Business idea

Hi All

I found this business idea whilst idly surfing. I can't do it because my culinary skills do not extend much past Vegemite on toast (and if you talk to my husband, he'll say that I even burn the toast!)

Here it goes:

There is this guy who offers a great party idea. This is what you do:

You invite 7 of your best friends around for dinner and he cooks for them. But he doesn't just cook for them, he SHOWS them how to do it. Overall it takes 3.5 hours which includes cooking, preparation and eating time. What he also does while he is cooking is show you and your guests how to make it. He also leaves behind complete notes of how to make the dinner. So, it's better than a night out at a restaurant or a dinner party at home. He brings all the ingredients and probably his favourite knives and uses your kitchen. He charges about the same as it would cost to go out to dinner. You communicate with him over email discussing what you want to have cooked, your guests eating quirks and the knob that falls off the oven :)

This would be great for Hens Nights, BBQ's, etc, etc....

This is a good idea for someone who is passionate about cooking (and obviously a good cook) plus someone who has a bit of a personality because that would get your next bookings.

You could start off by marketing it to friends and work colleagues and extend your network from there. Also, it's something that you could do whilst still doing your day job until it established itself.

Does this sound too much like a JOB??? Well, the next step after you had established yourself would be to hire other cooks to do the same thing and pay them by the dinner and keep a cut of what they make.

Deb

PS: The website, if you want to check it out is: http://kurma.net/classes/austwide.html

I think that's a great idea.
My wife has some done some classes where he does his cooking.

who does the washing up ?

"vegetabletarianism" can be very satisfying! Bring on the veggies I say!

Does anyone remember the Metro (vegetarian restaurant in Darlo, Sydney?) You never left that place feeling empty, they had the yummiest food, amazingly inventive courses and great desserts.

Now, the Bodhi near St Mary's Cathedral has excellent veggie yum cha, admittedly it is lighter food, but you can always keep the trolleys rolling!

What are some other favourites in the "vegetabletarianism" department?

Originally posted by peteb
I think that's a great idea.
My wife has some done some classes where he does his cooking.

who does the washing up ?

Aha! Well, there's another idea for a small business. Employ others to do your dirty post dinner party work... :)

Seriously, though.....
I'd LOVE to hear other people's ideas of successful businesses (or ones they think would be successful!) of if they've heard of anyone who's had tremendous results in a small business.

I have an acquaintance who's been very successful in the gift basket business. Gave herself 3 mths as a trial period, works from home, loves what she does and is really content. (but not overworked!) Her baskets are terrific too :)(www.basketville.com.au for anyone who's interested)

There are so many ideas "out there" already, that it sometimes seems as though there isn't room for another product or service! Of course, I know that's not actually true, but I do suffer from advertising overload at times......
Be very interested to hear some success stories and some bright ideas regardless :)

Back