So sad

Well said.......I am sooo...sick of tight arses....

I don't mind saving...but to got to an extreme....shows a very state of mind. Most people don't like tight arses...as they also display other poor behaviours which do not endear people to them.

Being able to be generous and forgiving is one of the greatest gifts! Having said that...being frivilious without limits is also not a good thing. A balance in life is always good!

I second that, being a tight *** is no fun, did that once, never again.... got to have a bit of fun in life...

$30 is ridiculous for food each week. You certainly cant get any fresh food unless all you eat is rice and bread. Why bother living ?

Today is the last day of my holidays. I've been on leave from my day job for the past two weeks and I just don't want to go back :(. The more passionate I become about investing, and building, and renovating (I feel like I can talk about it all day) the harder it becomes.

The last two weeks have been awesome. I haven't run away to some exotic tropical paradise but have been painting our new house, writing and hanging out on this forum. I've had so much fun. They say all good things must come to an end but why do they have to?

Sorry, I'm just having a whine because I feel that Somersoft is a safe environment and if anyone is going to understand it will be you guys.

I'm similar to you, planning to exit the paid workforce in a couple of years after my developments have paid off. Can't wait.:) Anyone have the remote to fast forward a couple of years?

$30 is ridiculous for food each week. You certainly cant get any fresh food unless all you eat is rice and bread. Why bother living ?

Don't know where you shop at but we have lots of fresh fruit and veggies (I hate can and frozen)
carrots,lettuce,tomatoes,broccoli,onions,potatoes
kiwi,oranges,strawberries,lemons,

Yes, $30 for 2 would be restrictive, but $50 isn't.

All in the mindset people.
You see it as torture..we find the bargains fun.

Not everything has to cost a lot. Taking the dogs today to Golden Beach was great. Didn't cost a cent. Saw a shipwreck.

Should see us when all the stuff is at the curbside for collection (we call it spring cleanup)...get all kinds of great stuff.

kerbside collections, I can fix anything,
specially when those with the opposite mindset throw away a $700 washing machine for a 50c fuse

I myself,drive by hard rubbish and see $$$ signs but there is 1 thing i won't scrimp on and that's food,healthy food.You got to draw the line somewhere,fair dinkum!

I myself,drive by hard rubbish and see $$$ signs but there is 1 thing i won't scrimp on and that's food,healthy food.You got to draw the line somewhere,fair dinkum!

Does healthy mean expensive?
Organic?
As an example, what did you have for supper/dinner tonight?
We had lasagna,salad,garlic bread...cake with lemon sauce (both made from scratch) for dessert.

People say healthy all the time, and I truly want to know what their definition is.

Today is the last day of my holidays. I've been on leave from my day job for the past two weeks and I just don't want to go back :(. The more passionate I become about investing, and building, and renovating (I feel like I can talk about it all day) the harder it becomes.

The last two weeks have been awesome. I haven't run away to some exotic tropical paradise but have been painting our new house, writing and hanging out on this forum. I've had so much fun. They say all good things must come to an end but why do they have to?

Sorry, I'm just having a whine because I feel that Somersoft is a safe environment and if anyone is going to understand it will be you guys.

If there's another ss meet-up in Canberra anytime soon you should drop by. It's nice to talk cr*p about property with like minded people once in a while.

Cheers

Jamie

I spend $50 p.w. Just on buying lunches + $15 on coffees.

For a bit of fun I propose we do a $50 challenge for a week (for 2), and see how we do starting this Sunday 30 Oct - 5 Nov. It has to be healthy.

What do you think?

Yeah I think $50 would be a great challenge.. I will attempt it too. Prices aren't cheap where I live - $8 a kilo for tomatoes on some weeks! I normally spend $200 p/w on food and a little drink... but I eat out a lot because I enjoy spending time with friends/family. I will stop for a week though! May have to go to Aldi for the first time in my life :eek:

As a suggestion, do not have a grocery list when you go (we never do)
We allow the sales and reduced foods dictate what our meal plan will be, and work around it.

If brocolli is a loss leader at 99c, you buy this instead of the cauliflower you considered buying at 2.49
You buy the reduced chicken at $5 instead of pork loin. Boil the carcass at the end, and make wonderful chicken soup.

Look in the prepared foods..lasagna for example.
It was originally $12..then $9.60..then $5.00 ..it was delicious.

If you want a pancake recipe let me know.

I do this too (not to Kathryn's extent!) I actually got 200g of smoked salmon for $3 so we are having that with pearl cous cous, lime (from my tree) and dill (from the garden) as a side dish tonight.

OP , just use your love of renovating to drive you in your day job. Use that desire to maybe move you up and onwards to higher and higher pay.

liked you blog.:D

I spend $50 p.w. Just on buying lunches + $15 on coffees.

I'm not even suggesting you stop with these.

If you save the difference in the grocery bill alone, use that as an incentive.It's not going to make much differnce if you use that saving to buy more restaurant food.

Rob and I still eat out...but we hate restaurant coffee in Australia.
We have 2 thermos that we take with us when we go travelling around...also a water bottle (I like cordial in mine)
When we decide we would like some take away food..we are not spending an extra $8 on drinks. Take the food to the park to eat.

I'm really keen to have a go at it for a week to see if I can do it. I think I'll have fun being inventive with meal plans.

Jamie, that will give me extra money for the cocktails at the next Canberra/Queanbeyan meet up. I love Cosmos and they're usually b/w $14 - $18 each depending on where you go.

I will start a new thred ' $50 challenge' so if anybody wants else wants to be in it let me know. Maybe we can do a daily report back. It will be heaps of fun.

We can say coffees are out of scope so have as many as you need without it affecting the set budget. We don't want anybody falling asleep at their desk and injuring themselves.

I'm really keen to have a go at it for a week to see if I can do it. I think I'll have fun being inventive with meal plans.

I will start a new thred ' $50 challenge' so if anybody wants else wants to be in it let me know. Maybe we can do a daily report back. It will be heaps of fun.

Let us know when you start the new thread.
We start our 3000km trek from Melbourne to Tennant Creek on Sunday. We will try to get to an internet connection along the way, but if not,we will update at the end.

Being Frugal

Hiya

Met an old acquaintance last week whom i have seen for ages! She was rushing to Aldi to buy apples (ONLY!) as they were on special $3.19 :)

Then she said she has to meet her hubby; i asked whether he is off work sick? No, he has retired 3 years ago..age 47..

Eh...can i buy you both a coffee and chat if you don't mind about how he managed to retire at 47?

Sure!

This is what i gleaned:

1) start saving very very early in life. like in 20s...buy shares consistently.

2) Estimate yearly budget: 30,000 is all they need all up.

3) Being frugal (wife showed me all the discount flyers in her bag coles, aldi etc)

4) Living on dividends only; share portfolio 1 million dollars..incidentally went down 50% during GFC...but did not care as not forced to sell...most are blue chips and went back up again (these are not Australia shares btw)

5) Live in a villa in Sydney ; fully paid off. 1 daughter 15 years old; private school. Going to pass on share portfolio to her...

Coffee time over...and i saw them walking hand in hand contently to their various volunteer work:)

^ is retired, 47, frugal, bargain shops, LORi, on both sides of the world for summer, and began the trip to retirement 2004

enjoys walking hand in hand with his ladylove
LiveOnRentalIncome​

$1m for a couple at ~50 years old isn't enough for 'retirement' imo. All the earnings from a portfolio that size get eaten up in living expenses.

Back