How to start...exercising

I would love to get some tips too.

I hate going to gym. I feel as it is waste of time & energy. Why pay someone to use our energy?
To me, the trick is to make it something double purpose.

If possible, ride to work a few times each week, get organised on the days that you drive and bring in a change of clothes/showering gear. No need to look for a paid parking space, there is often bike parking/showers in the basement or accessible toilet with showers.

I double up with a couple of days of spin class at the gym or weights sessions.

As much as I loathe running, I took up a City to Surf running class last year with the gym - meet new people/have a bit of fun. Cheap small group sessions for 10 weeks commitment 3 x per week

Missed registration for boot camp (my boots deserve it). It was about $5/session even for non-members.

At 30, I started tennis. It is part of my routine now. At least 1-2 nights of play per week.

At 35, I started cycling. Trying to do about 40 mins of ride (with a kid) per week. I take a kid to the park and come back.

Do you take any kids in particular or your own? ;)

Now (39), started learning swimming. At blowing bubbles stage now :eek:

My aim is to do each of this activity at least once a week. That itself should be sufficient and fun.

Swimming is great, if you have a year round pool - even better.

Interval training gives best bang for time outlaid. Having said that, I'd argue if possible to include as part of your work schedule to re-invigorate you.

If you want to try some interval training - there are plenty of good long stair cases around Sydney/North Sydney. Walk/run up some of these a few times, that'll get the heart pumping.

Haha.. that did sound a bit not right. We have 3 kids under 6.... that is why 'a kid' :)

No one would think otherwise :eek:

Thanks for all the replies so far. Clearly its either a nerve or passion with many.

G'day Blacky.

I would suggest that your priority might be in the wrong place in this situation.

Considering you have little time to exercise and it gives you some pain as well I would definitely be looking at diet rather than exercise. Don't get me wrong, cardiovascular activity is great for health and weight loss but if you're diet is not great it is an uphill battle.

Edit: I agree with HiEquity about doing exercise before work, great way to start the day and even better if you do it on an empty stomach ;-)

Interesting - Im not overweight at all (in fact Im probably a bit too slim). Im one of those people who eat what ever I want, do no exercise, and still manage to lose weight. I managed to "bulk up" a couple of years ago, and hit 88kgs. My photos look ridiculous. Clearly if I put on weight, it goes straight to my chin :p
So I have never considered my diet at all. In fact, even in thinking about starting this regime I was thinking I can completely ignore most of the "health and fitness" stuff on the web, as it largely centers around diet. And I figured I wouldn't have to worry about that, I can eat what I want. Maybe I need a re-alignment on my thinking in this aspect.

This actually has some appeal. Any exercise now usually comes in the form of these three sports - just not all at once. Though Ive never considered actually doing a triathlon. Maybe I will look into this.

Know of any online training plans (preferably cheap/free?).

Can't believe that post is coming from a dude who could probably do the swim leg of a triathlon without coming up for air!!! :)

The Y-man
This is true. One of the main reasons I noticed my lack of fitness was that I struggled to do a 50m dynamic in the pool. I ended up finishing the session with a 75m, but it was pretty uncomfortable. A big issue is that holding your breath is actually the opposite of exercise. Its more about slowing down and not moving - which i can do very well. Its the getting up and getting going Im struggling with. :p.
I actually have to re-train to breath. When Im doing 'normal' laps, I keep forgetting to breath and end up with a massive CO2 headache :p

Any possible way you can escape for 30-60 minutes in your 12 day? I doubt that you're actually productive for all 12 hours, maybe an experiment to take your hour & see if you get the same amount done?
Not really. Its a "clock in-clock out" type set up. There is not even much flexibility in changing the start/finish hour. Its 7am-7pm, no variation. I think Im just going to have to wake up a bit earlier.

Get yourself a love interest. That'll give you a reason to start looking after no. 1 ;)

Leading a double life will act as cardio 'cause your heart will constantly be racing.

You will have less free time so you'll have to manage it better if you don't want to alert either to your new found philandering ways.

Your memory will also improve out of sight as you will need to recall two calendars, two social lives and two families.
Im sure that long term, this will have serious serious detrimental effects on my health, most likely in the form of an unceremonious removal of some vital organs :p

Cheers

Blacky

I just read a lot of triathlon forums for ideas... The main thing is to register, then I started making time for training as I didn't want to embarrass myself...
I tagged along with a group of friends who do one near London every year at the end of May if you are keen.. it's a great introductory one consisting of a 400m swim, 21k cycle(possible to rent bike) then 5k run... A lot of different body types and fitness levels all having a great day out. .. Join us!!!!!

Anyway lets chat about it in Moscow next time. ..

Interesting - Im not overweight at all (in fact Im probably a bit too slim). Im one of those people who eat what ever I want, do no exercise, and still manage to lose weight. I managed to "bulk up" a couple of years ago, and hit 88kgs. My photos look ridiculous. Clearly if I put on weight, it goes straight to my chin :p
So I have never considered my diet at all. In fact, even in thinking about starting this regime I was thinking I can completely ignore most of the "health and fitness" stuff on the web, as it largely centers around diet. And I figured I wouldn't have to worry about that, I can eat what I want. Maybe I need a re-alignment on my thinking in this aspect.

Have you ever measured your body fat? It is actually possible to be slim but still have a high level of visceral fat (fat around the organs) have chat to your GP... Don't let him(or her) tell you that you are fine "for your age"

The Tri-Its, or TryAthlon for Adults look like they would be fun (I'd have a crack at one rather than an Iron-Man style event) i.e.. Try?it Masters - Swim 250m, Bike 15km, Run 5km

A workmate told me he was skinnyfat, no idea what that is (neither did I until recently).

Skinny fat ( adjective ): to appear skinny, but feel soft. Someone who is naturally thin but doesn?t ever work out.

On the site, Urban Dictionary, they state ?skinny fat? means ?to look slim, even with revealing clothes, but when touched, the touching hand sinks into fat before reaching the muscle.? My Fitness Pal says ?skinny fat is having a normal BMI but an obese level of body fat percentage. Studies have found that approximately 29% of people with average BMI fall into the ?skinny fat? definition.

Yes you may not be massive but think about what you?re doing to your insides and the long term health risks associated with what you?re doing. Are you one of the many ?skinny fat??! Do you eat a diet high in fat, sugar and carbs and get out of breath climbing your stairs? Working out and eating healthy is not just about what you look like, this is your life we?re talking about?.get your skinny *** out of McDonalds and put your health first.

It's all about body composition

As for me, I keep on seeing that book by Michelle Bridges about losing the last 5 kgs and I'm thinking that's my goal, to be able to get to a point to be able to read that book ;)

Interesting - Im not overweight at all (in fact Im probably a bit too slim). Im one of those people who eat what ever I want, do no exercise, and still manage to lose weight.

Associating slim body shape with fitness is very misleading. I suspect that there are far more unfit slim people around than expected. At least with the obese, they constantly get told and harassed that they need to do something and hence, there are some remarkably overweight but fit people out there. If we define fit as in the ability to run a half marathon or complete a triatholon in a certain time, you will find many slenders beaten by overweight people.

In fact, some years ago, as a slender man in his early 30s, I recall that I was embarrassingly beaten convincingly during a half marathon by an elderly female who was not only overweight but had a movement disorder which caused one leg to twitch and spasm every 5 minutes or so. I did not know this person but she overtook me early in the race and I never saw her again until well past the finish line. At the starting line, I had thought that she surely could not be participating.

It sounds like we have a similar build and the best thing I have found is a manual elliptical trainer, I jump on this for 3-5 minutes usually 3 times a day.

I started on an easy setting with the intent of keeping my joints mobile and it works, been doing it now for 2 years and I am much more mobile and supple.

No need to push to pain, it is all about staying flexible as I age, I am in my 60's and I move better than most 45 year olds.

It sounds like we have a similar build and the best thing I have found is a manual elliptical trainer, I jump on this for 3-5 minutes usually 3 times a day.

This may not be sufficient time for to achieve cardio benefits. Do you need to do something else for that?

Easiest way is whatever you start, include a friend/family member so you can motivate each other.

Alternatively, buy a dog if you don't have one. Dogs need walking and exercise, so very good motivation. Not bad companions either.

Following on from an old thread about how "old" we all are - there were a number of comments (including my own) referring to the dangers of living a sedentary lifestyle.

Well, Im a bad culprit for it. I work long hours when I work (12+/day) of which 99% of it is office based.
When I get off work, Im buggered, so I generally "swan" around. That is I basically just hang around the house or town doing things at a slow leisurely pace. I very rarely watch tv (less than 4hrs/month), but do use the computer in my down time, and I read a lot.

However, when it comes to exercise it just doesn't happen. I will occasionally get a rush of blood and go for a run (it hurts) or a swim or bike ride. However, this doesn't happen nearly enough.

Now that Im in my greying years :)p) Ive noticed pains where pain never used to be. I have the most inflexible legs in the world, if I do do any exercise I can't walk for the next 3 days and doing fun things (skiing, football, playing with the dog etc) Im puffed after about 3mins and exhausted by the end of the day.
Does not have to be that way, maybe go out and buy a glucose meter for diabetes and work up hill from there ,,I'm in your age group never been too a gym in my life that's one item with blue collar manual labour it's keeps you fit ,,or look it like this we started off living in caves hunter gathers never had breakfast slow walk out the cave in the morning looking for what ever one could eat,unlike today with fast food within 10klm's of most city people anywhere in AUSTRALIA..

I walk over 5 klm's a day no hills just flat ground in the local parks along the river never ate breakfast in my life ,,the first 500 mts is sometime hard once I get past the 1 klms the world just pass you by as your in your own mindspace,leave all the problem behind as you walk ,from my experience the smokers and drinkers go first the ones from what I see that walk each day go the distance..good luck..

Walk for an hour a day. If you can't do that, go for half an hour.

If you're really stuck, break it into 10 or 15 minutes walks spaced throughout the day.

Learn how to eat better, also.

The Tri-Its, or TryAthlon for Adults look like they would be fun (I'd have a crack at one rather than an Iron-Man style event) i.e.. Try?it Masters - Swim 250m, Bike 15km, Run 5km

A workmate told me he was skinnyfat, no idea what that is (neither did I until recently).

It's all about body composition

As for me, I keep on seeing that book by Michelle Bridges about losing the last 5 kgs and I'm thinking that's my goal, to be able to get to a point to be able to read that book ;)

Ha - Skinny fat. Ive never heard that before. But yeah, its probably me.
I used to be relatively strong for my size, but not any more. And yeah, a set of stairs makes me puff.
I have a 'podgy' soft tummy. I blame it on the hours of **** shinning I do at work.

Fortunatly I'm not a big eater, especially of fast foods. However, my half dozen pints a couple of times a week wouldn't be helping.

Ive looked up a couple of triathlon sites on the web. they seem interesting. Ive downloaded a couple of (free) apps and will start planning some exercise out. However, its always the getting started thing which I have trouble with.

No time like today.

Blacky

I just read a lot of triathlon forums for ideas... The main thing is to register, then I started making time for training as I didn't want to embarrass myself...
I tagged along with a group of friends who do one near London every year at the end of May if you are keen.. it's a great introductory one consisting of a 400m swim, 21k cycle(possible to rent bike) then 5k run... A lot of different body types and fitness levels all having a great day out. .. Join us!!!!!

Anyway lets chat about it in Moscow next time. ..

Sounds appealing. Ill be in Moscow on Saturday. Lets chat about it over a beer and burger... :p

Blacky

However, its always the getting started thing which I have trouble with.

No time like today.

Blacky

It's exactly like saving up for first property deposit. Kinda painful and boring - but once ya get into the swing of it, it becomes automatic and fun.

Back