What is the 'worst' suburb in your city?

Did you rush back to the East side of town? :D

To where? Doveton? Noble Park? Franger? Dandenong? Springvale? I could go on and on.

Classy suburbs they are hahaha

I classify a bad suburb as a place i would never live in, the above suburbs would be on my list and from the west, sunshine, st albans, werribee/hoppers/tarneit et al (mind you I have lived in tarneit in the past).

To where? Doveton? Noble Park? Franger? Dandenong? Springvale? I could go on and on.

I classify a bad suburb as a place i would never live in, the above suburbs would be on my list and from the west, sunshine, st albans, werribee/hoppers/tarneit et al (mind you I have lived in tarneit in the past).
My SIL used to live in Frangers (The Pines), my in-laws live in Noble Park, and I live in Drugmana....scored the Trifecta...

Can't get much worse than those 3! :D

I think pretty much every beach area was a bit that way 25 years ago

Just goes to show how powerful an investment tool 'water' can be long term.

Try telling that to people that live in areas predicted to be impacted by rising sea-levels :p

In the Hunter I would have to say Windale, Raymond Terrace and pockets of Cessnock/Weston/Kurri etc

I used to get some scared looks when i said i went to high school in Lockridge in WA. The area has been gentrified a little since.

My father in law is a teacher there, Remember a akinny, loud, shaggy haired, sometimes bearded, maths teacher?

From Perth:

Can't believe no one has mentioned Butler, Ridgewood etc

You've never been ther, have you?

I'm surprised with all the talk of Balga, there's been no mention of Girrawheen. Waaaaay grosser IMO (I've lived on the border of both suburbs for years, on and off)

I had no idea those suburbs you mentioned were east, and I live in the east.

doveton yeah go buy there and you'll probably never make a gain in the next 10 years. it's been the no.1 foreclosure suburb in victoria for a reason.

for sydney the worst suburbs

all of the central coast
all of south west sydney

bar none BOOM

Jeeze. I bet the wealthy residents of Killcare and Hardys Bay and Pearl Beach will be amazed to hear that.

Not to mention some of the multi million dollar beachfront properties along Avoca, Terrigal, Wamberal and the like.

Or Yarramalong. Where John Laws had a multi million dollar property. And Bryce Courtney for that matter.

Too many blows to the head, sportsfan?

So now for the supplementary question.

Of the areas you've identified as 'worst' which ones do you think can, and will likely be 'gentrified' in the next couple of decades? why?

In the last few decades I've noticed some 'worst' burbs in cities become 'gentrified'. These have mostly been inner city burbs. Most of the 'worst' burbs identified in this thread are outer burbs.

So for Brisbane the 'worst' identified burbs are Inala and Woodridge. I don't think either will be able shake their image problem for at least a generation. I don't see either becoming the new Red Fern anytime soon.

So now for the supplementary question.

Of the areas you've identified as 'worst' which ones do you think can, and will likely be 'gentrified' in the next couple of decades? why?

In the last few decades I've noticed some 'worst' burbs in cities become 'gentrified'. These have mostly been inner city burbs. Most of the 'worst' burbs identified in this thread are outer burbs.

So for Brisbane the 'worst' identified burbs are Inala and Woodridge. I don't think either will be able shake their image problem for at least a generation. I don't see either becoming the new Red Fern anytime soon.

The closer in to the city, the more likely they are to be gentrified.

But that said, I've been doing a fair bit of work in Canberra lately, and one of the worst suburbs in the popular consciousness, Oaks Estate, is also one of the top 5 growing suburbs in terms of property prices. And that is pretty much as far east as you can go in the ACT (adjoins Queanbeyan)

Jeeze. I bet the wealthy residents of Killcare and Hardys Bay and Pearl Beach will be amazed to hear that.

Not to mention some of the multi million dollar beachfront properties along Avoca, Terrigal, Wamberal and the like.

Or Yarramalong. Where John Laws had a multi million dollar property. And Bryce Courtney for that matter.

Too many blows to the head, sportsfan?

ideo, please pass this news flash onto the wealthy residents on the central coast and of course lawsy..

do you think they realised they were buying in a shitty area when they drove through umina to get to killcare?

A lot of people talk about Footscray because of its inner city location , I just can't see it. Drove down the main street the other weekend and I thought I was in another world. It was the dirtiest (rubbish evrywhere) street I have seen in Australia which gives you a clue to how the residents think

Maybe being from bayside I have no culture ?

Was in frankston yesterday and besides the guy passed out in the gutter at the bus stop I can see it going forward. Albeit verrrry slowly

If you look at stats Frankston has actually degentrified (higher %of low income earners have moved in to the area) over the past 20 years which was a bit surprising as the area seems to be getting better. Council are proactive

All it needs is a few people with some balls to replace those discount shops on nepean and put in a few restaurants , cafes and the like. Would change the outlook of the joint to those driving through

Back