What's the Secret!?! How do you find the time to post so frequently?

Hi all,

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now...

How do the regular posters on Somersoft find the time to post so frequently?
I have no life, I have no friends, so here is the closest I get to filling the void.
Also, I am a very poor sleeper, so fill lots of wee hours here.
Today I just happen to be doing some book work at work, and it's easy to flit from Cashflow Manager back to here and vice versa.

Most of you appear to lead very successful and busy lives, combining family and investing with either managing your own business and or a corporate job, yet you all find time to regularly and consistently post on this forum.
I am a failure actually. Busy being a loser mostly.

So, what's your secret!?! ;)

...or do you all just have great time management skills!
This is something I am very good at if I say so myself.

my internet is open pretty much all the time for work and for immediate spot prices.

in a lull or between jobs i log on for 30secs and see what's up, then pop out again.

I don't consider myself prolific in posting, joined 2005, maybe 3000+ posts, but I like to be able to give back to people considering property investing by sharing my (investing) experiences, (for what they are worth), because I have had so many generous folks share their experiences, time, knowledge with me.

It's a great forum, I think Kristine has it's 'working' of personalities in a nutshell.

I don't have much difficulty finding time to post, now with wireless internet and laptops.

Thanks for the replies. So from what I gather, most people sneak in Somersoft reading and posting during their downtime - whether it be during lunch, after work, or in place of housekeeping!

The reason I'm curious about this stems from how self-disciplined people are in managing their time, and, and how this impacts on their productivity output. I am working on a PhD from home, and find that the day can often get away from me because I don't structure my time properly – and hence why I am often found working at 3am in the morning!

I thought I might share this story. It provided me with the motivation that I needed to reassess how I was spending my time...

Last week I was at a conference and met two very successful, young academics. They shared with me their personal stories on how they had achieved the success that they had. I was shocked to learn that the female academic was only 32 years old and was already an Associate Professor, a Dean with 55 staff, had written a couple of books, had won numerous awards and did her PhD whilst lecturing full time, with two kids and one on the way. The other academic, who was only 36, was a Professor, he had also won numerous awards, including Young Scientist of the Year, was a Director of a major Research Institute, married with kids, and featured in a SMH "people to watch" segment in 2010.

Their success blew me away, and they attributed it to being able to manage their time productively. The Associate Professor explained to me that whilst she was doing her PhD she would get up and work on it between 4am and 6am every morning because that's the only time that she had to devote to it; she even took her PhD in to hospital with her and worked on it after having a caesarean. They basically squeezed every last drop of time out of the day and used it productively. This was an ah-ha moment for me. Compared to them, I had been working on my PhD in second gear. Consequently, I've been reading up on various time management techniques, and was curious to know how other successful people were able to manage their time.

So do people on this forum feel that they use every last drop of time productively? Whether it is working towards achieving their goals, or spending quality time with family and friends? I read something interesting last night. Many people (especially investors) are very disciplined with managing their money, but not so when it comes to time, which is a commodity that once spent, we can never get back.

OK, well that’s my musings for tonight....and probably the other reason I don't post on this forum a lot...I can't seem to limit my posts to less than 100 words! lol

I think a lot depends on how much you want to do something and how structured your day is (set appointments, meetings, deadlines) regardless of whether you or other set these deadlines.

I find I accomplish much more on busy days when the day is already filled with 'things to do' and I procrastinate on quieter days.

I tend to go on SS in spurts between activity to unwind and because it's addictive.

The answer... take on more ;).

I saw your thread get posted last night... I often wonder what so many are doing up so late.

I post when I have time. Lately I havn't. Howeverrrrrrr things are now sorted businesswise and I once again have time to stir things up with a universe sized spoon :D

Beats facebook

Oh...and I agree with Kristine, though note that Kristine contributes some great lengthy posts

Gotta go now, approaching my word limit ;)

The Associate Professor explained to me that whilst she was doing her PhD she would get up and work on it between 4am and 6am every morning because that's the only time that she had to devote to it; she even took her PhD in to hospital with her and worked on it after having a caesarean. They basically squeezed every last drop of time out of the day and used it productively. .

Well, your Associate Professor fills me with concern. Our bodies are designed for work, rest and play, and if you dont allow that time, eventually I think they shut down either physically or emotionally to force rest. I have seen so many young ambitious mums (myself included) into the trap of trying to achieve a whole lot when they have babies, not take time out before and after giving birth etc. In the end, I think it backfires. In my case, I ended up with depression for 5 years. I achieved a lot but it was not worth it.
I think we need time to be unproductive during the day... that is when our minds and emotions get renewed. I now find its far more "productive" to follow the natural rhythms of life rather than jam-pack my life with activity... to allow time to work, time to play and time to rest (not just sleep, but rest as well). When I do this, I dont need to work as hard to achieve the same results.

The reason I'm curious about this stems from how self-disciplined people are in managing their time, and, and how this impacts on their productivity output. I am working on a PhD from home, and find that the day can often get away from me because I don't structure my time properly – and hence why I am often found working at 3am in the morning!

I can understand this, (early wee hours), the ability to get into whatever it is you are pursuing/working ....it can be a very focussed/quiet/uninterrupted time for a person to do this. (And hopefully catch up on some shut eye somewhere else), although for some people sleep is quite relative. I prefer my 8 hours, but can do less, and I know many people that just do not require 8, or even 6, sometimes even less, they know their bodies, their life requirements, they get by just fine. We are all unique.

Last week I was at a conference and met two very successful, young academics. They shared with me their personal stories on how they had achieved the success that they had. I was shocked to learn that the female academic was only 32 years old and was already an Associate Professor, a Dean with 55 staff, had written a couple of books, had won numerous awards and did her PhD whilst lecturing full time, with two kids and one on the way. The other academic, who was only 36, was a Professor, he had also won numerous awards, including Young Scientist of the Year, was a Director of a major Research Institute, married with kids, and featured in a SMH "people to watch" segment in 2010.

Their success blew me away, and they attributed it to being able to manage their time productively. The Associate Professor explained to me that whilst she was doing her PhD she would get up and work on it between 4am and 6am every morning because that's the only time that she had to devote to it; she even took her PhD in to hospital with her and worked on it after having a caesarean. They basically squeezed every last drop of time out of the day and used it productively. This was an ah-ha moment for me. Compared to them, I had been working on my PhD in second gear. Consequently, I've been reading up on various time management techniques, and was curious to know how other successful people were able to manage their time.

I think that is fantastic, they sound passionate about what they do, they have found the best way that suits them to go about this. Good on them. No easy feat for any person (male or female) juggling balls..

I am no PhD kid, but I can understand passion for [----insert----] and motivation for whatever it is that floats your boat. I do like to keep my mind stimulated, doing that which I find a challenge and passion for.

So do people on this forum feel that they use every last drop of time productively? Whether it is working towards achieving their goals, or spending quality time with family and friends? I read something interesting last night. Many people (especially investors) are very disciplined with managing their money, but not so when it comes to time, which is a commodity that once spent, we can never get back.

Personally whatever it is that I do is not exclusive to other things in my life, nor family or friends, sometimes you can 'hang out' sometimes not. I just like to make my own choices about my life mostly, my time, what I cram into my body and mind, whom I spend time with, everyone is different, but hopefully we get to make our own choices..

OK, well that’s my musings for tonight....and probably the other reason I don't post on this forum a lot...I can't seem to limit my posts to less than 100 words! lol

Interesting thread Lisa, hope it all goes well for you.:)

I enjoy posting here because there's a lot of things that are discussed which I personally do not know and actually do learn from reading. Learning from people's experiences is far more valuable than reading a textbook

Coffee breaks. Lots of em :) Although I do lurk on forums (not just this one, I'm on several) much more when I am not really occupied by something.

I use my time very poorly at the moment, I have a bunch of stuff I want to do and have been delaying all of it until after we move house, mainly because what I really want to sink my time into needs money and I won't know how much I have left until after we move. Unfortunately the moving date gets set back by 2 months here, 1 week there, 3 months there, and next thing almost a year has snuck by and I STILL haven't got around to weaning that baby so he interrupts me very very regularly too.

Currently expecting to move the weekend after this one, and if anything goes wrong to screw up those plans I am going to be very, very annoyed. 13 months of having a baby that sleeps badly sleeping badly 2 feet away from you in your bedroom is enough to drive any mortal insane. He neeeeeeeeeeeeeds his own bedroom :mad:

I spend way too much of my life listening to hold music on the phone. It's amazing how much you can get done in this time.

I call those teleconferences :D

Just sit back and relax, do some browsing and get into the work. If anyone walks over to my desk I just point to my headset as if I am in deep concentration.

Realistically in a 30min teleconference when there are more than a few participants there are only a few minutes that I need to pay complete attention to.

Well, your Associate Professor fills me with concern. Our bodies are designed for work, rest and play, and if you dont allow that time, eventually I think they shut down either physically or emotionally to force rest. I have seen so many young ambitious mums (myself included) into the trap of trying to achieve a whole lot when they have babies, not take time out before and after giving birth etc. In the end, I think it backfires. In my case, I ended up with depression for 5 years. I achieved a lot but it was not worth it.
I think we need time to be unproductive during the day... that is when our minds and emotions get renewed. I now find its far more "productive" to follow the natural rhythms of life rather than jam-pack my life with activity... to allow time to work, time to play and time to rest (not just sleep, but rest as well). When I do this, I dont need to work as hard to achieve the same results.

i agree with penny. alot of people are not depressed they are burnt out from pushing themselves either by choice or by things that happen in life that are unavoidable. We do have to work rest and play.

though some are more motivated and energised and organised and do manage to push themselves some years or some decades to achieve certain goals.

i like to check in occassionally which could be daily weekly monthly or every few months

but if you actually have a question it can save you time and if you think of posting it as people give great answers that are really helpful.

its always fun, interesting, informative, well worth it i find. alot of people really have alot of hilarious or helpful things to say and help others alot

Bayview hilarious yes you are a lazy loser with no life are you? i dont think so .

Back