Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

Recently started living the vegan lifestyle and have to say I feel great. The first week was a little hard but ok. But after that it becomes normal.

I'm never hungry because in volume I eat much more than I ate before.

Recently started living the vegan lifestyle and have to say I feel great. The first week was a little hard but ok. But after that it becomes normal.

Do you include wheat germ,chia, flax, and nutritional yeast (I think they call it savory yeast here) in your diet?

I'm not vegan, but considering adding them to my diet, to boost nutrients...

Do you include wheat germ,chia, flax, and nutritional yeast (I think they call it savory yeast here) in your diet?

I'm not vegan, but considering adding them to my diet, to boost nutrients...

Chia and flax yes. The other two no because I'm also trying to be gluten free.

I recommend this book; catching fire by Richard wrangham.

Chia and flax yes. The other two no because I'm also trying to be gluten free.

The reason nutritional yeast is popular with vegans as that it's usually fortified with B12, a nutrient very difficult for vegans to obtain. B12 can only be obtained naturally from animal products, so make sure you're either eating enough food fortified with B12 (many soy products are, for instance) or you're supplementing.

The reason nutritional yeast is popular with vegans as that it's usually fortified with B12, a nutrient very difficult for vegans to obtain. B12 can only be obtained naturally from animal products, so make sure you're either eating enough food fortified with B12 (many soy products are, for instance) or you're supplementing.
I have actually been vegan for some time now but not 100%, which means in social gatherings I would make an exception. I also get a blood check etc once a year and the doc says I'm super healthy. He doesn't know I'm vegan and gluten free. I've gone for periods of 6 months without any meat at all and my results were good. But I would consider taking b12 supps if my results show I'm b12 deficient.

What about Vegemite?

What about Vegemite?

Vegemite has all the other B vitamins but not B12. Some of the other mite spreads e.g. Mightymite, Sanitarium Marmite contain B12 but aren't as delicious imo. They're a decent additional source of B12 but the amount in a serving size isn't enough to meet B12 needs alone so I'd rather just eat Vegemite and get B12 elsewhere.

I have actually been vegan for some time now but not 100%, which means in social gatherings I would make an exception. I also get a blood check etc once a year and the doc says I'm super healthy. He doesn't know I'm vegan and gluten free. I've gone for periods of 6 months without any meat at all and my results were good. But I would consider taking b12 supps if my results show I'm b12 deficient.

B12 stores take years to deplete so generally B12 deficiency won't show up for a few years. B12 is more of a long term concern. Deficiency in long term vegans is high.

I've switched between vegetarianism, veganism and pescatarianism for 15+ years and my B12 levels are on the very low end of normal (I never supplemented). I don't doubt had I been vegan for all of that time I would have been deficient (I was only a vegan for 2+ years).

My husband who had an almost identical diet to mine has too much B12 on account of drinking energy drinks which contain 400% of his daily B12 needs :rolleyes:

B12 stores take years to deplete so generally B12 deficiency won't show up for a few years. B12 is more of a long term concern. Deficiency in long term vegans is high.

I've switched between vegetarianism, veganism and pescatarianism for 15+ years and my B12 levels are on the very low end of normal (I never supplemented). I don't doubt had I been vegan for all of that time I would have been deficient (I was only a vegan for 2+ years).
B12 deficiency affects non-vegetarians too due to impaired absorption (lack of intrinsic factor or ileal malabsorption). There are actually six main causes of vitamin B12 deficiency and only one of them is diet. I've never been tested but I get very grumpy if I don't supplement daily. It only takes about 2 weeks of not taking daily supplements for grumpiness to set in, so I assume I have one or two of the issues in the list of six :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's interesting. This is the best summary I have seen on the topic

https://www.sah.org.au/assets/files/PDFs/Pathology PDFs/Vitamin B12 Update_San Dr.pdf

No workout but I did my first running workout of the year. I added it up in my head and got the maths wrong so I set the wrong workout in my running watch. Consequently, it was a lot more difficult to finish than expected by I got there, so :p

I seem to have lost basically all my running fitness, so I found this difficult too complete: 5 minute warm up, 1:30 jogging + 60 sec walking (repeat 8 times), 5 minute cool down. Still good to get the first one over.

I was using the treadmill for a while then went for a run outside, different type of running and I felt it :D

If I use the Treadmill I will usually incline 2%+

Perthguy, when you want to try a 5K run check out www.Parkrun.com.au there are all levels of runners there

Western Australian areas:
  • Aveley
  • Bibra Lake
  • Bunbury
  • Canning River
  • Carine Glades
  • Claisebrook Cove
  • Dawesville
  • Geographe Bay
  • Heirisson Island
  • Kalgoorlie-Boulder
  • Lake Joondalup
  • Manjimup
  • Mt Clarence
  • Pioneer
  • Rockingham

Perthguy, when you want to try a 5K run check out www.Parkrun.com.au there are all levels of runners there
* Claisebrook Cove
Yep! I have been checking that out and was planning to participate last year. Claisebrook Cove is my closest. I had a few minor medical issues which stopped me getting up to 5k but I should be there by about 1st of June this year.

I actually started training for my first 5k in Jan 2012 and I still haven't got up to that point. I have biomechanical issues with my knees/shins/hips which means I can't build up very fast but if I build slowly, I can run pain free.

After I get my run fitness back, I can go back to my favourite run workout, which I call "mountains"

30 sec jog
30 sec easy run
30 sec run
30 sec sprint
30 sec jog

repeat 6 times and increase the number of repeats when it gets too easy :D

I would love to be able to do a minute of each and repeat 4 times. I reckon that would be a great workout!

Ok. So I did a workout. It was a lot more difficult and boring than I remember (it's been a while) and now I feel sore :mad:

I wish I could outsource my exercise. I would pay someone to do it :D

I wonder how long before I don't find it so unpleasant?

Ok. So I did a workout. It was a lot more difficult and boring than I remember (it's been a while) and now I feel sore :mad:

I wish I could outsource my exercise. I would pay someone to do it :D

I wonder how long before I don't find it so unpleasant?

Good work! I found as my fitness increased so did my level of enjoyment. I still push myself hard but now I enjoy the pain and if hurt the next day(s) even better! I am now at the stage where I really enjoy my exercise and get cranky if I can't.

A couple of weeks ago I sprained my ankle and was out of action for a while then Friday just gone I went to boot camp and following that I contracted the plague (read: man flu) so am just starting to feel human again. Can't wait to get out and about tomorrow to do something. Might climb my local hill and smash my pb!

I'm back into training for powerlifting after an 18 month hiatus, virtually starting from scratch again. Its both physically and psychologically challenging starting over again.

There's plenty of parallels to investing. Slave away each day (at work or at gym), get runs on the board (savings or training sessions), and eventually you can get a result (an IP or a medal). Just have to stick to both when other forces are pulling in other directions.

Last edited:
Back