Acceptable Behaviour?

Just thought I'd write to you all to get your opinion. Basically I am pretty seriously overweight. I have managed to lose 22 kilos in the last year but still have at least another 40 to go, so as you can see my situation is pretty bad.

I have been on a constant diet for the last year in an effort to improve my health (mainly as I was sick for 4 years and didn't want to go through all that again) and as a secondary consideration to lose weight.

Anyway, today I didn't bring in my lunch so went down to the cafe attached to my work to buy something. I was good and bought something healthy. On leaving the shop I noticed some construction workers from the building next door were sitting outside of the cafe and kept on walking the opposite direction back towards my work. As I got just a few metres away (and clearly within hearing distance) one of them yelled out "That *** should have it's own postcode!". Of course, all the other construction workers just started laughing. I turned around to see if he was talking to me, and since there was no other "fat" people around, I can only assume that it was. It was further confirmed to me by the fact that they broke out in laughter again as I turned around.

I want to know, do people really think this is acceptable behaviour? I mean, I can't believe that in this day and age that anyone could possibly believe that that is an acceptable way to behave. I was absolutely mortified, not only because it is a humiliating experience to have had, but also for the fact that there were a few people from my work around who would have also heard the remarks and so it might just become a joke about me at work. I really wish now that I had gone back and confronted the jerk, but unfortunately that's not what I do, and I don't honestly know what I would have said anyway.

You may think that this is a one-off and that I should get over it, but I'm telling you that this kind of thing happens to me all too often. When I was at my largest it was at least once a week, now that I have lost a bit it has reduced to only about once a fortnight and each time it happens I usually just walk away thinking its not worth it.

The only time I have ever stuck up for myself was when there were two guys just up the road from my work and one said a very unkind remark to me as I was walking past him. I immediately stuck out my leg and tripped him over. He landed on his face and ended up with a blood nose. I don't feel this was necessarily the right thing to do, but it was my gut reaction. His friend found it very amusing anyway.

Anyway, I don't want anyone's sympathy, I just want to know if this kind of thing ever happens to anyone else, cause right now I feel very alone and depressed.

Thanks for reading,
Luckyone

We're talking construction workers here.

Sadly, a large majority of them are neanderthals.

Move on and rise above.

while i understand and sympathize with you, i think it's acceptable behavior and should be encouraged since early childhood.

the reason for that is that in our culture it became acceptable to be fat.
the political correctness comes to the point where people are encouraged to be fat, and are taught that it's not their fault that they are fat.

well in most cases it's either their fault, or their parent's fault.

what we need is more peer pressure on fat people to adopt the healthy way of life. whether the particular words those guys used are acceptable or not comes to the personal skin thickness.

It's funny that you say this actually. I was having a discussion with with a psychologist a few weeks ago and it finally hit me how this all started (I mean getting obese). I recalled that I started putting on weight at about 12. It was slow at the start and I wasn't too worried about it, but my mum and grandmother certainly were. After a year I had put on about 5 kilos, which is pretty significant for a kid of that age. Mum immediately put me on a diet.

Later, I was round at a friend's house. His mum, my mum and a bunch of their friends were in the next room. I remember going to grab a piece of chicken (kfc) from the table and overhearing his mum say "She'll never lose that weight, she's stuck with it for life".

What was so significant about this statement was that this particular woman was a nurse. I immediately believed her. I had always been told to trust people in the medical field. My psychologist explained that because of this it had kind of caused me to 'give up' on losing weight. The sad thing is that when I last saw my mum, I asked her about this and why her friend had said it. She said they knew I was in the next room and had setup the conversation in the hope to spur me on to lose weight. Charming!

I know this doesn't entirely explain putting on weight, but what if that one comment has just haunted me (which it has), thus hampering any real chance I've ever had of losing weight?

I do agree however that it has become acceptable to be overweight. I don't think that's right. It gives the wrong impression to kids. After going through all the crap I have over the last 20+ years, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But I don't think the answer is to make fun of someone, or to put them down. This doesn't help, believe me. All it does is make you depressed and eat more. And believe me, it's not going to be the healthy stuff :) This approach may work for you Strannik, but for someone who's suffering from being overweight I would put my money on it that this approach would not work for them

Sorry for the rant guys.

You've got nothing to say sorry to us for Luckyone :)
I think that one comment you mentioned, was just one of the negative and incorrect comments you've heard. As you explained, the weight had started being put on about a year before that.
With every kilo you lose, you are proving that nurse wrong :D

I wouldn't avoid that construction team, i'd walk past there again ASAP :D
They've been rude once and gotten away with it, so unless one or more of the group have told the offensive ones to watch their mouths, they will probably do it again. If you do hear any sort of insult, then you have another chance to confront them! :D

I wouldn't give them a chance to tell you any pathetic reasons or excuses, all you want is an apology. I wouldn't mention anything personal like thier siblings or whatever, as for all you know the guy is from a broken home and would say such an insult to them aswell.

I'd just say "I'm going to give you guys a chance, apologize, or I'm reporting all of you"
Chances are one or more of them will tell the rude one "apologize d'head" :cool:

I've worked on plenty of building sites and the guys are mostly yobbos. Judge an insult by where its coming from, don't let it get to you and move on.

Regarding the comment made when you were young. Isn't that not taking responsibility for your life and blaming someone else for your situation?

I can sort of understand your predicament, but i don't think we can blame anyone for our life forever.

Regarding the comment made when you were young. Isn't that not taking responsibility for your life and blaming someone else for your situation?

I can sort of understand your predicament, but i don't think we can blame anyone for our life forever.
It's not about blame, it's about recognising that this comment has - rightly or wrongly - had an undue influence, and by being aware of it, making a decision now that it's not going to continue to affect you in the future.

Like it or not, everybody is heavily influenced by the sum of their experiences, it's just that most of the time we're not aware of what those moments were, or what message (often self-destructive) that we took away from them. We just decide that we're lazy, or ugly, or clumsy, or stupid, or whatever it is that we learned from our experiences, and "live down" to those beliefs. :eek:

Every belief that we have about ourselves - that we're intelligent or stupid, outgoing or shy, confident or not, aggressive or timid, good with money or not, etc - is a result of the aggregrate of experiences we've had in life. We usually tend to just assume that we have these beliefs because they're factual, rather than questioning them and choosing to change them.

Good for luckyone for becoming aware that she's taken on this belief, and challenging it. :)

Agree entirely Tracy. But when the aspect is a negative influence on our lives. Do you think its ok to use a minor circumstance in our life to not change or as a reason why we have become what we've become?

Ive seen people never change using something that's happened in their past as an excuse.

I understand that we are a product of every experience weve had, but at some point, dont you think, we can rise above that and consciously be the person we want to be. Rather than being an non participating, passive product of our past.

It's not about blame, it's about recognising that this comment has - rightly or wrongly - had an undue influence, and by being aware of it, making a decision now that it's not going to continue to affect you in the future.

Like it or not, everybody is heavily influenced by the sum of their experiences, it's just that most of the time we're not aware of what those moments were, or what message (often self-destructive) that we took away from them. We just decide that we're lazy, or ugly, or clumsy, or stupid, or whatever it is that we learned from our experiences, and "live down" to those beliefs. :eek:

Every belief that we have about ourselves - that we're intelligent or stupid, outgoing or shy, confident or not, aggressive or timid, good with money or not, etc - is a result of the aggregrate of experiences we've had in life. We usually tend to just assume that we have these beliefs because they're factual, rather than questioning them and choosing to change them.

Good for luckyone for becoming aware that she's taken on this belief, and challenging it. :)

Do you think its ok to use a minor circumstance in our life to not change or as a reason why we have become what we've become?
I didn't think that's what luckyone was implying. I think she's realised that she formed a belief all those years ago that "I'll always struggle with my weight", and has subconsciously sabotaged herself ever since, ie it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I suspect that now that she's aware of it, she may have more luck in making a permanent shift to a healthier weight. :) I don't think she's blaming those people, but recognising that she responded to that incident in a way which hasn't been productive for her, and can now choose to respond differently and form new beliefs.

Anyway, your question is really two questions... tackling the latter half first, yes, I do think that minor circumstances can play a profound role in influencing who we become.

As to whether that influence is something that you can use to justify not changing, well, that's ultimately up to the individual. If it's an unhealthy influence, it would obviously be in one's best interests to work at reducing that influence, but not everybody has the emotional intelligence / strength / desire / skills to deal with their past. :eek:

I can't affect whether other people change or not, or what other people do; I can only change what I do, and how I respond to what others do. And I find that judgement really doesn't contribute positively to either of those, so I'm trying to reduce it. ;)

Yes you are right. btw: I was talking more in a general sense then luckyone's particular case.

I didn't think that's what luckyone was implying. I think she's realised that she formed a belief all those years ago that "I'll always struggle with my weight", and has subconsciously sabotaged herself ever since, ie it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I suspect that now that she's aware of it, she may have more luck in making a permanent shift to a healthier weight. :) I don't think she's blaming those people, but recognising that she responded to that incident in a way which hasn't been productive for her, and can now choose to respond differently and form new beliefs.

Anyway, your question is really two questions... tackling the latter half first, yes, I do think that minor circumstances can play a profound role in influencing who we become.

As to whether that influence is something that you can use to justify not changing, well, that's ultimately up to the individual. If it's an unhealthy influence, it would obviously be in one's best interests to work at reducing that influence, but not everybody has the emotional intelligence / strength / desire / skills to deal with their past. :eek:

I can't affect whether other people change or not, or what other people do; I can only change what I do, and how I respond to what others do. And I find that judgement really doesn't contribute positively to either of those, so I'm trying to reduce it. ;)

Agree entirely Tracy. But when the aspect is a negative influence on our lives. Do you think its ok to use a minor circumstance in our life to not change or as a reason why we have become what we've become?

Ive seen people never change using something that's happened in their past as an excuse.

I understand that we are a product of every experience weve had, but at some point, dont you think, we can rise above that and consciously be the person we want to be. Rather than being an non participating, passive product of our past.

Doesn't the fact that she's succeeding in ovecoming this problem sho w that she is nt falling into the trap other peopel youv'e described have fallen into refusing to sovle their problems ?

I must have had too many beers :confused:

Maybe you could explain Mark, how Luckone losing 23kg and sharing what she has experienced with everyone, is not succeeding with solving her problems :confused:

I think Luckyone is doing an excellent job, and many people will benefit from what she has shared, including encouraging parents that thier children deserve to be treated with respect, instead of dishonest schemes.

My typing's as bad as it ever was, why who said anything different ?
Looks like you've sobered up now, jaycee. ;) Just in time for beer o'clock! (Well, over east anyway... unless you West Aussies take beer o'clock on Eastern time, which isn't too bad an idea now that I mention it.... :p)

Nup, the last thing I want to imply is that this one comment shaped the rest of my life and "made" me put on weight. I know that I was the one to put all that food in my mouth, I know I was the one who was lazy and didn't exercise for many years. I'm just saying that I think this comment from my mum's friend didn't help and maybe was when I started losing the belief that I could ever really lose the weight I had put on.

Back