Schapelle Corby - Guilty or not ?

markpatric said:
Guilty because she was found guilty?.
If she did it she`s guilty, if she didn`t, she`s not, either outcome is entirely possible imo. ;)

Don't forget the evidence.

In this their standard of proof is the same as ours.

Penalty is the only difference and all travellers are made aware of the risks.

I would guess that many perpetrators could easily qualify for the Darwin Awards.

The only person who truely knows if she is guilty is her. You can do little but support the law under such circumstances and hope truth prevails.

Corsa said:
those responsible for the first Bali Bombing have now been released from Jail
Yes, I think things are getting rather out of proportion when mass murder is considered less of a crime than possession of a bit of pot.

GP

Yes, it is worrying how those involved in the killing of innocent Indonesians and Australians merely serve a few years in prison and get released. I do realise that they would have had a good defence, but that doesn't change the fact that ~202 people were murdered.

For this reason, Indonesia will never get my tourism dollars. I have no interest in their country — there are better and safer places to visit.

Mary said:
I think you'll find that the Bali bombers are on death row.

THE MAIN BALI BOMBERS ARE ON DEATH ROW.

For some reason most people think the bali bombers got 3 years in prison - i'm not sure why? Perhaps the media are to blame?

Abu Bakar Bashir = guilty of conspiracy over the 2002 attacks in Bali. He was sentenced to two and a half years imprisonment.

Amrozi bin Haji Nurhasyim = death sentence.

Imam Samudra = death sentence.

Ali Imron = life sentence.

Mukhlas = death sentence.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Bali_terrorist_bombing

think about it

this is my first post here, after investing & long time lurking - not to do with investing, like this thread - can't help responding because I feel strongly

Who wins and who loses through capital punishment ? Schapple C is facing 20 years plus in some asian **** hole - whereas that Van Nyeun or whatever is name is faced a quick and relatively painless death. Hopefully he is now in his version of heaven (or hell ?). Meanwile, his friends and family grief his passing. Who suffered the most there ? Schapple is still alive, if you can call living under those circumstances for the next 2o years living, so she and her loved one's suffer, just like Van Nyuen's family lives with their loss every day, forever until they die.

I know it's morbid, but what punishment would you choose ?

1.Death by whatever the government of time time thought appropriate.
2. Spend the rest of your life in some ****hole prison

regards,

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever said:
this is my first post here, after investing & long time lurking - not to do with investing, like this thread - can't help responding because I feel strongly

Who wins and who loses through capital punishment ? Schapple C is facing 20 years plus in some asian **** hole - whereas that Van Nyeun or whatever is name is faced a quick and relatively painless death. Hopefully he is now in his version of heaven (or hell ?). Meanwile, his friends and family grief his passing. Who suffered the most there ? Schapple is still alive, if you can call living under those circumstances for the next 2o years living, so she and her loved one's suffer, just like Van Nyuen's family lives with their loss every day, forever until they die.

regards,

Paul

Gosh what a confusing mix of ideas, half-truths, falsehoods and beliefs.. I'd choose 20 years in a prison over the death penalty.

Whatever said:

Would go the 20 years. Especially if I knew I was innocent. Hopefully during that time, some new evidence may come to light, or some sort of appeal may reduce my sentence. When the lights are out forever, well, there's no hope is there.

kissfan said:
Would go the 20 years. Especially if I knew I was innocent. Hopefully during that time, some new evidence may come to light, or some sort of appeal may reduce my sentence. When the lights are out forever, well, there's no hope is there.

..doh...! didn't think about it in that way, yes I suppose if I was innocent I would choose the 20 years for the same reasons, but it would be tough going in Thai/Indonesian jails. They don't sound like the "Long Bay Hiltons"' we have here. Otherwise.. I would still choose the bullet, I'm gone, family gets over it and goes on, instead of seeing me rot away for 20 years. Sorry to be so black, but the Corby case coming up again started my wife and I talking again on the ""If I'm in a serious accident, don't keep me alive artificially - turn the machine off" topic

I admit I probably do have some warped idea's that Duncan alluded to, maybe because I recently watched Life of Brian for about the 400th time.

"Crucifixion ? crucifixion... you lucky, lucky b*st**d, you must be Caesar's littlë pet, what I wouldn't give to be crucified...""

Anyway, rambling off topic.. over and out and sorry about the language in my previous post

Hi All

As I see it most Aussies only doubt Schapelle’s guilty status because it was Indonesia that tried her.

Not the facts, whatever they are, not the system, whatever it is. Most of us don’t know them other than what is reported via the media and if we apply our IP knowledge to what we read about the Property Market!!! then we know the media gets it wrong.

Simply put, we feel Indonesia is inferior to Australia (a first world country) so therefore one of "us" should be given the benefit of the doubt. That the gist of the genral masses doubt.

However…..

I remember an academic on TV who expertly countering this case by stating a Japanese tourist had been caught in Aus with the same deal.

She claimed the Drugs were not hers. :eek:

She was tried in Aus and guess what..... :confused:

She was found guilty as well. :mad:

Strangly the law finds actual facts to be compelling. :rolleyes:

The fact Indonesia has terrible jails is beside they point. If you don’t like poor conditions or the dealth penalty import drugs from the USA or Europe.

On the matter of her half brother, you cannot say because he is X she is X but as I understand she was with him when caught it all appears too coincidental.

As for comparing with the Lesley case, she had 3 tablets on her. Clearly and even in Indonesia she was not a dealer or a very successful one down to her last pills. 4.5kg of dope is obviously for profit.

So we come to the Bali 9. Heroin is hard drugs in any Country. If we let them off for being ignorant, we need to let half the prison population out because they came from poor backgrounds, bad luck, low IQ, etc….

And in closing, ask yourself this…..

DO you think the jailing of Scapelle and the possible execution of the Bali 9 has in anyway made person also considering the same crimes to think twice? :confused:

You bet it has! Thus the punishment is acting as a deterrent.

Regards, Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
I remember an academic on TV who expertly countering this case by stating a Japanese tourist had been caught in Aus with the same deal.

She claimed the Drugs were not hers. :eek:

She was tried in Aus and guess what..... :confused:

She was found guilty as well. :mad:

Strangly the law finds actual facts to be compelling. :rolleyes:

Chika Honda : Wikipedia

duncan_m said:

Thanks Duncan.

I dont know if this is the case he was referring to but I think so.

Just like Corby it got huge coverage in Japan and little here.

From a quick read She seems more innocent and is still in jail.

The only thing I can say is in the Schapelle Case as claimed, if drug smuggling is going on all the time via airports you would think more cases would come to light?

Unless the entire system of baggage handlers is on the take it would appear to me be very hard to find the right bag on the right flight at the right time and get drugs out in front of workmates without being seen.

I mean most black cases on wheels all look the same when you are looking for yours.

Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
Unless the entire system of baggage handlers is on the take it would appear to me be very hard to find the right bag on the right flight at the right time and get drugs out in front of workmates without being seen.

Yes, especially difficult given that Schapelles drugs were also in a very large, clear plastic bag, even harder to sneak past fellow baggage handlers..... funny how the size of the bag seemed to match her boogy board bag so well..

DO you think the jailing of Scapelle and the possible execution of the Bali 9 has in anyway made person also considering the same crimes to think twice?

You bet it has! Thus the punishment is acting as a deterrent.

I guess the death and supposed lesson from Barlow and Chambers has been forgotton then...

buzzlightyear said:
I guess the death and supposed lesson from Barlow and Chambers has been forgotton then...

Yes, despite only 20 years and a controversial docudrama in 1988.
Funny how poor impulse control and a drive for living on the edge dulls the memory. That is if you have a memory. Schapelle was only 7 at the time, and the Bali 9 hardly out of the womb. Though the death sentence signs at the airport might have been more easily remembered by anyone able to read.

At least Mark Latham remembered the patronizing uselessness of Bob Hawke's ranting that Malaysia is barbaric.

I can't help but feel some of us are getting as numb and dumb and self obsessed as many claim the USA are in relation to foreign policy, when we try and take the moral high ground about our developing neighbour's affairs. Developing nations deserve the right (and understanding) to evolve through the same processes that developed countries did. Anyone naive enough not to get that, shouldn't travel in the developing world. Just as a traveller shouldn't expect western utilities and comfort in developing nations, they shouldn't expect western justice systems. When leaving Aussie shores, it's bigotted and imperialist to expect Aussie 'fair goes' for being a 'bit of a larrikin'.

Travellers who think all developing nations are full of smiling friendly happy little fellas living in thatched houses and going about idyllic lives are very much living a dumbed down celluloid fantasy, and thereby give themselves a Darwinian 'survival in the real world' disadvantage.

If Aussie progressives think the USA is small minded and imperialist for trying to impose their values on the world, then so are those same Aussie progressives who narrow mindedly believe developing nations shouldn't be allowed their own values.

Last edited:
Back