Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

Firstly, I have a better understanding of fitness in general since then.

Secondly, actually it wasn't. When I was long distance running, I was doing 10k's 3 or 4 times a week.

When I switched to HIIT, I got roughly the same results after one month that took me six months doing long distance. Now, take into consideration, the HIIT consisted of walking 2 - 3k's, with intermittent sprints of about 100 metres, 3 times a week. The results speak for themselves.

It's like juicing - the ♥science♥ clearly shows that juicing, whilst not *unhealthy*, isn't healthy either, as it removes the fibre from the fruit and veg and leaves all the sugar, but people still swear by it.

Look, don't get me wrong, it's way better than sitting on your fat can, getting fatter, but cardio is inefficient in the extreme.

Tell me, what is your HR doing after each sprint while you're walking?

pinkboy

Tell me, what is your HR doing after each sprint while you're walking?

pinkboy
I can give you some stats from my last round if you are interested. I did a total of 6 sprints with max heart rates of 174, 171, 172, 172, 174, 174. During the walk after the spring, av heart rate dropped to 132, 125, 130, 131, 130, 128. I don't have min HR in my stats but I can estimate it from the graphs: 127, 120, 127, 129, 125, 126. The highest HR my HRM has recorded is 189.

That was such a great workout. I'm counting down until I'm fit enough to do it again! :D

No idea, never checked it.

I haven't done HIIT in a long time.

I was asking in general, not specifically to you. But because you don't know either I will explain.

Long, slow distance running should be performed as close to aerobic threshold as possible. The problem is, because people don't know this magic number specific to them (and other factors such as time of day/temperature/hydration etc), they often underachieve the workout and the fat burning less efficiently. Personally, I know my body well enough to know where to go close to this threshold, even without looking at heart rate (haven't done so for years specifically).

HIIT perhaps works because the body is exposed to a high spike in heart rate (almost max), then immediately falls to a level of aerobic threshold (while you walk to recover), which in turn keeps it at this more magic/efficient heart rate for longer than say someone running long and slow, but too slow. The more active the walking recovery, the closer to the zone your heart rate will stay.

Saying one is better than the other is essentially wrong, especially specifically to yourself, because both ways (HIIT/Long Distance Running) do exactly the same thing, but one is not being performed to its maximum effectiveness. That doesn't prove though that one is better than the other. All it proves is you specifically perform one better than the other.

pinkboy

Didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if weight training has been mentioned.

Doesn't work for all, and possibly more suited to people who don't need to lose alot, but maintain without dieting. ie. me.
After gaining a bit of muscle I can now eat without worrying too much with dieting. I barely cardio besides 5-10 mins warmup but try and keep my weight training high intensity(except squats because i tend to lose form when out of breath).

Before gaining muscle, id find i put on 'fat' easily and would have to diet/cardio periodically.

Everyone is different so while the scientific calculations of calorie intake/expenditure is real, its not usually optimal.

Saying one is better than the other is essentially wrong, especially specifically to yourself, because both ways (HIIT/Long Distance Running) do exactly the same thing, but one is not being performed to its maximum effectiveness. That doesn't prove though that one is better than the other. All it proves is you specifically perform one better than the other.

pinkboy
Another factor is motivation/enjoyment. I will feel demotivated at grinding out another long, slow run, which I do not enjoy. Conversely, I really enjoy a good HIIT workout and look forward to doing it. Of course that doesn't mean that one is better than the other, but HIIT is better for me because it gets me out there.

I know other people who have got more out of the long slow runs using the Maffetone Method which is a way of keeping heart rate within defined parameters. I have had a look at it and it makes a lot of sense to me. If you are going to 'long slow run' you may as well do it as smart as possible:

http://www.philmaffetone.com/what-is-the-maffetone-method

Another factor is motivation/enjoyment.

This one is a fairly big part. If you enjoy something you'll keep doing it. Doesn't really matter what activity it is, but staying active is important. If it sucks (like long running does for me) then I'm less likely to commit to a consistent plan of it.

Have you done any form of anything in a while? :p

What do you do these days?

From earlier this week. Any resemblance to Hugh Jackman is purely coincidental.

BQb3RVYCIAAYzfv.jpg

The funniest thing about that is the media reporting it as a "selfie". No media, it's just a photo.

I think that is more weights than I have in my entire gym.

If you want to lose weight get IBS. Works wonders for me. If I eat anything remotely interesting I'll get sick for a week.

The thing I miss the most is garlic bread. It's got the holy trinity for setting off IBS - butter (Disaccharides) - bread (Oligosaccharides) and garlic (Monosaccharides).

Back in the day when a tiny bit of dairy didin't have me doubled over in agony for a week, I used to drink about 3L of milk a day and do a lot of weight lifting. Gained a good 12kg of muscle doing that. Unfortunately I've lost a lot of that muscle now.

Will have to try to do body building with a fodmap diet one of these days. I wonder if it's achieveable.

Back