credit amount towards the cost of each flight.

Not quite as good, but it's still a saving.

Personally I have lost interest in the Frequent flyer points and have been working on accumulating points for vouchers/cash. The average seems to be about 160 points accumulated = $1.

A great little credit card rewards scheme is one run by Queensland Country Credit Union.

http://www.qccu.com.au/credit-cards

Each $1 spent on the credit card = 1 point, and 150 points = $1 in value. But the best part is, the points can be used anywhere that accepts dr/cr cards. Don't have to stick to the loyalty program partners. You can find the item you want in the shop, negotiate the price down, and pay using the points on the rewarder card.

OSS

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest the best credit card rewards programme to get maximum frequent flyer points?

Thanks.

I use Westpac Visa Altitude (1 Point per dollar) and Amex (2 Points per dollar),

http://altituderewards.com.au/public/earn_category.aspx?deptid=6199

I have been using this card for approx 4 years and although I get a National credit card for free with my portfolio package it is approx only half the rewards.Waste of time compared to Westpac.

So far this card has only ever costs me the $150 per year,as long as you pay it before the due period.

The bank pays me an average of $42 per week to use their card.This can be converted into cash gift vouchers at Bunnings ,Harvey Norman,also many other shops.You can also book flights directly online.

I love it, we buy so much stuff for free,fans,lights,tools,computers,:D

I'm the same. We have Westpac VISA. Costs $75 a year but get hundreds of dollars in store cards each year. I pay it off each month so no other costs.

I've got a Nab Velocity card. Visa, I think. Came with a free Amex (tied to the same account) to use wherever it's taken so that helps build the points; I'm usually racking up something close to about 10,000 a month or so.

I don't like to redeem them for flights, though - those are tax deductible :D. So, I'll end up either hoarding them for awhile and / or converting them to store cards etc to spend on something that I can't claim anyway (wait, what?).

I use CBA Platinum card (Visa or MC) which has worked well as you receive 1 point for every $1 spent on the card. Though I think they're altering this slightly now that CBA are bringing in AMEX cards as well - using the AMEX I think will get you 2 points for every $1 spent.

Only catch is they only allow you to earn 150,000 points on the card per calendar year, so over that you'll need to get a second card. Mine is a Visa but I won't be switching to AMEX as all my suppliers charge extra % if I pay by AMEX which would be quite a whack.

Bayview, AMEX were charging me around 3.3% from memory. I called them up and said 'enough's enough' and they either reduce my fee or I start charging their card users a surcharge. They agreed to drop my rate to 1.x% (I forget exact figure) if I agreed not to charge their users a surcharge. It's still around double the cut that Visa/MC take from me, but I can tolerate it.

*sigh* gone are the days when people use the Savings/Cheque button and it only costs me a flat 20c per transaction regardless of purchase $$.

I used Westpac Earth cards up until last month, I had a platinum and that got me 10,000FF points for joining and 3 points per $1 spent on Amex and 2 points per $1 on MC. Found most major places accepted Amex if you asked. Put the costs of the last reno on the card and just checked QANTAS site and that's a free flight to LA/Jburg/SanFran! Also saw that Myer $100 vouchers are 13,500 points at the moment. Not too bad if you were using the card for normal day-to-day things and getting points that way. It was around $350 a year to use.

The best card depends on what your monthly spend is.

If it's high (i.e. over $5k), you're probably better off with one of those $300pa Platinum cards. The Visa/MC & AMEX combo accounts are the best, and I find practically all of the big guys take AMEX no worries (Coles / Safeway / Petrol / Myer / DJs / Most bills etc). Most of the small businesses won't for reasons described above.

I have a free Gold Qantas Visa / AMEX combo card set with NAB with my home loan. Have to say thought they're not really that great, and that's even with booking a whole heap of business expenses to it (currently $8k per month).

When spent on a flight a QFF point is worth around 1.6 cents, when spent on a voucher a point is worth around 0.7 cents. Not worth changing my shopping habits for that, but something to get, forget about and build up in the background with your regular shopping.

If you want to get fancy do checkout that frequent flyer forum and the American Airlines Challenge programs.

From time to time an awesome card does come out, apparantly that old Woolworths one was really good but it's discontinued.

I use CBA Platinum card (Visa or MC) which has worked well as you receive 1 point for every $1 spent on the card. Though I think they're altering this slightly now that CBA are bringing in AMEX cards as well - using the AMEX I think will get you 2 points for every $1 spent.
I am using the CBA platinum as well... Amex currently giving 4 points per $ spend (first $5k) then drops back to 3 points. Well worth the $250 annual fee. With the Woolies EDR card, I am getting 5 points per $ spend there. Currently all going into Qantas but will look at the CommAwards program after February as QFF points are being halved.

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/credit-cards/expect-more/benefits-of-two-cards.aspx

I am using the CBA platinum as well... Amex currently giving 4 points per $ spend (first $5k) then drops back to 3 points. Well worth the $250 annual fee. With the Woolies EDR card, I am getting 5 points per $ spend there. Currently all going into Qantas but will look at the CommAwards program after February as QFF points are being halved.

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/credit-cards/expect-more/benefits-of-two-cards.aspx

Yeah got my head around it last week after being reminded by this thread. Without switching to AMEX I'll be cut back from a max. of 150,000 FF points per year to 60,000 which sucks a bit. Will probably just open a second Visa/MC Platinum card next year when I reach the cap.

Hi JIT,

Qantas FF is great, as you seem to get a lot of bonus points depending on where you shop or travel. I have bought reno goods with it in the past so this can boost your points pretty quickly! And the fee is only $55 pa if you have the pro package with ANZ.

Tarah

Back