Dog Lovers

I'm a big believer in BARF as well. I make my own. I use raw meat, offal and veggies made into a rissole type texture which I freeze into meal sized portions - I'm sure my Thermomix consultant never thought making petfood was a selling point :).

I add some raw bones to this (chicken necks, wings or lamb/beef/pork offcuts).

Less trumpeting and firmer nuggets on the lawn to pick up :cool:

My dogs eat similar to this. A bone in the morning then rice and veggies for dinner mixed with whatever - offal, chicken necks, kangaroo, canned food or dried food.

Rice helps a lot with the smell factor.

DaveM's idea is a good one too. Just have always made main meal at night for a sense of security/well-being when sun goes down.

btw: There is absolutely no way to stop a gulping dog change his ways.

My youngest was a gulper - would just inhale her food and then choke on it or vomit it afterwards. What I ended up doing to feed her was throw her biscuits over the kitchen floor which was about 16m2 and she's have to pick up each biscuit one by one. Still didn't mean she chewed them though...

Then I noticed she started slowing down and was leaving biscuits behind when she got full which meant I am now at the stage where I leave their food in their bowl and they just eat when they're hungry and I top it up when it gets empty. Works well for us all.... Unless I forget to top up the food bowl but I'm soon woofed at to be told it's empty.

Fantastic dogs Kesse!Great nature,lurve'em...My brother had one and lived over 20yrs!

He has another,old too but runs like a teenager in the paddock :)

Yep, gorgeous inside and out, but then again, I'm biased.... I have english creams so they're more blonde than golden.

My oldest who is over 6 acts like a puppy when he makes a new friend and is often mistaken for one.

I hope I'm lucky enough for my two to live into their 20's!

Years ago, I'm pretty sure we used to give our dogs activated charcoal tablets for this exact problem. A quick google seems to be that it's not an uncommon remedy but probably best to check with a vet to see what they think.

Woof from our weimeraner

10590587_10152191227500544_1265619042460187269_n.jpg

Very cute Westminster and Wattle.

Here's a very rare photo that has Bailey and Bix in the one frame.

Shows their personalities well I reckon. Bailey is always happy and smiley and always wants to hang out with the humans and Bix is Mr Serious with OCD and other issues.

2yy3whh.jpg

A gulper can be helped a bit by doing 2 feeds a day and putting the feed into a large Kong so they have to work to get it out.

Hello, my name is cruiser and i am a guzzle guts (I cant help it)

So now dad feeds me these biscuits with holes in them to slow me down and avoid trapping air.

http://www.equipetstores.com/royal-canin-labrador-retriever-adult.html

And to make it worse I also have to eat them out of a bowl like this which makes it hard for me to gulp down fast and in vast quantities to free up time for my busy schedule.

http://www.walkfidoblog.com/walkfido/2009/09/slow-down-the-chow-down.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 59
Oh so many doggy lovers, this is so good for the soul. Anyone who loves animals has got to be a good person:)

I've noticed dog shaming is popular on the internet. I think it started in the U.S. but I've seen it catching on in Oz.

1398029402aniDogShamingShowerEdition.jpg

dumpaday-funny-pictures-3524.jpg

dumpaday-funny-pictures-3523.jpg

drunk-as-a-dog.jpg

18.jpg

I love the shaming photos - really make me laugh as they are so true.

Anyhow - I find when my dog gets gassy (phew!) he likes to go to the bucket full of empty fireplace ash and eats some of the charcoal. It's like he knows what's good for him.

Have you tried charcoal tablets or do you know anyone with an open fire?

Hey lizzie,

Dogs eat grass when there sick,maybe charcoal is the same deal?

Eg:Humans have been pumped with charcoal in hospital when they've over dosed on tablets etc.

Hi dog lovers,

I made an enquiry at the rspca re:English Staffordshire Terrier(4yr old male)

Has had ear and eye skin issues.

Has behaviour problems too ie:boisterous,doesn't like other dogs,seperation anxiety etc.Though i'm not perturbed as i'll train him.

Before i go down and check him out,anyone had issues with a staff re:ear and eye skin issues?This common for this breed?

Not with staffies but I found my boy seems to be allergic to strong cleaning products that they use in kennels etc.
It might not be that, though.
Probably a less stressful life will be the cure.

He looks sweet.

Love your goldies Kesse! (And you Weimaraner looks gorgeous Westminster!)

We'll be getting another Golden in a couple of years, when our kids are big enough not to drive a puppy crazy! I've had a bit of a poke about online but it seems quite hard to find a good golden retriever breeder near Perth ..

On the gas issue ..we used to feed our dogs dry food only, twice a day, with treats (very small amounts of ham/chicken/cheese a few times a week). No gas issues. I think the brand was Hills. When we got our ruby cavalier pup she smelled so sweet ...almost like chocolate! I'd love to know what the breeder fed her! That didn't last too long and she became a normal level of stinky pretty quickly ...no gas though!!

An eye problem that my dog had was entropian which is the rolling in of the eyelid - generally the bottom. Look carefully at deep set eyes to ensure that the eyelashes aren't rolling in and annoying the eyes - it can cause irritation, extra weeping, eye infections etc. It can be fixed by surgery but best to avoid a dog that has that.

There are plenty of staffies in the pound. I would steer clear of one who has health issues if possible

Back