What is the 'worst' suburb in your city?

A couple of decades ago I lived in Sunshine, Melbourne. Mentioning it still makes the posh girls go quiet :p

Wagga - Mt Austin, Ashmont, Tolland

Tamworth - Coledale

Sydney - I would say Maquarie Fields (cause of the stigma) tho its places like cronulla and the shire I worry about.

It is all relative. When I worked with some elite folk, Cherrybrook made them cringe.

Merrylands also relatively close to CBD and Parramtta and relative cheap property price.

True, but unfortunately has had more than it's fair share of shootings and has rampant organised crime, a lot of which the general public is not exposed to. It would without doubt be one of the most busiest Local Area Commands in the state.

As a Brissie lad from way back, the two biggies that spring to mind are Inala and Woodridge. But both suburbs have good and bad elements. A lot of honest hard working folk in both suburbs but the scum element gives rise to the overall neg perception. Deception Bay (Inala by the Sea). In all cases, neg perceptions seem to derive from the large number of welfare dependent citizens who live there.

In Melbourne, maybe Sunshine (or Scumshine) as I've heard locals refer to it and Footscray. Again. Good and bad parts and good and bad people, but the baddies give it the overall bad rep. Bit of a generalisation, but I've lived and worked there and seen both sides.

in Darwin, it's Malak Karama and Moulden people usually stay away from those places due to crimes and public housing, but that's a while again not sure how Malak and Karama is today, but Moulden still pretty bad

In Canberra it's Charnwood, Richardson and Isabella Plains.

I live in the next suburb over from Charnwood and really its not as bad as people make out (apart from the odd murder at the local shops :rolleyes: ). In any other city it would be considered a nice place to live. It has definitely gentrified over the last 10 years - lots of first home buyers moving in and housing commission moving out.

I would feel completely safe walking the streets of Charnwood on my own (female) after midnight.

Where I used to live (Adelaide), the suburbs often picked out for a joke were Elizabeth Daveron Park. Kilburn, Hackham.

Hackam West,Anything starting with Elizabeth,Smithfield,Murray Bridge(i invest heavily here,4 IP,s),Christie Downs.I concede a lot of these "Stigma" areas are going into regeneration,for the better.As in most areas,some streets will be worse than others,causing the complete area to fall under the same standards.

Hackam West,Anything starting with Elizabeth,Smithfield,Murray Bridge(i invest heavily here,4 IP,s),Christie Downs.I concede a lot of these "Stigma" areas are going into regeneration,for the better.As in most areas,some streets will be worse than others,causing the complete area to fall under the same standards.

Jim pretty much covered it.

And Kilburn.

Was driving through the main street of footscray today and there was s@!t everywhere. Very dirty

I actually thought I was in a third world country

Based on actual experience the worst suburb

:):)
I grew up near Penrith and then lived in Bonnyrigg near Cabramatta. Back in the day I must admitt getting off the trains station at Cabramatta after work was a learning experience in itself. My husband grew up near Puchbowl whose parents still live in the same house for the past 40 or so years. Thought I would provide some insight on how these areas have changed during my short lifetime.

With the influx of skilled migration of young educationed professionals the demographics of these areas are changing. Coupled with the Department of housing selling off a lot of there housing stock to the general public these areas in 20 to 30 years times will unrecognisable. The 5 acre property at Bonnyrigg where I once lived with my parents is now a sea of two story McMansions.

Therefore my pick of the worst suburb would have to be Claymore. It makes areas like Bonnyrigg, Cabramatta and Penrith look like Mosman. Claymore was a 1970's Department of Housing experiment that went wrong.

A close second would have to be Granville etc. due to the natives getting a bit restless working out who owns what.

I now live on the lower northshore. I must admit when people ask me at a Dinner party where I come from the shock of horror on their faces when I say Cabramatta is priceless. I still regard myself as a western suburbs girl.

tho its places like cronulla and the shire I worry about.

Just curious why. The Shire has some of the low crime rates in the state according to some stats that were published recently. I do agree that Cronulla can get a bit wild though.

Just curious why. The Shire has some of the low crime rates in the state according to some stats that were published recently. I do agree that Cronulla can get a bit wild though.

One thing is low crime, one thing is being able to walk down the street feeling generally comfortable.

It can also be a background thing. I feel 100% safe walking down the street in Auburn/Sydney (or even Sunshine/Footscray/Melbourne), yet my greek colleagues back in the day, would refuse to go there for Kebab, instead taking the team to Ermington for 'the best kebabs in Sydney'.

Even when I was in Wagga, I had no trouble walking down the ghetto parts of Tolland/Ashmont cause I knew the famlies there from volunteering. None of my mates would ever come with me though, fearing they would get stabbed.

One thing is low crime, one thing is being able to walk down the street feeling generally comfortable.

It can also be a background thing. I feel 100% safe walking down the street in Auburn/Sydney (or even Sunshine/Footscray/Melbourne), yet my greek colleagues back in the day, would refuse to go there for Kebab, instead taking the team to Ermington for 'the best kebabs in Sydney'.

Even when I was in Wagga, I had no trouble walking down the ghetto parts of Tolland/Ashmont cause I knew the famlies there from volunteering. None of my mates would ever come with me though, fearing they would get stabbed.

Wow, that's interesting . I've never had a problem or felt insecure on that front and have lived there for over 20 years. Never once been assaulted or threatened and I often walk through a major park from the station to get home if working late.

My wife and I (in our late 40's) often go walking late at night and never had an issue

Wow, that's interesting . I've never had a problem or felt insecure on that front and have lived there for over 20 years. Never once been assaulted or threatened and I often walk through a major park from the station to get home if working late.

My wife and I (in our late 40's) often go walking late at night and never had an issue

It is semantics. Sticking to statistics, it is fine.

Haha. Yes, things can be different depending whose eyes see the world through. I know of people who have gone back to their 3rd world motherland because they felt unsafe in aus. I love it here tho.

For Victoria:

Heidelberg West
Doveton
Dallas

Cheers
Oscar
Are we talking general level (or lack thereof) of intelligent human life that has a future, a job, and possibly a clean record down at the cop shop, and aren't generally a disgrace to the human race?

If so, you forgot Rosebud and even my little piece of paradise - Drugmana. :rolleyes: :eek:

Back