Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

Well, I survived my first Pilates class and I can already tell that I won't be continuing with the classes after the end of the fitness challenge. A lot of my muscles targeted by this Pilates class already get a lot of work through cycling and running. The area I need to work on is core, but I'm sure there are much more masculine ways of torching my core in a lot less time than it takes to do a Pilates class. ;) I can do butch planks, manly weighted crunches, masculine side planks and macho barbell weighted squats. :D

I also don't stretch, so some of my muscles are a bit tight (aka, like concrete). I didn't feel like Pilates did much stretching. It feels to me like yoga does more. However, I'm sure after the fitness challenge ends that I can dump yoga and do a much more manly stretching for men routine. Actually, I have a video stretching for flexibility for men which is much quicker than a yoga session. It skips all the introspecting and gets right down to business. I like that a lot better. No muss, no fuss, no soul searching ;)

I joke, but it is funny how people can get completely the wrong impression about strangers from a couple of posts on a web forum. A couple of years ago, I crashed my bike and broke my knee. I didn't go a see a doctor, I just took some pain killers and hobbled around work. Everyone insisted I should see a doctor but I insisted that it wasn't broken and just kept walking it out. I was back to cycling less than two weeks later and the pain mostly went away after a couple of months.

It wasn't until I developed borderline stress fractures in both shins that I had my knee examined at the same time as a MRI on my shins. The MRI confirmed I had broken my knee but the medical advice I got was to keep cycling and after that I took up running too. It felt a little strange on that knee for a while, but I made a full recovery. There is a serious side to this story because it was after that I found out that recent research into that specific injury found that the tradition treatment left patients without full mobility in their treated knee. I was lucky I didn't get treatment because I made a full recovery and have full mobility in that knee. Brilliant! :D

Maybe all this mediation, pilates and yoga mumbo jumbo has something to it :confused:

My run training on the 3rd of this month (Interval training): distance covered 2.08 km, average pace 5:44/km. Today I did the same workout: distance covered 2.26 km, average pace 5:17/km. I used what I learned in meditation to keep my focus, I used yoga breathing to get my breath back between intervals and pilates to maintain a neutral spine (better posture improves running performance). Who'd have thunk it? (hint: not me! :p )

Maybe all this mediation, pilates and yoga mumbo jumbo has something to it :confused:

1055jqo.jpg

My run training on the 3rd of this month (Interval training): distance covered 2.08 km, average pace 5:44/km. Today I did the same workout: distance covered 2.26 km, average pace 5:17/km. I used what I learned in meditation to keep my focus, I used yoga breathing to get my breath back between intervals and pilates to maintain a neutral spine (better posture improves running performance). Who'd have thunk it? (hint: not me! :p )

Great

That seems a good pace for a beginner , was that outdoors or on a treadmill

Great

That seems a good pace for a beginner , was that outdoors or on a treadmill
Outdoors. Let's just say that I have issues with running. It took me a long time to learn how to run without being in a lot of pain. Now that I can do that, I have to increase my training load very slowly to avoid injury. If I do all that, running is great! :D

Outdoors. Let's just say that I have issues with running. It took me a long time to learn how to run without being in a lot of pain. Now that I can do that, I have to increase my training load very slowly to avoid injury. If I do all that, running is great! :D

For majority of people, its just realising not to heel strike.

I'm doing a quick diet for upcoming vacation. Looking forward to 12 week bulk upon return.

For majority of people, its just realising not to heel strike.
Lucky them. I have a double whammy of very poor 'natural' running form and bio-mechanical issues (I am knock kneed). I had to research a style of running that suits my issues and then learn it. I picked evolution running, got the program, did the drills, practiced a lot, and finally got to a point where I could start run training. It's going pretty well now. I did a 1 km time trial, a 400 m fast run and 40 yard dash (American) for a fitness test today. All went well.

I'm doing a quick diet for upcoming vacation. Looking forward to 12 week bulk upon return.
That's a lot of dedicated eating! :D

Oh yeah, after the running and sprinting, I tried to do a wall sit test. I lasted 16 seconds :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZMMhqfpSqw

Lucky them. I have a double whammy of very poor 'natural' running form and bio-mechanical issues (I am knock kneed). I had to research a style of running that suits my issues and then learn it. I picked evolution running, got the program, did the drills, practiced a lot, and finally got to a point where I could start run training. It's going pretty well now. I did a 1 km time trial, a 400 m fast run and 40 yard dash (American) for a fitness test today. All went well.

Oh yeah, after the running and sprinting, I tried to do a wall sit test. I lasted 16 seconds :eek:

What were your times? When is the next TT due to be run so we can compare?

pinkboy

Hadnt tried wall sit test before so just tried it in my lounge room (while watching the cricket) and lasted a minute. Started aching cuz ive been sitting all day; if I was properly warmed up could prob last for ages.

I do barbell squats and pause at the bottom sometimes, so I guess that helps.

I'll post all my results tomorrow.

4 weeks is the next one.

Look forward to seeing your results.
I'm about to start some sprint training up to 400m max at 40 years old now.
Tried about 2 1/2 weeks ago but pulled a hammie, stupid me for rushing into it after being not very active.
Will be stretching and warming up better from now on.

Are you in Pinkboy?

Back