Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

Look forward to seeing your results.
I'm about to start some sprint training up to 400m max at 40 years old now.
Tried about 2 1/2 weeks ago but pulled a hammie, stupid me for rushing into it after being not very active.
I'm 44, so that's not any excuse ;)

But yeah, you gotta warm up properly if you are going to sprint. For my warm up yesterday, I walked, then ran a 5:05 minute km, then did some warm up drills and then sprinted. I didn't "pull" anything, but I am sore today... quads and core.

Interim results:
40 Yard Dash: 7.16 seconds
60 Yard Shuttle: 16.62 seconds
400 Meter Run: 1:37.3 (1 minute, 37.3 seconds)
1 km run: 5:04.9

I am working my way through these tests and will hopefull have a full set by the end of the day:
http://www.realfitscore.com/fitness-tests.php

It's good to record results and track progress, just keep those damn injuries away....
Look forward to seeing your improvements in 4 weeks.

I believe the standing long jump in the link has been recently broken By Byron Jones - over 12 foot.

It's good to record results and track progress, just keep those damn injuries away....
Look forward to seeing your improvements in 4 weeks.
I'm looking forward to seeing some improvements too. Not sure yet what I am going to target. The running events probably first and then anything that is 'below average' after that I guess. Injuries aren't too much of a problem for me (fingers crossed). I'm very careful.

I believe the standing long jump in the link has been recently broken By Byron Jones - over 12 foot.
:eek:

I'm 44, so that's not any excuse ;)

But yeah, you gotta warm up properly if you are going to sprint. For my warm up yesterday, I walked, then ran a 5:05 minute km, then did some warm up drills and then sprinted. I didn't "pull" anything, but I am sore today... quads and core.

Interim results:
40 Yard Dash: 7.16 seconds
60 Yard Shuttle: 16.62 seconds
400 Meter Run: 1:37.3 (1 minute, 37.3 seconds)
1 km run: 5:04.9

I am working my way through these tests and will hopefull have a full set by the end of the day:
http://www.realfitscore.com/fitness-tests.php

Hi Perthguy

Are you using some type of app for the distances/times (US)?

Hi Perthguy

Are you using some type of app for the distances/times (US)?
Yes, I have an app for the distances: a tape measure! :p

I have an antique tape measure that has yards on one side and the new fangled metres on the other side. It's really only the 40 yard dash, 60 yard shuttle and medicine ball throw that need the tape measure. The 400 metre and 5 km are standard.

Actually, I'm lucky to have the tape measure because those distances don't translate well to metric. It's a pity they don't have a metric option. I have a feeling they set up the web site with great hopes but it kind of flopped and they are not developing it any more. Still, it covers most of what I am looking for to baseline then improve on, so it will do for me.

Firstly, I have a better understanding of fitness in general since then.

Secondly, actually it wasn't. When I was long distance running, I was doing 10k's 3 or 4 times a week.

When I switched to HIIT, I got roughly the same results after one month that took me six months doing long distance. Now, take into consideration, the HIIT consisted of walking 2 - 3k's, with intermittent sprints of about 100 metres, 3 times a week. The results speak for themselves.

It's like juicing - the ♥science♥ clearly shows that juicing, whilst not *unhealthy*, isn't healthy either, as it removes the fibre from the fruit and veg and leaves all the sugar, but people still swear by it.

Look, don't get me wrong, it's way better than sitting on your fat can, getting fatter, but cardio is inefficient in the extreme.

The 60 yard (or 55 metre) shuttle is a bit more involved than it appeared

RealFit 60 yard shuttle -Youtube
I don't have yoga block thingys, so I just used empty australia post boxes. They around the same size and did the job. It was funny, the first time I set it up with the boxes every 5 feet instead of every 5 yards... thinking, hmm, something doesn't look right about this. :D

Apparently it tests agility, speed and coordination. It's pretty full on and is over very quickly. I was stuffed by that point, so I only tried it once. I will practice a couple of time in the next 4 weeks and see if I can improve my time.

5.gif

When I switched to HIIT, I got roughly the same results after one month that took me six months doing long distance. Now, take into consideration, the HIIT consisted of walking 2 - 3k's, with intermittent sprints of about 100 metres, 3 times a week. The results speak for themselves.
I am doing intervals now but not HIIT because I am not fit enough to do that yet. After week 8 I should be able to get back into my HIIT routine, which is my favourite running workout. To put it mildly, I find slow jogging laps of the oval to be very low quality in terms of enjoyment. On the other hand, sprinting is brilliant! It's just that you have to have a certain level of fitness to be able to pull off a decent sprint session without getting injured. I'm nearly there and really looking forward to it.

It's like juicing - the ♥science♥ clearly shows that juicing, whilst not *unhealthy*, isn't healthy either, as it removes the fibre from the fruit and veg and leaves all the sugar, but people still swear by it.
Ugh! Don't get me started on the nutri-bullet ads with the special "nutrient release" technology. If chewing the fruit/veggies into pulp, stomach acid and intestinal microbiota can't extract the nutrients, then they are not going to be extracted, machine or not. I reckon juicing is a great way to exceed required energy with no effort involved.

Look, don't get me wrong, it's way better than sitting on your fat can, getting fatter, but cardio is inefficient in the extreme.
I agree. I don't have time for inefficient workouts.

Sprints are great for teaching the body to run quicker if that's your goal...

For example I was stuck at a 26 minute 5k run for months... After 3 weeks of adding a weekly session of 8x300 metres sprints I ran a PB of 22 minutes and I was able to cruise at a faster pace.. Apparently it's all about training your fast twitch muscles as well as the slow twitch ones..

Always jog a couple of kilometers before sprinting to help prevent injuries..

Full results are in. I got an incomplete because I didn't meet minimum standards for a couple of tests. That will do for this time. Total score 366. Aiming for a 500.

Test - Raw Inputs - Rating
40 Yard Dash - 7.00 seconds 16.00 hundredths - Average
Standing Long Jump - 6.00 feet 4.00 inches - Average
60 Yard Shuttle - 16.00 seconds 62.00 hundredths - Below Average
Max Bench Press - 132.00 pounds 2.00 repetitions - Average
Max Pull-Ups - 0.00 repetitions - Below Minimum
400 Meter Run - 97.00 seconds 3.00 hundredths - Average
Wall Sit - 0.00 minutes 16.00 seconds - Near Minimum
Squat Thrust Jump - 16.00 repetitions - Below Average
5K Run - 29.00 minutes 54.00 seconds - Well Below Average
8lb Medicine Ball OH Toss - 19.00 feet 0.00 inches - Below Average
Plank Hold Time - 1.00 minutes 30.00 seconds - Average