Where are your properties?

Quick answer, always lived here, bought house in 88, liked the growth, continued buying, looked interstate, too hard, kept buying in ES. So far so good

Good one danel.

I too love the eastern suburbs and done good there. Mine are in Randwick, Clovelly, Newport, Leura, Atlanta (US), and currently negotiating on a 5 unit block in Dublin (Ireland).

I've lived in all these places except Atlanta.

I'm a born and raised Sydneysider, so at the moment mine are all in Sydney:

- Alexandria (1bdr U)
- Granville (2bdr U)
- St Marys (2bdr)

Incredibly cash-flow positive portfolio because I'm young and also trying to grow my salary in my job :p

But, my next Sydney purchase will be a different story. It'll be a PPOR (I'm a renter-investor, currently) that is partly investment. See, I'll be renting the second bedroom of what will be an inner-west locale (Dulwich Hill & surrounds) so I'll be entitled to some apportioned tax benefits depending on the rental revenue coming from the second bedroom... The strategy with this buy is I'm setting up the mortgage to be interest-only for the first five years, and as I grow/become more independant financially, I'll not have a renter in the second room, and it'll become 100% PPOR, by then the principal-and-interest repayments will kick in and I'll (hopefully) be on a higher salary too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in exploring other AU markets (I've looked thoroughly at Gladstone/Surat Basin, inner-north of Brisbane too; along with both Launceston and Devonport in Tasmania - each of these within 40km commute to the pulp mill - once it's built, that is!). Still toying with this idea.

Next big step for me is the US. I'm negotiating now on a Kansas City small house, and yes I'm scared as hell!

In fact, I blogged recently on Property Spectator Australia after three weeks on the ground in the South/south-west of the US conducting research (I looked at Texas, Colorado, California, and Louisanna). I weighed up the pro's and con's and shared them with the community. Check it out here:

http://www.propertyspectator.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/why-usa-property-could-be-more.html

In the family we have
2 in highgate hill qld
4 in Kadina SA
1 in Black Point SA
1 in coobowie SA
1 in Black Rock SA
1 in Dublin SA
1 port broughton SA
1 in Port Param SA

looking for one in moorooka/annerley QLD now

What an odd portfolio. Never heard of people investing in half of those places...

Care to explain why you went down this path/what you like about the areas?

wow, some very impressive portfolios listed here, feelings of inadequacy... must try harder!
Great question from OP. Too late now, but would also have been interesting to know how many years the 'veterans' (!) have been building their portfolios... might make us relative newbies feel a bit better! (or not...)

I too feel the same, 2 IP's and aged 31. Anyone willing to shed light on Lawry's post?

Well by no means am I a Veteran - but I just turned 30 and I've only been in the industry 5 years (if counting my first purchase, which was bought as a PPOR).

So I'm looking to buy my fourth this year in AU, and *maybe* a fifth by dipping my feet in the US, but that'll certainly be it for at least 2-3 years thereafter.

Like others, I don't want to take on too much debt (even if it is being serviced very well) whilst I'm in the 'younger' income tax bracket that I'm in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just discovered this post. Wow!
Carina QLD
Wynnum West QLD
Ferny Grove QLD
McDowall QLD
Bracken Ridge QLD
Warner QLD
Carseldine QLD
Ormeau QLD
Derrimut VIC
Canning Vale WA
Castlecrag NSW (PPOR)
Negotiating to buy some more in NSW....
Or and forgot one with land in Europe Ok Poland!

1 X PPOR in Glenroy (Vic) purchased in 2000 for 155K
1 X Elizabeth Downs (SA) purchased in 2007 for 169K
1 X Woodridge Heights (QLD) purchased in 2010 for 330K. 5 bedroom, can be dual living.

My PPOR has 100% equity in it. Did not use it to daisy chain to others.
Woodridge, I just have 30K owing on it.
Elizabeth Downs about 135K owing on it.

Have not refinanced any to pull any equity out of any of the PPORs or IPs.
Don't know if I'm doing it the right way. Am not a huge risk taker :D

Am seriously thinking of selling up in Victoria to move to Brisbane where the weather is warm. 10 years in Melbourne is enough, methinks. Quality of life is more important.

Would be happy to hear what you guys think.

Come on up! The weather is great....... when its not flooding...... or cyclones...... or drought....... or 35 degrees...... :D

What an odd portfolio. Never heard of people investing in half of those places...

Care to explain why you went down this path/what you like about the areas?

lived in the area most of my life and all my family lives there still .

most of them are on the water or near.

black point is the best paid 21K now land alone is sitting on about 900K

4 in outer southeast melbourne
2 in Townsville
1 in Dysart Qld
1 in Blackwater Qld
2 in Atlanta GA about to settle end of April

Back