Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

Start Moving! Sitting Can Reduce Your Life Expectancy​

Have always found this stuff interesting:
The people inhabiting Blue Zones share common lifestyle characteristics that contribute to their longevity. The Venn diagram [below] highlights the following six shared characteristics among the people of Okinawa, Sardinia, and Loma Linda Blue Zones:[8]
Family: put ahead of other concerns
Less smoking
Semi-vegetarianism: except for the Sardinian diet, the majority of food consumed is derived from plants
Constant moderate physical activity: an inseparable part of life
Social engagement: people of all ages are socially active and integrated into their communities
Legumes: commonly consumed (Dan Buettner's book, Thrive)

Attachments

• Vendiagram.gif
    Vendiagram.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 79
Laziness and self-control.
Fixed that for you.

Takes the same time to prepare/eat the right foods as it does to eat the wrong food.

pinkboy
And... ha! It turns out you were completely wrong and I'm not lazy or lacking in self-control... phew! Right? But I do appreciate you pointing that out :p

It turns out all I was lacking was preparation and planning. Since your motivating post, each day I have made an eating plan and plan to make sure I have the food to eat. I have found it very easy to stick to with 2 exceptions in a couple of weeks. First was a movember morning tea that I didn't plan for because I didn't know that it was on. The second time was when I didn't know when dinner would be and picked until dinner time. It doesn't bother me. I would rather "blow out" twice in a couple of weeks than a couple of times a day. Having gone through the process of planned eating, I can see that the only real issue I had before was unplanned eating. Now that I have my unplanned eating under control, my overall nutrition is fine in balance and volume. I feel great too, so thanks for that! :D

And... ha! It turns out you were completely wrong and I'm not lazy or lacking in self-control... phew! Right? But I do appreciate you pointing that out :p

It turns out all I was lacking was preparation and planning. Since your motivating post, each day I have made an eating plan and plan to make sure I have the food to eat. I have found it very easy to stick to with 2 exceptions in a couple of weeks. First was a movember morning tea that I didn't plan for because I didn't know that it was on. The second time was when I didn't know when dinner would be and picked until dinner time. It doesn't bother me. I would rather "blow out" twice in a couple of weeks than a couple of times a day. Having gone through the process of planned eating, I can see that the only real issue I had before was unplanned eating. Now that I have my unplanned eating under control, my overall nutrition is fine in balance and volume. I feel great too, so thanks for that! :D

To all my cycling buddies Im known as 'NegaCoach' (Negative Coaching). I lightheartedly dig at them when they upload their rides (Strava - kind of like Facebook for cyclists/Runners) or when we are out on the bike etc.

NegaCoach brings the best out of you through negative reinforcement, ridicule, humiliation, emotional torment and harsh criticism.

Basically I tell people 'You Suck!' :D. It is solely banter, but to the highest degree! Tough love - without the love. I have however, through this lighthearted banter, got people motivated to go the extra mile. Example: When someone uploads a ride and they have done for instance 94km or something, I let rip about how soft they are for not getting to 100km etc etc. So now, not wanting to be on the end of a social torment amonst friends, many are rounding up to get to a neat number, or getting over the 3hr mark, or climbing x amount of metres elevation etc! Nothing pleases NegaCoach, but they try.

So the moral of the whle story is; sometimes we need to see a critisism or a reality check to see the perspective of another to get that light bulb moment.

Not saying you needed that (because we all know that some people around here are a little precious and probably couldnt handle a NegaCoach in their lives), but some people dont get motivated until they have been told what others really think - and I like to ask the questions that others wont, or tell it how it is.

My explanation has probably confused the hell out of you, and lost in the context, but good on you for getting a move on with your eating.

pinkboy

Last edited:
Not saying you needed that...
Well... I might have a little bit ... :D

My explanation has probably confused the hell out of you, and lost in the context, ...
Not really, it made perfect sense to me. Should I be worried? :confused: :)

but good on you for getting a move on with your eating. pinkboy
Cheers and I am sticking to it too. It is surprisingly easy to stick to once I have planned ahead. I feel a bit dense I didn't stumble onto such a simple solution (for me) before now. I planned my education, I have planned my career, I have planned my real estate investing and I plan my exercise. Why not plan what I eat too? :eek:

What can you lift & what is your body fat presently?

170kg but the talking scales at work tell me one at a time please, I feel in shape but don't look it (round is a shape right) ;)

I'll go with 20% +/- for bodyfat (no idea)

images

Bring on Negacoach :O)

Ugh! I really need some pinkboy tough love.

On the food side, things have been going great. I have been planning what to eat and eating what I plan. All very good.

I ride to work and home most days, which takes care of a quota of aerobic exercise.

Where I really need some tough love is resistance training. I have a really great gym set up in the house will all the equipment I need for proper workouts. Except I haven't used it. Not even once. I just can't seem get motivated. Thoughts?

A surefire way is to pay a trainer to come to your place to do a few sessions.
Keep doing this until you can do it yourself.
Otherwise, just keep paying for somebody to keep you honest.

currently between 13-15% (let you decide). 18 months ago 32%. actually lift quite light but do a lot of time under tension and hypertrophy. goal is 10%

(note : don't know how to rotate a picture here haha)

Attachments

• 20150127_133750.jpg
    20150127_133750.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 99
A surefire way is to pay a trainer to come to your place to do a few sessions.
Keep doing this until you can do it yourself.
Otherwise, just keep paying for somebody to keep you honest.
You just gave me an idea that will work. I'll just look up the price of personal training sessions. That's all the motivation I need to get into the gym. I'll report back on Monday ;)

We all know by now that weight gain happens when more calories are consumed than are burned.

To lose weight, you most burn more calories than you take in or consume fewer calories overall. Weight loss programs typically focus on either reducing calories or increasing activity, or a combination of the two.
no, no, no, no - wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

I heard a chick on ABC radio today talking about obesity being caused by a genetic disorder or some shoat.

Key word being GENETIC.

So there.

It's amazing; back in the '50's and '60's the amount of fat people could almost be counted on one hand on any given day.

But, miraculously; in a few short generations; IT'S GENETIC, FOLKS!!!

:rolleyes:

Now; here's an interesting observation; on the recent show "I'm a Celebrity, get me outta here!" All the contestants are existing basically on beans and rice, water and the odd hard-won extra meal at night which consists of a small amount of meat, fruit and vegetables.

They are not required to do anything strenuous, rigorous - they can pretty much sloth around all day long in the heat, if they wish.

And yet; after a week out in the jungle, almost everyone has lost weight- the biggest folks have lost the most, while the more "in shape" ones look more gaunt around the cheeks and eyes etc.

Genetics, indeed.

Last edited:
You just gave me an idea that will work. I'll just look up the price of personal training sessions. That's all the motivation I need to get into the gym. I'll report back on Monday ;)

There's a PT here who has group training sessions that is $5 for a 1 hr session - I find it to be a good motivator and cheap too. I'm sure there would be something similar where you are?

There's a PT here who has group training sessions that is $5 for a 1 hr session - I find it to be a good motivator and cheap too. I'm sure there would be something similar where you are?
I really just need the motivation to use the excellent equipment I already have in my own house. Cost is a great motivator for me, so I just need to look up some prices next time I feel like I should work out and that will be all the motivation I need. Once I start I won't have any problems keeping it going. It's just initial push that I need.

I really just need the motivation to use the excellent equipment I already have in my own house. Cost is a great motivator for me, so I just need to look up some prices next time I feel like I should work out and that will be all the motivation I need. Once I start I won't have any problems keeping it going. It's just initial push that I need.

I'll save you the trouble of looking it up. My son is a very well qualified trainer who works out of a local gym. He charges his clients $80 per half an hour and pays the gym owner 40%. Ie if the trainer comes to you and you use your own facilities it would be $40 for half an hour.

Last edited:
I'll save you the trouble of looking it up. My son is a very well qualified trainer who works out of a local gym. He charges his clients $100 per hour and pays the gym owner 40%. Ie if the trainer comes to you and you use your own facilities it would be $60 per hour.
Cheers. I just need to see it in black and white to motivate me. Actually, I think my workout routine is pretty old. I should probably pay one of my mates, who is a qualified exercise physiologist, to come around and update it for me.

Hi Perthguy

Great effort on the diet and aerobic exercising.

If you're a competative person perhaps set workout targets.

Hi Perthguy

Great effort on the diet and aerobic exercising.

If you're a competative person perhaps set workout targets.
I am not very competitive. Not setting out to set any world records. Just want to increase (particularly) upper body strength, which ATM is pretty pathetic. I just needed a kick up the butt to get going again.

I am not very competitive. Not setting out to set any world records. Just want to increase (particularly) upper body strength, which ATM is pretty pathetic. I just needed a kick up the butt to get going again.
Consider yourself kicked.

Get off the keyboard, get outside, do 500 pushups and 100 tricep dips, then go for a 5k jog.

MOVE IT, MISTER!!! :D

No workout but I did my first running workout of the year. I added it up in my head and got the maths wrong so I set the wrong workout in my running watch. Consequently, it was a lot more difficult to finish than expected by I got there, so :p

I seem to have lost basically all my running fitness, so I found this difficult too complete: 5 minute warm up, 1:30 jogging + 60 sec walking (repeat 8 times), 5 minute cool down. Still good to get the first one over.

Back