Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

I just try and eat healthily most of the time (home cooking helps do the trick), don't eat till i'm stuffed, and get in some exercise nearly every day. This is really all that's needed...

and my serviing sizes are now actually measured - not just guessed. It is surprising how small a serve of anything actually is.
So nothing like their 'a cup of steamed veggies is one serving' or whatever claptrap they spout on the 2&5 promos. I've always thought those servings were so massive I'd expand exponentially if I took up that diet.

I just eat what I want to eat, whenever I feel like eating it. It works for me. Fortunately the allergy to junk food means I don't want to eat it in the first place because I know I'll feel sick.

The last kilo doesn't want to go away though although it is slowly disappearing and my nice new jeans that were a perfect fit a few weeks ago are starting to get loose, which sucks because this means I have to take a trip to Adelaide to find a store that sells a good fit jean in my size because the local jeans shop (jeanswest) doesn't stock small sizes. Jeans manufacturers don't exactly cater to us curvy people, if you wear jeans you're supposed to be straight up and down.

Ya think ahead and ambitiously with the jeans thing RE , buy em smaller baby.:D

My last 3 kilos doesn't wanna go and now I have a wittle pot . Before it all blended in and I was just a bit on the heavy side. Why is the mid section the last to go.

NO - I'm not doing 7,000 crunches !

My old jeans were just that tiny bit too small and my post-pregnant jeans were flapping around everywhere so I just had to have new jeans that actually looked GOOD after months of wearing clothes that were too big :( As it is I'm still wearing tops that are too big just because its too hard to get the boobs out of anything tight. And of course my bra isn't even close to being a good fit (too big) and I'm getting a bit beyond caring there, its just not worth bothering finding a maternity bra that fits properly when I really should be thinking about weaning the baby, although that's probably not going to happen any time soon, he does like his boobies.

1kg is actually really hard to tell if its gone or not, just a drink plus dinner would probably weigh a kilo on its own. Or going to the toilet, or coming out of the shower with wet hair ... and our scales are crap so I don't trust them.

That last kilo has gone when I fit back into my old jeans :)

Hubby has lost 11kg in 3 weeks on the Dukan diet.

It's pretty incredible really, how quickly his body has responded to the change in diet. The kgs are just melting off him. I'd definitely recommend it. It's not a balanced diet (at least, not in the first two phases), but the health benefits of reducing his weight by 20kgs far outweigh any short term dietry deficiences.

Hubby has lost 11kg in 3 weeks on the Dukan diet.

It's pretty incredible really, how quickly his body has responded to the change in diet. The kgs are just melting off him. I'd definitely recommend it. It's not a balanced diet (at least, not in the first two phases), but the health benefits of reducing his weight by 20kgs far outweigh any short term dietry deficiences.

Had a quick look at it Luce

Link

1.Attack. Eating protein exclusively for up to seven days, including meat, fish and non-fat dairy products.

2.Cruise. You can have unlimited vegetables during this period, where you alternate protein-only days with vegetable and protein days.

3.Consolidation. During the consolidation period, eat protein and vegetables every day. Add one piece of fruit, two slices of bread and a serving of cheese each day. Have a couple of starchy meals (such as pasta or risotto) each week as well as a couple of celebration meals where you eat what you like.

4.Stabilisation. There's one rule during stabilisation: only eat protein on Thursdays. Everything else can be eaten without restriction

and

The theory behind the plan

The brainchild of neurologist *Dr Dukan, this protein-based plan was invented after an obese patient asked for a diet that would really work for a change. The patient’s only request was that he had to be *allowed to eat meat.

Dr Dukan told the man to eat nothing but protein and drink plenty of water – then come back in a week. When the patient returned a full 10lb *lighter just five days later, Dukan knew he’d created a pretty effective diet.

As a food lover himself (he is French, after all!) Dukan was keen to avoid a miserable diet consisting of nothing but salads.

Instead, he promises serious weight loss while still *enjoying unlimited quantities of food.

The Dukan plan *kick-starts your metabolism with a short attack phase of eating *unlimited quantities of meat, fish and low-fat dairy, then *moving on to three *increasingly less strict *phases.

Why it’s so effective

● Unlike most diets, Dukan’s not obsessed with calories

As the doctor says: “Calorie counting sets quotas, doses and portions, but it forgets that the people having to follow it are flesh and blood.

“Yes, the most motivated ones may manage to lose weight, but almost all of them will eventually put it back on.”

● Eating protein helps you burn fat – fast!

Ounce for ounce, proteins are *relatively low in calories when compared to fats and carbs, plus their complex structure means they’re harder to digest.

As a result you burn up more calories processing proteins than any other food, and weight loss is inevitable and swift.

● It could keep you slim for life

According to Dukan, there’s one key reason why diets so often fail in the long term and people end up putting all the weight back on.

“Fad diets may make you lose weight faster but your body reacts to changes in eating habits *quickly,” he explains.

“It’s a survival tactic. If you skip meals, next time you eat your body will become a sponge and absorb 100% of calories instead of 70%.”

To combat this, the third stage of the Dukan Diet – the Consolidation Phase – provides an important *period of transition between strict dieting and a return to normal eating.

And according to Dr Dukan, stick to his maintenance plan and you’ll stay slim forever...

Why it beats Atkins

Dr Dukan believes his plan is better than the other high-fat diet.

“Atkins cuts out *carbohydrates, focusing on fat and protein, which can lead to high cholesterol.

“For my plan to work, you have to eat minimum fat and *then carbs are reintroduced gradually.”

Still looks complex though looking at some of the meal plans on the site?

Glad to read your hubby is doping well with the first Phase..gotta be happy with the 11kg loss :D

At the end of thye day it's not magic, just numbers

Still looks complex though looking at some of the meal plans on the site?

Glad to read your hubby is doping well with the first Phase..gotta be happy with the 11kg loss :D

Actually, it's not that complicated. The meal plans are mainly for people who have a problem with feeling bored by so much protein. You know, they try to mix it up by adding different herbs and spices, or cooking it a different way. But you definitely don't have to follow any meal plan. The diet couldn't be simpler, really:

Phase 1:

beef/veal - lean cuts only
chicken/turkey - breast only

no lamb
no pork

all fish - if canned, can't be packed in oil, or any sauce with sugars (vinegar and spices are fine)

all no-fat, no-sugar dairy

eggs - 1 yolk per day, unlimited whites

Phase 2:

Veggies allowed every second day. All veggies are allowed except potatoes and avocadoes (basically).

Other than this, you have to eat 2 tablespoons of oat bran a day to keep yourself regular, and you can use any herbs and spices in your cooking, but no oil.

Easy!

Actually, it's not that complicated. The meal plans are mainly for people who have a problem with feeling bored by so much protein. You know, they try to mix it up by adding different herbs and spices, or cooking it a different way. But you definitely don't have to follow any meal plan. The diet couldn't be simpler, really:

Phase 1:

no lamb
no pork

all fish - if canned, can't be packed in oil, or any sauce with sugars (vinegar and spices are fine)

Phase 2:

Veggies allowed every second day. All veggies are allowed except potatoes and avocadoes (basically).

Other than this, you have to eat 2 tablespoons of oat bran a day to keep yourself regular, and you can use any herbs and spices in your cooking, but no oil.

Easy!

Avocados are really good for you, they are full of healthy monounsaturated fats. You should eat them daily!

Potatoes are not good at all, in fact if a person is serious about losing weight and keeping it off, DROP POTATO CHIPS, FRIES and MASH out of your diet for EVER.

Yep, I eat avocado every day without fail.....yum!!

So, what's wrong with them luce...?:confused:

There's nothing wrong with them - I eat them a few times a week! They're super-healthy. But the Dukan diet is very restrictive in the fist two phases and avocados are just one of many, many foods that aren't allowed, including other healthy foods like legumes, fruits and nuts. These foods, while healthy, have more (natural) sugars, carbohydrates and fats, and they aren't allowed in the first 2 phases.

There's nothing wrong with them - I eat them a few times a week! They're super-healthy. But the Dukan diet is very restrictive in the fist two phases and avocados are just one of many, many foods that aren't allowed, including other healthy foods like legumes, fruits and nuts. These foods, while healthy, have more (natural) sugars, carbohydrates and fats, and they aren't allowed in the first 2 phases.

Actually I recently read that pretty much all grains should be avoided as they can be neurotoxic and make you put on weight.

So while everyone knows white bread is out (turns to sugar in your body immediately and feeds cancer) multigrain and even rye breads are not much better.

Basically if you are fat, do not eat grains (bread, wheat pasta, white rice).

Wheat is also full of gluten which many people are allergic to and it causes all sorts of problems from mental to physical.

However buckwheat is amazing, slightly roasted organic buckwheat is very good in every way.

Actually I recently read that pretty much all grains should be avoided as they can be neurotoxic and make you put on weight.

So while everyone knows white bread is out (turns to sugar in your body immediately and feeds cancer) multigrain and even rye breads are not much better.

Basically if you are fat, do not eat grains (bread, wheat pasta, white rice).

Wheat is also full of gluten which many people are allergic to and it causes all sorts of problems from mental to physical.

However buckwheat is amazing, slightly roasted organic buckwheat is very good in every way.

Does that include sourdough and the like ?

My old jeans were just that tiny bit too small and my post-pregnant jeans were flapping around everywhere so I just had to have new jeans that actually looked GOOD after months of wearing clothes that were too big :( As it is I'm still wearing tops that are too big just because its too hard to get the boobs out of anything tight. And of course my bra isn't even close to being a good fit (too big) and I'm getting a bit beyond caring there, its just not worth bothering finding a maternity bra that fits properly when I really should be thinking about weaning the baby, although that's probably not going to happen any time soon, he does like his boobies.

1kg is actually really hard to tell if its gone or not, just a drink plus dinner would probably weigh a kilo on its own. Or going to the toilet, or coming out of the shower with wet hair ... and our scales are crap so I don't trust them.

That last kilo has gone when I fit back into my old jeans :)

Aaah , my pregnant jeans done't fit either - hang on :eek:, me wife had the baby that's right , but eh I was there :D
Hey , if she had the baby , what the hells goen on with my jeans then :confused:

Anyway , sounds like your doing great RE.

Cheers

Suppose to avoid everything these days aren't you though, laughing , sex, fun , all no good, you'll be struck down :eek:

Really, everywhere you look someone's claiming this or that,I don't buy it or the obese thing. Just more hysteria - epidemic - Australian media small town rubbish. People live longer than ever so.
You didn't need to go to lower class areas to see plumpy oldies when I was a kid ,seemed typical and they wouldn't of dreamed of doing some walking thing either , now they all do it and they're thin. And every school had chubby's , life. Hard to find on average without a search now though, I take it as media/come stats on everything now garbage to be honest..
Seen school carry on now , their canteens , they're worse than the damn media. Our canteen stocked the lot didn't hurt us but all my kids can buy is fruit, health bars, health smoothies,more hysteria .

Me I go the French - eat what you want because it's real food but in true Australian form , we carry on about quality yet our food just interfered with, packaged crap, covered in chemicals , GM , and definitely not fresh.They reckon that's the real difference and why they don't put on weight.
But that's all against the law here , one of my brothers is trying set up what "we" call an organic market garden. You should see the absolute bs, he's not even aloud to deliver fresh eggs' veggies in he's ute down to the local shops - there, Asia, many, that's normal life , via wheel barrows , trollies , push bikes , staright from the garden or ocean, 10x "real" and fresh anything we buy here.
Why should so called here , "organic" , cost double everything else too with none of the expensive crap on it of normally supplied food, because they do to it what they do to my brothers market garden, such bs, just Australia burying itself in it's own bs again.

The Asians , live on rice/grains,veggies, but it's "real", fresh, food, some of the healthiest people in the world so I dunno.
It's crazy stuff here.

Last edited:

Phase 1:

no lamb
no pork

Phase 2:

Easy!

Just had a look back on this thread on the Dukan diet as one of the guys at work has "gone Dukan" and dropped about 5kg over the week in phase 1

He's commented he feels lethargic though with the change in diet, then again he rides regularly with a group of cyclists (140km last outing I think)

the problem with the dukan diet and most diets that rely on excessive restriction is that they are not sustainable in the long term. Most of the weight loss in the first few weeks is probaly fluid loss. After a while your body gets into a starved state, you have a binge, revert to your usual diet and gain the weight again over a variable amount of time.

Dieting in the long term contributes to yo-yoing weight and at the end of 10 years most people weigh more than if they had not dieted. Look at Oprah. The same happens in bulemics. You actually end up fatter by starving yourself as the binge that results from being starved is a lot more calories than if you eat normally.

Putting in place simple strategies that are not too arduous and which you can sustain for 10 YEARS, like exercising in an enjoyable activity 3 times per week for half an hour and having a heart healthy (low saturated fat etc) diet is likely to result in weighing less than going on repeated extreme diets over a 10 year period.

Does that include sourdough and the like ?
Was reading up that slower fermented breads (eg sourdough) and grains soaked overnight removes a lot of the 'issues' with them, same way fermented soy products are way better than the modern raw stuff. Its the modern techniques that cause some of the problems with grains.

Agriculture and grains have been going on for centuries and people didn't get fat, so just look at what's changed in the last 50 years. Just the process, everything being so heavily refined and FAST. And of course portion size.

Suppose to avoid everything these days aren't you though, laughing , sex, fun , all no good, you'll be struck down :eek:

Really, everywhere you look someone's claiming this or that,I don't buy it or the obese thing. Just more hysteria - epidemic - Australian media small town rubbish. People live longer than ever so.
You didn't need to go to lower class areas to see plumpy oldies when I was a kid ,seemed typical and they wouldn't of dreamed of doing some walking thing either , now they all do it and they're thin. And every school had chubby's , life. Hard to find on average without a search now though, I take it as media/come stats on everything now garbage to be honest..
Seen school carry on now , their canteens , they're worse than the damn media. Our canteen stocked the lot didn't hurt us but all my kids can buy is fruit, health bars, health smoothies,more hysteria .

Me I go the French - eat what you want because it's real food but in true Australian form , we carry on about quality yet our food just interfered with, packaged crap, covered in chemicals , GM , and definitely not fresh.They reckon that's the real difference and why they don't put on weight.
But that's all against the law here , one of my brothers is trying set up what "we" call an organic market garden. You should see the absolute bs, he's not even aloud to deliver fresh eggs' veggies in he's ute down to the local shops - there, Asia, many, that's normal life , via wheel barrows , trollies , push bikes , staright from the garden or ocean, 10x "real" and fresh anything we buy here.
Why should so called here , "organic" , cost double everything else too with none of the expensive crap on it of normally supplied food, because they do to it what they do to my brothers market garden, such bs, just Australia burying itself in it's own bs again.

The Asians , live on rice/grains,veggies, but it's "real", fresh, food, some of the healthiest people in the world so I dunno.
It's crazy stuff here.

Agree with you 100%.

Was reading up that slower fermented breads (eg sourdough) and grains soaked overnight removes a lot of the 'issues' with them, same way fermented soy products are way better than the modern raw stuff. Its the modern techniques that cause some of the problems with grains.

Agriculture and grains have been going on for centuries and people didn't get fat, so just look at what's changed in the last 50 years. Just the process, everything being so heavily refined and FAST. And of course portion size.

True. They remove vitamins and minerals from bread to make white bread flour so it lasts longer on the shelves of supermarkets so maggets and mould won't eat it but people will. Garbage in, garbage out.

Back