Know anyone famous?

My brother and his wife were in the Beach Hotel, Merewether, Newcastle back in the early eighties and this famous guy walked in alone who they recognised and invited over for a drink and a chat. Fans will love this funny utube clip! :D

Apparantly he had escaped the managers clutches and headed for his favourite environment for a drink before the big show that night.

Ended up a bit of a sad story of how his life is a pretty boring existence touring on the road - not really knowing where he is heading for - or the cities he is performing in - sleeping in the same chain of motel every night. Pretty lonely really.

The manager eventually found him and Joe obligingly left my bro with his small brush with fame experience - he was a great fan of the guy so he was stoked to have met him for a down to earth chat.

I spent about 15 years working in advertising agencies and met a huge number of 'celebs'. We had a bar in the agency and a lot of them were very keen to come for the free drinks and other stuff. Sometimes we used to get people to come in for castings even if we had no intention of using them just so we could meet them and have a drink and a chat with them afterwards.

There were sportspeople, musos, actors, models, politicians, 'colourful racing identities' etc etc.

But none of them were very interesting. Actors could feign interest and pretend to participate in a conversation. The politicians were pretty good at that, too. But most of the others just weren't very interesting. The good looking or rich ones didn't have to be, I guess. So after a while people would just wander away from them and they'd be left by themselves. I decided back then to not become famous.

Hm, let's see -

Met Les Hill from Home & Away and one of the Underbellys - he was the cousin & nephew of a softball family I was very involved with.

John English just as he got famous as we both shared the same surname and both lived in Cabramatta. I was always being asked was I his sister and he was apparently always being asked if he was my brother. Finally met him through a mutual friend. Used to get giggly girls ringing up and asking, "Is John there"?

My ex husband was heavily involved with Parramatta Leagues so went to many dinners with top players circa 1981 - 1986.
He also sponsored a trophy in boxing which I presented a couple of times. Don't remember the names of the winners. Didn't really enjoy either of the above. One of his close friends was Billy Todd, Welterweight boxing Champion in the 50's.
(http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=42173&cat=boxer)

The band Big Pig came back to my place after doing a local gig.

And speaking of gigs - I was invited to a gig at a friends place. She'd won a radio contest. Ross Wilson playing in her backyard as well as Amanda & Jonesy (2WS). Chatted and had pics taken with all of them.

I have a friend who knows both Natalie Imbruglia and Daniel Johns very well.

I played an extra in an Aussie film called Gotcha circa 1991. Even after looking at the listing on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471723/) I don't remember any of the stars. I do remember the directors name though - Hamish McSporran - I thought it was a send up on a scottish name, but no, that's his name.

I'm friends with Nathan Foley's mother and of course know Nathan (ex High Fiver and currently on I Will Survive, a reality knock out contest for a part in a stage production of Priscilla).

Oh! and I bought an ice cream from Rex Jackson once at Bald Hill where he ran an ice cream truck after his release from jail. :p He was Minister for Youth and Community Services, Corrective Services and Roads at various times through 1976 - 1983.

Last edited:
Hubby used to be the lead singer at a Theatre Restaurant some years ago now. They used to get in guest commedians all the time. He has mentioned on a number of occasions that he really like Carl Baron and that he was a really nice bloke. He's also met a swag of other well known commedians too, but I can't for the life of me think of their names.

Have been personally invited to the Governor General's house (& the Mrs)... does that count?

Otherwise, my brush with fame has been restricted to moshpits.... ;)

.....just finished reading a very depressing and long article about Doc Neeson.

Good to have you with us lillyvale.

Were you "the absolutely stunning" 1974 version or the 1991 version ??

It looks like both marriages ended.

Looked. Unless you are Bra Pitt I am none wiser. Give us a hint!

Peter

Nah, it's pretty embarrassing TBH. I've been involved with much more films than the ones shown on there, but for some reason, my credits aren't attributed to me on any good ones.

Edit: Hint: figure out what the "D" stands for and I'm pretty sure I'm the first result in the search.

.....just finished reading a very depressing and long article about Doc Neeson.

Could be this one?
Fallen-angel

One of the first concerts I went to was The Angels at Festival Hall in Melbourne and my girlfriend managed to get his shirt after he threw it into the crowd. I'm related to Dave Gleeson from the Screaming Jets who is The Angels new lead singer but never met him :p

I'm also related to this guy who sold out to Microsoft..
http://www.ted.com/talks/blaise_aguera_y_arcas_demos_photosynth.html

off the top of my inebriated head

Delvene Delaney (same company)
Graeme Blundell (spotted for him at City Gym)
Sonia McMahon (can't tell)
Goth (had a chat with him at least once a week in the elevator for 2 years)
Leo Schofield
Hugh Lunn
Several descendents of Henry Ford.
John Denver (got to know him over 2 x visits to a US health retreat)
Louise Hay (alternative health guru)
Kylie Minogue (non disclosure agreement)
Richard Wright of Pink Floyd (non disclosure agreement)
Darren Middleton (if you don't know doesn't matter)
Wayne Swan (had a coffee with him last Sunday)

Back