What is the 'worst' suburb in your city?

It is semantics. Sticking to statistics, it is fine.

Haha. Yes, things can be different depending whose eyes see the world through. I know of people who have gone back to their 3rd world motherland because they felt unsafe in aus. I love it here tho.

Whether it is your world or 3rd world - motherland is motherland

I love telling people I went to Balga High School, they gasp and take a step back with fear mwahaha
On the flip side of that, when we lived in L.A, I used to tell people who asked where we lived this little gem:

"We live in that place near the Beverly Hills hotel"

And they'd reply; "Oh; you mean Beverly Hills!?"

And I'd reply; "No; Holmby Hills"...and then I'd stop talking and watch their reaction.

It was a classic.....

FYI - Holmby Hills is where the Billionaires live.

Of course, then I'd have to come clean and say Mid-Wilshire. :D (Mid Wishire is not far from Beverly HIlls).

Sorta like telling folk you bought a Range Rover, but you had actually bought a Land Rover - this was back in the days when Land Rovers were a scuzzmobile....

And then you'd say "Sorry; I meant a Land Rover!" :D

I live in the next suburb over from Charnwood and really its not as bad as people make out (apart from the odd murder at the local shops :rolleyes: ). In any other city it would be considered a nice place to live. It has definitely gentrified over the last 10 years - lots of first home buyers moving in and housing commission moving out.

I would feel completely safe walking the streets of Charnwood on my own (female) after midnight.

It IS completely safe compared to our bigger cities. When I named those suburbs I probably should have mentioned just how good the whole of Canberra is. Its clean, peaceful and not really very challeneging in any respect. Just what I want at my age :)

Not quite sure what the point of this thread is but I'll bite.

The usual suspects for Melbourne have been mentioned.

Personally, the suburbs I feel most unsafe in are probably the trendiest. Because of the nightlife drawcard they're a hub for alcohol/drugs and ensuing problems. Think Prahran et al.

The suburb I felt most repulsed by isn't really a suburb - it's a park. Carlton Gardens just outside of the CBD. Beautiful little park with the Museum and the Royal Exhibition Building (was our first federal parliament before Canberra took over from Melbourne), surrounded by million+ dollar terraces. I used to eat my lunch there when I worked nearby. Problem is, the park is known as something of a 'meeting place' for the queer community. I won't go into details because the post will be removed, but the things I came across put me right off my lunch. I have nothing against the LBGT community but, come on people, clean up after yourselves.

I love telling people I went to Balga High School, they gasp and take a step back with fear mwahaha
But the question is Ryan, do you still have all your teeth?

I had someone ask me this when they found out I grew up in Kelmscott. Thought it was pretty damn funny to be honest! :p

Hmmm I'd vote for:
Langford (don't know it's current rep but I'm amazed I used to traipse fearlessly around after midnight delivering pizzas in the 90s)
Balga
Midland (Esp train station)
Mandurah suburbs ( not the nice bits)

langford isnt that bad now. lockridge worse imo

you like your food dont you? one of the better jap places in perth is in langford, kanta.

Perhaps an interesting spin-off question is what were the worst suburbs 25 years ago. I've only lived in Melbourne for five years but am told that Port Melbourne was a very bad area then and I would guess that some of the inner formerly working class suburbs would have been looked down on?

frankston?? really???? omg your way off there!!!! if you want bad, go live in maningrida in NT then come back to me....i wouldnt move! hastings is worse than frankston! so is crib point and tyabb

Perhaps an interesting spin-off question is what were the worst suburbs 25 years ago. I've only lived in Melbourne for five years but am told that Port Melbourne was a very bad area then and I would guess that some of the inner formerly working class suburbs would have been looked down on?

chelsea was very bad 25 years ago, the longbeach hotel was the worst pub along the beach! and im not joking!

chelsea was very bad 25 years ago, the longbeach hotel was the worst pub along the beach! and im not joking!

I think pretty much every beach area was a bit that way 25 years ago

I worked with an older bloke (late 60s) who reckons that Sandringham used to be rough and that Black Rock was full of druggos and their footy team was full of ex cons

Times change!

Just goes to show how powerful an investment tool 'water' can be long term. I know many here will disagree but there was some interesting stats spiderman posted about suburbs through time and it was interesting to see how 30 years ago the socio economics of say Sandringham and St Albans were quite similiar

Add to the list Collingwood, Preston, Northcote. All scummy back in the day. St Kilda was very rough too. :eek:

Oscar

My pick of the worst areas in Sydney

As far as Sydney goes I'd have to say any of the housing commission suburbs in the South West such as Airds, Minto, Macquarie Fields and in the west I'd have to say the satellite suburbs of Mt Druitt such as Bidwill, Tregear, Whalan, Emerton etc. Generally the bigger the housing commission area the worse it is.

Cabramatta, Bankstown and Granville are also problem suburbs but more to do with the fact that they have become very ethnically based with their own problems.

I grew up in Penrith and Blacktown, worked part time at Woolies Mt Druitt and went to high school at Rooty Hill so I know the west pretty well. Mentioning that I went to High School at Shaggers Ridge always raised a few eyebrows. It can't be too bad though cause the PM chose it for her little meeting point a few months ago.
Cheers,
Digger

I have an old article from the Australian magazine about a street in Claymore. The NSW housing minister called it the worst street in the state at the time (early 90's). A fire bug was lighting up vacant houses, must have got bored and burnt a house with a family of five living in it.

Back