private hospital staff and patients are bullying a friend.What can i do?

I have a friend in private hospital who has a serious condition. she has been admitted to a hospital well known for helping this condition. However there seem to be some very nasty scarey bullying patients there, and even some nasty bullying staff there. Her family have suffered to scape together the money for this admission, which isnt easy for them, but she doesnt feel she can stay one more day because of the nasty patients and nasty staff. I dont know if they think her condition is funny or if they are jealous as she is very young and pretty.

I dont know what to do as staying seems dangerous that they will deteriorate and not cope, but so does discharging. maybe another hospital wont have this issue, but its becoming very expensive, and will it work even. What can one do if patients and staff are bullying and distressing a very sensitive patient.

Has anyone else had such a problem? What can someone do?

It seems surprising that the bullying is both the patients and the staff.

I'll admit (having worked in the Hospital environment) that there are some staff who clearly should not be there any longer, but...

What sort of treatment do you call bullying?

my first thought was that the friend was in a mental hospital, as i can't see why other patients would be bully'ing anyone in a private hospital - also - if the staff are being harsh, it may just be in the eye of the beholder.

i know from several older aquaintances being in hospital that the nurses can seem like they're bullying when all they are trying to do is get everyone showered in a reasonable amount of time, and get them up and mobile after surgery/illness as they need to get the patients moving for blood flow and quicker healing. this can be hard for the staff when the all the patients want to do is lie around and feel sorry for themselves (which equates to bedsores and muscle wastage and poor circulation, hence poor healing).

are you having a vent, or after some advice? if it's advice then need more info.

Pts. generally aren't physically well enough and/or don't get much of a chance to socialize with other pts. in a general hospital setting. If they're well enough to bully then they're usually well enough to be discharged.

Does she and the other patients have mental health issues? If so then you must understand that all parties aren't of sound mind anyway and the nurses are probably just laying down some ground rules or setting limits.

If this is the case, and she's a voluntary pt. and has someone to care for her at home could she not limit her time there and see her Dr. as an outpatient.

If she's detained then she's very unwell and her judgment of pts. staff and treatment will be skewed. In this case hospital is the best place regardless of what she thinks is happening.

Last edited:
You really haven't given enough info. Either this person isn't being bullied, but just feels victimised by everyone - in which case there is nothing you can do, it is the individual who must adjust their veiws. This is particularly likely if they are a patient due to mental health issues. Staff bullying isn't uncommon, but it is strange that there is enough interaction with other patients for bullying to be present - unless this is a mental health issue rather then a physically issue.

Otherwise, something really is happening (which is unlikely but still possible) in which case the patient (or an individual acting on the patients behalf) should contact the hospital administration and find out about lodging a formal complaint and getting a patient advocate assigned to the patient. Going through this proceedure is probably not a bad idea anyway, as it means things will be investigated and things can either be resolved for the patient, or the staff can be made aware of the skewed perceptions of the patient if they are not already.

they spoke to ward manager and were told that there are 3 patients who gang up and bully others and it's a problem they continue to deal with .
The staff bullying is around the stress those patients cause so seems like it's being dealt with .
Thnx.

sometimes you just have to harden up in life...the weak will always get trodden on.............

if this is actually the case how weak are the family and friends like you not to seriously intervene immediately?

do something about it, dont just post on a forum.

no backbone?

seriously......

huh!!? i didn't think jane and francine were the same people - so was i wrong - or is francine taking the mickey ;) and playing along?

their questions might be similar, but i thought the writing style was different. anyhow - hope one way or the other, the problems really are sorted.

Back