Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

I was reading an article in the reader's digest last night about Italy has so many 100+ , percentage wise.
They agree it is because they ate less, didn't do strenuous exercise, just normal everyday stuff.

Kathryn, I think their 'normal everyday stuff' is very different to our 'normal every day stuff'.

I'm guessing you're talking work.

Take veggies, nuts and fruit to work on a Monday, how much time would that take?

There's enough nuts, fruits and vegetables already at work, why take more?

I was reading an article in the reader's digest last night about Italy has so many 100+ , percentage wise.
They agree it is because they ate less, didn't do strenuous exercise, just normal everyday stuff.
Doesn't seem to be any magic pill....just the need to not buy junk..except for an occassional treat.

I wonder if the cooler weather plays a part also, perishables last longer in the fridge :confused:

There's enough nuts, fruits and vegetables already at work, why take more?
Zing! :)

I wonder if the cooler weather plays a part also, perishables last longer in the fridge :confused:
Actually, "research" into longevity indicates that people in warmer climates ("The Blue Zones") live longer that those in cooler climates.

In 2004, Dan Buettner teamed up with National Geographic and the world?s best longevity researchers to identify pockets around the world where people lived measurably better. In these Blue Zones they found that people reach age 100 at rates 10 times greater than in the United States.
http://www.bluezones.com/2014/03/blue-zones-history/

* I'm not sure how rigorous or scientific the "research" is. The whole web site reads like a marketing stunt to sell books and other materials.

Thanks Perthguy

4e706d62e9fb9.image.jpg

Apparently being a 7th Day Adventist is an advantage also (Loma Linda, California) :confused:

Longer telomere length is a predictor of a longer life. Is it human growth hormone that keeps your telomeres long?

I did some googling today...and they are taking DNA and tissue samples from old people.
They seem to have something that is protecting them from cancer and diabetes.

Apparently being a 7th Day Adventist is an advantage also :

Adventists live longer because they do not smoke or drink alcohol, or consume coffee, tea, cola, they believe in abstinence for both men and women before marriage, and they all maintain a healthy, low-fat vegetarian diet that is rich in nuts and beans

I'm certain that even if they didn't live longer, it would certainly seem like it.:D

See ya's,

My grandma is 103, hasn't eaten meat in over 30 years as it gives her headachs and is still kicken. Lives at home, no walking stick, cooks, cleans and bakes me the best cakes! So the theory that you need to eat x amount of meat per day is BS!!

Using a single example to extrapolate out to the entire world is a bit spurious.

The oldest living person on record smoked and drank right up until she died. So using your analogy, suggestions that smoking and drinking are bad for you is BS!

My grandma is 103, hasn't eaten meat in over 30 years as it gives her headachs and is still kicken. Lives at home, no walking stick, cooks, cleans and bakes me the best cakes! So the theory that you need to eat x amount of meat per day is BS!!

I think longevity is in the genes. Let's hope you have your grandma's genes.

I think longevity is in the genes. Let's hope you have your grandma's genes.

My mother could have lived a longer, and had a better quality of life..if she had given up smoking.

Both of her parents were in their 90's when they died. (non-smokers)
Instead she got macular degeneration of the eyes, had a heart attack, mini strokes, dementia, and finally died earlier this year.

I think the only thing that got her to 84 yrs old, was the fact she actually ate pretty nutritious foods. Did mind exercises (lexicons, crosswords, watched game shows) and wasn't over weight by more than 5 kgs.

I never understand people.
My older brother was her care giver for the past 8 years...and he still smokes.

Sorry about your mum Kathryn. Yes, smoking is definitely not good. But, for whatever reason, there are some who manage to defy the odds--they live well into their 90s having smoked, drunk and eaten unhealthily. My girlfriend's mother is a perfect example. She's 94, still lives at home, has smoked all her life, doesn't eat well, but has never had high blood pressure and has no health issues. Go figure.

Sorry about your mum Kathryn. Yes, smoking is definitely not good. But, for whatever reason, there are some who manage to defy the odds--they live well into their 90s having smoked, drunk and eaten unhealthily. My girlfriend's mother is a perfect example. She's 94, still lives at home, has smoked all her life, doesn't eat well, but has never had high blood pressure and has no health issues. Go figure.

You are right of course...my mother's example just annoys me. She could have had 15 more quality years.
She knew better than this.

Her older sister is 86- never smoked, was always a bit overweight (not now)but never ate very much junk or restaurant food.

Her younger brother is 82....ex truckie, so smoked a lot, ate terrible...has had some health problems...but for the most part, still quite healthy.

Studies showed that during the 1930's Great Depression, when their food intake was reduced their life expectancy actually increased .
Animal studies were done, and this was confirmed.
They have tried it with apes, and so far it really hasn't increased their lifespan, but it improve their health, in their latter years.

Doesn't seem to be any magic pill....just the need to not buy junk..except for an occassional treat.

I think you're onto something here Kathryn. We certainly don't want to be aping the ancestors that died at 30 but it's going to be interesting to see whether we can get as far as our grandparents have. Those lucky enough to get 3 meals a day never ate much more than that. Must've been doing something right.
My 2 bob bit: cars, takeaways and the biggest one, too long getting to work, being at work, getting home from work and thinking about work. Really old people often say they worked hard but it was a different kind of work.
The map of Centurians shows certain latitudes, doesn't it. Combined with seaside/island life. Plus, apart from California, not a history of prosperity.

BTW- if you know that you're addicted to something and know that someone telling you to pull your socks up doesn't work, then you know that you can't do it by yourself. It's still up to you though to take the next step. But don't keep trying to do it by yourself because you already know that doesn't work. To persist with what works for some but doesn't work for others is only going to drive you around the bend. In other words, Somersoft may inspire some to get fit and lose weight and others... nuh - could just make you want to eat more. So stop going to the butcher for bread.

I think you're onto something here Kathryn. We certainly don't want to be aping the ancestors that died at 30 but it's going to be interesting to see whether we can get as far as our grandparents have. Those lucky enough to get 3 meals a day never ate much more than that. Must've been doing something right.
My 2 bob bit: cars, takeaways and the biggest one, too long getting to work, being at work, getting home from work and thinking about work. Really old people often say they worked hard but it was a different kind of work.
The map of Centurians shows certain latitudes, doesn't it. Combined with seaside/island life. Plus, apart from California, not a history of prosperity.

BTW- if you know that you're addicted to something and know that someone telling you to pull your socks up doesn't work, then you know that you can't do it by yourself. It's still up to you though to take the next step. But don't keep trying to do it by yourself because you already know that doesn't work. To persist with what works for some but doesn't work for others is only going to drive you around the bend. In other words, Somersoft may inspire some to get fit and lose weight and others... nuh - could just make you want to eat more. So stop going to the butcher for bread.

Rob and I like to occasionally stop at random cemeteries, and the view the old headstones especially.
Really, if you can get past the first 5 years, after birth, there were a LOT of old people.
Considering they didn't have antibiotics, that is quite a feat.

As you say, it probably had a lot to do with their lifestyle.
Solitude, so when someone was sick...you just didn't catch what they had.
Fruit and vegetables..with a bit of fish/meat.

Most of their jobs, where at home..usually on the farm.
As you say, they didn't have the travel/ commute to work.

On that note, I am the first generation in my family to actually work at a desk all day. My parents, and their parents, and so on were all "blue collar" workers.

I imagine its the same for a lot of people. Unless your family line were all aristocrats or clerks, you're likely to be among the first few generations to sit on your *** at work for 10 hours a day.

On that note, I am the first generation in my family to actually work at a desk all day. My parents, and their parents, and so on were all "blue collar" workers.

I imagine its the same for a lot of people. Unless your family line were all aristocrats or clerks, you're likely to be among the first few generations to sit on your *** at work for 10 hours a day.
I believe this is going to be a really bad thing for our generation and for gererations that follow us. That is why I cycle to work and home as much as I can, as well as being active in other ways, like walking to the shops, going for a walk after dinner or jogging around my local park. Recent research in this area is very alarming:
Start Moving! Sitting Can Reduce Your Life Expectancy​
According to a study published in the online journal BMJ Open if you sit for more than three hours a day, your life expectancy is lowered by about two years. Throwing in a few hours of watching TV can add another 1.4 years.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/10/sitting-can-reduce-your-life-expectancy/

Back