Unmarked Police motorbikes (Perth)

really can't comprehend the number of people who continue to drive and text or have a convo on the phone nowadays.

Haven't they heard of dash mounts, voice activation and Bluetooth? My daily commute is about 50 minutes each way, pretty easy to make and receive calls and dictate and send texts all via voice command without the need to take my eyes off the road.

Are you taking the ****?

Some of your moaning is of a pretty impressive level, congrats

ha ha. Doesn't bother me so much I just feel bad for the kids, I was worried they would be out of control, they were so dam boring I felt like saying for petes sake do some shots and go crazy or something you only live once. have noticed that with a lot of younger people they are pretty weak and submissive, which I believe is a phenomena of the screen age

really can't comprehend the number of people who continue to drive and text or have a convo on the phone nowadays.

Haven't they heard of dash mounts, voice activation and Bluetooth? My daily commute is about 50 minutes each way, pretty easy to make and receive calls and dictate and send texts all via voice command without the need to take my eyes off the road.

can't see how it is any less distracting tbh

no it's the constant checking of the speedo, the fixed cameras, making sure you don't go 1km over the limit (because we know what a public menace that would create on such a narrow windy road like the graham farmer or the mitchell) - I spend a great deal of my attention scanning the road side for mobile cameras and speed traps. Or preparing to slam the brakes on as a stream of traffic is disrupted by a revenue raiser on the side of road

So you admit to speeding then, or just being neurotically careful?

So you admit to speeding then, or just being neurotically careful?

not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from that statement

anyway both is the answer, you have to be. speed cameras and hopeless drivers are just another road hazard to deal with

the problem with the ideology that 'speed kills' is that people assume the reverse holds true - and that is why the road system is such a mess. they also blindly believe that speed limits are set in accordance with some sort of considered assessment

not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from that statement

anyway both is the answer, you have to be. speed cameras and hopeless drivers are just another road hazard to deal with

How are speed cameras a hazard if you're driving legally?

How are speed cameras a hazard if you're driving legally?

because to achieve that the driver is fixating on the wrong issue - it's not the number on the speedo that matters, people need to think for themselves but they can't, you can drive like a moron and so long as you don't exceed the posted limit no one will die.

Surprises me how few people use cruise control. Solves any issue about having to constantly look at speedo or watch for cameras.

agreed. heading to the south west it is essential, can guarantee at least one camera...peak times I think I have counted about 8

I find I have to constantly adjust it when you catch up to the slowies, unless its a quiet road

This can be problematic. Autonomous cars is the answer. 150km/hr speed limits on freeways/highways, no one is allowed hands on wheels or feet on pedals, everyone does same speed. i-robot style.

This can be problematic. Autonomous cars is the answer. 150km/hr speed limits on freeways/highways, no one is allowed hands on wheels or feet on pedals, everyone does same speed. i-robot style.

This is not as funny as it may sound to some.

In fact I believe speeding should be controlled by GPS chips in the roofs of all cars. It'll happen one day.
Automatic speed fines without the presence of any cops in sight.
Be a game person to take that on and try and beat it.
Then the cops can go about their business of chasing the real crims

I think in our times we will see many new tech advances in this space of dealing with roads and traffic.

Maybe they can come up with a "Roo proof paint" or guide posts for the sides of country roads...that would be something!:D

Automatic speed fines without the presence of any cops in sight.

This has been discussed a lot recently on many tech forums, because although technically very easy to do, the devil is in the detail when it comes to deciding how to penalise the driver.

Scenario: you're driving at 115 in a 110 zone, and you maintain that speed for, say, 20 minutes. What speeding infringements should you receive? One ticket the moment the car exceeded 115; or repeat tickets ever couple of minutes? If the latter, a driver could easily lose all points on their license.

Generally, it's easier to use the GPS to limit the car's speed (i.e., restrict the driver's ability to exceed the limit) than it is to issue infringement notices.

Then the game will begin as prestige and luxury car makers make expensive navigation systems that are uber-accurate, so that their cars can be just that little bit faster than the plebs, but still be legal.

no it's the constant checking of the speedo, the fixed cameras, making sure you don't go 1km over the limit (because we know what a public menace that would create on such a narrow windy road like the graham farmer or the mitchell) - I spend a great deal of my attention scanning the road side for mobile cameras and speed traps. Or preparing to slam the brakes on as a stream of traffic is disrupted by a revenue raiser on the side of road
Sorry; no sympathy.

All you need to do is train yourself to drive at speed limits and observe speed limit signs...not hard; and is your responsibility.

When you've managed that; no need to be "looking over your shoulder" for speed cameras etc and looking for someone else to blame for you "inattention".

Surprises me how few people use cruise control. Solves any issue about having to constantly look at speedo or watch for cameras.
I try to use it in our Kluger on the freeways and longer drives, but I find that in the end I am constantly having to adjust the stick to work in with fluctuation speeds of traffic - it's virtually a waste of time.

I don't use it to set the speed to avoid speeding fines (see previous post) - I use it to try and not have to have my foot on the accelerator for long periods.

Incidentally; I went through one of those speed check contraptions on the freeway coming back from S.A a few weeks ago. The speed limit was 110km's (I made sure I was exactly on 110 when I went past the check point, and the read-out on the screen above the road said $106km/h.

the problem with the ideology that 'speed kills' is that people assume the reverse holds true - and that is why the road system is such a mess. they also blindly believe that speed limits are set in accordance with some sort of considered assessment
I would assume this to be the case, otherwise we might see 100m/h limits in front of schools?

I do agree in part that some limits seem ridiculously anally over-protective...60km/h on a 2-lane in each direction road in a relatively low built-up area with very little evidence of pedestrian traffic, etc...

Amazingly, this is where you often see "safety" cameras. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back