Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

Good stuff mate!

Losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. It's a very simple concept as you've said but people don't seem to understand

yep. I spend every week trying to convince people of this. Exercise is important for health, but for weight control diet is the major factor. I am a big believer that there is no point in 'going on a diet' either. Rather you need to change you diet for the longterm and eat in a way that you can maintain and still enjoy the good things in moderation. Everyone can loose weight, if they put their minds to it. Keeping it off is the hard part.

I turned 60 over 12 months ago and I decided to join my local Gym
One year on I have lost 11kg and am 65k
I go 5 times a week and spend 1.5 hrs there every day
Best I have felt in 30 years
I dont eat junk food MANAGE MY INTAKE OF FOOD
BenefitS ,Fit,Healthy,Positve Attitude,
Looking forward to climb Sydney Harbour Bridge when I am 80
Did it in March this year

SENIOR

Great stuff Senior. I met a bloke 72 that had a home gym and he'd put most guys 1/3 his age to shame , really inspiring . He was selling up to travel Asia.

Cheers

yep. I spend every week trying to convince people of this. Exercise is important for health, but for weight control diet is the major factor. I am a big believer that there is no point in 'going on a diet' either. Rather you need to change you diet for the longterm and eat in a way that you can maintain and still enjoy the good things in moderation. Everyone can loose weight, if they put their minds to it. Keeping it off is the hard part.

I've only lost around 6kg in 6 mths but some here have done 3x that. I'm not interested in records though , or pain ;) , or hunger , or living like a munk , so I'm getting there but on my terms . 4 to go. I still eat and drink what I want just not as much of it. But I am trying to eat more fruit and veg - cause it's good for you and taking it a bit easier on the garbage.

This exercise stuff does depend one hell of a lot to on what you do for work and how you live , hobbies and stuff. Spose if I was at a desk all day I'd do more but with owning a few acreage places and a couple of renovators , and living near the beach with kids, too much weights definitely more about being a bit of a guts than anything .

Cheers

If you look at two people with an equal height and weight one can have a very attractive, healthy body and the other can have a very flabby, unattractive body. Two people with the same BMI can be totally different looks and health wise. The difference is exercise!

When it comes to diet I find it very easy to lose weight if I stick to 1200 calories spread over 6 small meals a day. I lose about .5 to 1kg per week without exercise on that sort of diet. To be honest I wouldn't even call 1200 calories a diet. I could live quite comfortably on 1200 calories per day and I think that is the reason it works so well. It becomes more of a lifestyle. Unfortunately that lifestyle ends at exam time when I eat family size blocks of chocolate to get me through my study :(

If I have a day when I feel like going over those 1200 calories and having a chocolate bar or take out I just make sure I don’t go over 1500 calories and I do a little exercise to make up for it. About an hour or so that day or the next. I use exercise to tone up and to cover my “bonus” foods on top of the 1200 calories I guess.

I don't drink alcohol so I guess that makes it easier to control my weight. I remember when I used to drink I could gain up to 2kg in one night out! I guess it's partly the alcohol and partly the calories in the cocktails, juice or soft drink you have with it.

I also find if you have your meals totally planned out for the week it is much easier to stick to a diet. It's when I'm too lazy to go supermarket shopping that I end up eating junk.

Eliptical Trainer
- 12 minutes, 4km and 270 Calories

When we lived in the US we had a terrific gym at our apartment complex.

They had 3 really good quality elyptical trainers, and I went on them 5 days per week for 30 mins.

They are fantastic compared to running (which I love but my body doesn't - shin splints).

My goal was to burn off 500 calories in 30 mins, and most times it could be done. Some days it was harder than others.

I found them much better than the simple exercise bike, or treadmill, and the overall body workout felt more complete.

I have a home gym have been using for 4 years
went from 83-85 kg down to 81 kg not very impressive is it
However my waist went down 6 holes in my belt my legs were a sight to see
my body felt great much more energy all the time.
My diet did not change much If anything I ate more
Due to injury ( Gangleon ) small fibirous growth in my wrist I have not been on my gym since dec.
surgen thinks I should be ok now to resume my work out
weight now 84-86 kg belt back to former self fat levels high.
motivation at a all time low just to lazy.
Must dust off the gym. B4 it is to late

If you want to track your calorie intake and exercise, a great website is www.calorieking.com.au. It's what I used for a long time to track my food intake and the exercise I was doing. Unfortunately I haven't checked in for a while (about to though) and so I've put back on a little bit of weight. Really found it helped me be aware of how much I was overeating.

When we lived in the US we had a terrific gym at our apartment complex.

They had 3 really good quality elyptical trainers, and I went on them 5 days per week for 30 mins.

They are fantastic compared to running (which I love but my body doesn't - shin splints).

My goal was to burn off 500 calories in 30 mins, and most times it could be done. Some days it was harder than others.

I found them much better than the simple exercise bike, or treadmill, and the overall body workout felt more complete.

Hi Bayview,

Are you still keeping active?

I hear you with regards to some days being harder than others and have noted with interest the diet of the night before and its contributing factor also.

There's a guy at the gym I go to, who hits the eliptical trainers pretty much every morning (he's there before me, so unsure how long he's on for), I did sneak a peak at the level he was at though, as he was always working up a good sweat (Level 18).

Due to an earlier injury, my ankle sometimes plays up, so the eliptical trainer is a great warm-up on the joints for me.

Yeah I started getting the shin thing a few mths back myself and got a bit worried.
But seems I'd just bought a new pair of runners I put in 3 extra sole inserts in each and found a new track , no concrete or bitumen, the problem cleared up straight away.
The sole inserts have worn in nicely now too.
When I've worn this pair out I'm going for the thickest soles I can find in the future and staying off the hard stuff.

Cheers

Here's the secret:

Eat less, move more.
Learn to cook.

As well as the "eat less" part of it, switch to plain food and go back to basics and forget all the refined foods with about 27 ingredients listed on the bag/packet. Be sparing with bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, forget biscuits, crisps, lollies, etc. - all the things that were once kept for special occasions but have now snuck into everyday life.

Think back to what your family ate when you were a child, or even what your grandparents ate (for those who can't remember a time without Maccas).

But don't deny yourself the occasional splurge - so long as it IS occasional. MIL was always at weight watchers, and one year someone asked the lecturer what they could eat for Christmas. "Anything you want" was the answer - but with the rider "remember Christmas is only one day".
Marg

Here's the secret:

Eat less, move more.
Learn to cook.

As well as the "eat less" part of it, switch to plain food and go back to basics and forget all the refined foods with about 27 ingredients listed on the bag/packet. Be sparing with bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, forget biscuits, crisps, lollies, etc. - all the things that were once kept for special occasions but have now snuck into everyday life.

Think back to what your family ate when you were a child, or even what your grandparents ate (for those who can't remember a time without Maccas).

But don't deny yourself the occasional splurge - so long as it IS occasional. MIL was always at weight watchers, and one year someone asked the lecturer what they could eat for Christmas. "Anything you want" was the answer - but with the rider "remember Christmas is only one day".
Marg

Great post.

In fact, cut down on carbohydrates as much as you can and always make sure you avoid sugar. Eat more healthy fats (olive oil, coco nut oil, flax seed, avocados, rice bran oil, grapde seed oil), except do not warm these oils up unless you are using coconut oil or rice bran oil. Heating most oils destroys their structure and makes them carcinogenic.

100 years ago people ate on average 5 KGs of sugar a year, now an average Aussie eats 70 KGs of sugar per year. Is it any wonder why so many obese people are out there?

Sugar is added to almost everything in the processed and packaged foods you buy in supermarkets and junk food outlets.

Apply the rule of "if it comes packaged, it's probably not good for you".

More vegies, more fruit, less carbos and more lean protein.

If you are overweight, it will help a LOT to completely ditch all grains, and instead get your fix of healthy carbs from vegetables. Avoid all bread and potatoes to start off with.

If you still like to visit junk food places. DITCH THE CHIPS. Never eat fried potato chips as all they are is: fatty, starchy, full of table salt and with ZERO nutritional value).

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...onwheat-grains-can-also-hurt-your-health.aspx

Here's the secret:

Eat less, move more.

Hmm I'm not sure if I agree with "eat less" (if you mean quantity wise rather than calories).

I actually think in some cases weight loss can mean eating more and eating often! You just have to be eating the right foods which are nutrient dense.

I've known some large people who eat very little. It's just that the one or two meals they're eating are very energy dense.

I've known some large people who eat very little. It's just that the one or two meals they're eating are very energy dense.

Agree. A lot of the food that piles on the weight is high energy, low density food.

We need to eat more high density low energy food, ie. a huge bowl of steamed veggies instead of a double cheese burger or a plate of cut up fruit as opposed to a caramel tart.

Eat more healthy fats (olive oil, coco nut oil, flax seed, avocados, rice bran oil, grapde seed oil), except do not warm these oils up unless you are using coconut oil or rice bran oil. Heating most oils destroys their structure and makes them carcinogenic.

Macadamia Nut oil is great.
As far as I know, it's ok to be heated.
I use it with all my cooking.

I happened to catch a piece on Sunrise by Dr OZ who is currently in OZ.

The part I remembered was he commented that the best place in the supermarket is the fruit and vegetable, mother natures pharmacy.

if you see a brightly colored fruit or vegetable you can be sure of one thing, mother nature put it there to protect the plant, usually from free radical damage caused by the sun.

He also mentioned he always carries some nuts with him as they have good fats within; which ties in with my current eating plan.

Inside our bodies, hundreds of biochemical reactions are taking place 24 hours a day, what we eat and drink will either assist or hinder the processes occuring.

Hmm I'm not sure if I agree with "eat less" (if you mean quantity wise rather than calories).

I actually think in some cases weight loss can mean eating more and eating often! You just have to be eating the right foods which are nutrient dense.

You are very right. When I was very overweight, I ate a lot less 'food' then I do now and whilst I was loosing weight. I eat very large quanities of food nowdays. What has changed is the quality of the food I am putting in my mouth. Everything is bulked up with nice fresh healthy fruit and vege; and alot less in terms of protein, fats, sugars and carbohydrates. I still eat all of those things, but only the serves I am supposed to consume, and my serviing sizes are now actually measured - not just guessed. It is surprising how small a serve of anything actually is.

Last edited:
I happened to catch a piece on Sunrise by Dr OZ who is currently in OZ.

The part I remembered was he commented that the best place in the supermarket is the fruit and vegetable, mother natures pharmacy.

if you see a brightly colored fruit or vegetable you can be sure of one thing, mother nature put it there to protect the plant, usually from free radical damage caused by the sun.

He also mentioned he always carries some nuts with him as they have good fats within; which ties in with my current eating plan.

Inside our bodies, hundreds of biochemical reactions are taking place 24 hours a day, what we eat and drink will either assist or hinder the processes occuring.

Therefore I encourage anyone to read a bit more into what Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint) has unearthed in his years of research into eating and living Primal. Don't just glaze over it...read into it and it all comes together and makes perfect sense (to me anyway).

Yes, eating less is ok if you are eating the right stuff. It's not about the amount you eat....it's the quality and what your body needs to function and have in reserve for those demanding times.
You don't need to be doing miles running and hours upon hours of gym. Just do a natural amount of exercise but mix it up....some walking, some running, even a short sprint, even dancing with your partner is excellent exercise as it also encompases some enjoyment in exercise. Play is a big thing as well...mucking about with the kids, a wrestle, a chase etc...why hit the pavement for untold klms and get shin splinters...??

Balance that with some simple fruits, veges, meat and nuts/seed (not grains) and limit the sugar, processed foods, and hi carbs and you are living primal.

Anyway, seems we all agree that something has to be done to prevent from becoming overweight and resultantly unhealthy in the process.

Back